Weight loss journey alone :(

Options
I'm doing this weightloss journey practically alone. I'm exercising about 5-6 times a day and mostly eating clean and people look/talk to me in a way that's unsupportive and disheartening. People around me don't eat healthy, my friends say they want to lose weight and they exercised with me about once or twice the entire time. They eat junk food all the time. They always say things that are along the lines of "you're fine just the way you are." and that's fine but never once have they told me "I see you're working hard! Good job!" I remember when I was 20 pounds heavier and absolutely miserable with myself they said "you're fine just the way you are.", Around that time, I ate ramen breakfast, lunch, and dinner. With the occasional treat of hot cheetos and muffins. (Seriously) I thought a whole bag of cheetos was about 100-200 calories, I was not okay. I didn't even know what a serving size was! I was staving my body of nutrients and had I not changed, who knows where I'd be.

Anyway, long story short, I feel miserable, and all I want to do is give up and eat sweets until I'm sick of it. But I've been on this journey and have come too far to go back to that time. I don't know what I really want. I just want some sort of support on this issue.

I'm a college student living in the dorms.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Eat "good" or "clean" or "healthy" (whatever those words mean to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your macros. Deprivation can lead to binges. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

Maybe you could find some supportive MFP friends?
  • MinyMinnie
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, I do have treats here and there. :)

Although,usually I just go for some tasty fruit.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, you are truly not alone....
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    You are doing this for you what does it matter who's doing it with you?
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Why are you exercising 5-6 times per day?
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    You're not alone! How many calories are you eating a day? Everything is in moderation is key. You're craving sweets so much because you're depriving yourself.

Also, exercising five to six times a day? Hopefully it's nothing over 15 minutes per time - that seems a bit much.
  • tabbyxxcat
    tabbyxxcat Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. When I was a senior in high school, no one thought I would actually lose weight and that MFP was rubbish. I would spend $30 of my $70 I made a week working weekends at a movie theater on healthy food that my parents didn't see fit to buy me. I would hit the pavement and jog my neighborhood at 5am or 10pm, both times when my parents were snuggled in bed.

It takes self dedication and lots of self control, but when you look in the mirror you will see the reward of your accomplishments. You probably already see them now!

It is a very personal journey, losing weight and getting fit. If you give in to food, the only person you will be giving up on is yourself, and that is a hard blow. Let yourself have a square of chocolate or a spoonful of whipped cream or something, then push onward.

Feel free to join a gym, find a fitness club on campus to meet up with a few times a week, etc. to feel more of a part of a community. It will help you feel accountable, knowing that people are going to be waiting for you to show up for your usual workout (I sure know the regular staff at my gym does haha).

The main point: hang it in your mirror, write it in your phone, do something to remind yourself...
    I AM DOING THIS BECAUSE I'M WORTH IT, BUT ONLY I CAN GET MYSELF THERE.

Don't let other people drag you down. Soon, they will be asking you how you did it :)

Best of luck, my love <3
  • rgibson53
    rgibson53 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Please don't get discouraged. You are not alone on your journey. The people here at MFP are a big family of supporters. We will do our best to help you whenever you need it. People who try to distract you from your goals are usually to lazy to do it themselves so they want you to be that way too. If you need friends just send out requests and you will get lots of encouragement.
  • MinyMinnie
    Options
    I'm not depriving myself of anything. :) I eat enough calories. I just crave it now since I feel really down right now.
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this weightloss journey practically alone. I'm exercising about 5-6 times a day and mostly eating clean and people look/talk to me in a way that's unsupportive and disheartening. People around me don't eat healthy, my friends say they want to lose weight and they exercised with me about once or twice the entire time. They eat junk food all the time. They always say things that are along the lines of "you're fine just the way you are." and that's fine but never once have they told me "I see you're working hard! Good job!" I remember when I was 20 pounds heavier and absolutely miserable with myself they said "you're fine just the way you are.", Around that time, I ate ramen breakfast, lunch, and dinner. With the occasional treat of hot cheetos and muffins. (Seriously) I thought a whole bag of cheetos was about 100-200 calories, I was not okay. I didn't even know what a serving size was! I was staving my body of nutrients and had I not changed, who knows where I'd be.

Anyway, long story short, I feel miserable, and all I want to do is give up and eat sweets until I'm sick of it. But I've been on this journey and have come too far to go back to that time. I don't know what I really want. I just want some sort of support on this issue.

Forget what everyone else has to say because at the end of the day YOU have to put the work in not them. If this is a lifestyle you want and is important then you have to ignore them and move steady towards your goal. Majority of the people not living this active, healthy lifestyle won't understand, so let them say whatever, their fat a$$es will be wearing t shirts at the beach while you wear you bikini.

Summer is gonna be here soon, what are you gonna do?
  • dynad
    dynad Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It's not about them it's about you. Focus :)
  • MinyMinnie
    Options
    I know how you feel. When I was a senior in high school, no one thought I would actually lose weight and that MFP was rubbish. I would spend $30 of my $70 I made a week working weekends at a movie theater on healthy food that my parents didn't see fit to buy me. I would hit the pavement and jog my neighborhood at 5am or 10pm, both times when my parents were snuggled in bed.

It takes self dedication and lots of self control, but when you look in the mirror you will see the reward of your accomplishments. You probably already see them now!

It is a very personal journey, losing weight and getting fit. If you give in to food, the only person you will be giving up on is yourself, and that is a hard blow. Let yourself have a square of chocolate or a spoonful of whipped cream or something, then push onward.

Feel free to join a gym, find a fitness club on campus to meet up with a few times a week, etc. to feel more of a part of a community. It will help you feel accountable, knowing that people are going to be waiting for you to show up for your usual workout (I sure know the regular staff at my gym does haha).

The main point: hang it in your mirror, write it in your phone, do something to remind yourself...
    I AM DOING THIS BECAUSE I'M WORTH IT, BUT ONLY I CAN GET MYSELF THERE.

Don't let other people drag you down. Soon, they will be asking you how you did it :)

Best of luck, my love <3
    Thank you! I did come far and I have come to like what;s happening gradually. I feel stronger, healthy, and more energized. I am always busy with hall council duties on top of clubs I'm second in chief of. I have no time to really socialize, or eat ice cream/cookies with the girls(why can't they have a fruit yogurt party or something D:), I get up early to exercise to make it work and the criticism doesn't help because I'm doing it the healthy way. Glad to hear you're doing well. :)
  • MinyMinnie
    Options
    Please don't get discouraged. You are not alone on your journey. The people here at MFP are a big family of supporters. We will do our best to help you whenever you need it. People who try to distract you from your goals are usually to lazy to do it themselves so they want you to be that way too. If you need friends just send out requests and you will get lots of encouragement.
    I really needed to hear this. Thank you. I won't try to let it bother me! I'm sure in time, they will realize, what being healthy means. That doesn't mean starving yourself or depriving. That healthy food can be really yummy!
  • MinyMinnie
    Options

Forget what everyone else has to say because at the end of the day YOU have to put the work in not them. If this is a lifestyle you want and is important then you have to ignore them and move steady towards your goal. Majority of the people not living this active, healthy lifestyle won't understand, so let them say whatever, their fat a$$es will be wearing t shirts at the beach while you wear you bikini.

Summer is gonna be here soon, what are you gonna do?
    You're right, it's about me, not them. I remember dreaming of having fun in Summer in a cute bathing suit when I was much heavier, I can't give up now. I have to believe everything will work out!