uh-oh, now what?

Options
MissAnjy
MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
This morning I got up nice and early with the kids and made us both breakfast. They had chocolate chip pancakes (droooool) and momma had a weight watchers breakfast quesadilla, haha. My meal was 230 calories in total which i think is great for me for breakfast. I was in the midst of planning my lunch when I got called in to work. I rushed in to work and now here i sit at 2:20pm (with another 2 hours to go) & I haven't eaten since 8:00am. It was a "half shift" so I don't get any breaks, and In my rush, I didn't bring anything with me to eat!! When i get home from work (4:30) I have 1 hour to workout before my kids arrive back home from the babysitters and I have to cook supper for us all. I figure, wth? There is no point in eating when i get home (before my workout) because then I can't a) workout on a full stomach and b) it's soooo close to supper, I dont to ruin my appetite for that.

Now, i'm not particularly hungry atm, but I KNOW that I need to eat my recommended calories. So WWYD!?! I have over 1,000 calories left for the day and that's BEFORE I do my hour long workout (not planning on burning much, just keeping it light). However, how am I supposed to eat a 1,000 calorie dinner!?! It just doesn't seem right. What do i do in this situation?

Replies

• tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Provided you don't have trouble feeling starved and then eat everything that's not nailed down, I'd just leave a huge deficit today. One day with lots of calories left won't hurt you. It takes about 3 days before your metabolism is effected, so if you can swing it, consider it bonus.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti, italian sausage and garlic bread! Sorry, it's been on my mind the last couple days.
  • PolkaDot88
    PolkaDot88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When you get home have a small snack (some yogurt or fruit or something like that) before you work out. Do a light workout and make dinner as usual. Don't overeat - eat as much as you are hungry for. If you feel like having a snack after dinner, absolutely do it, but don't try to force yourself to eat if you're not hungry. Eat calorie-rich foods for your snack like nuts. If you're under your calories today that's not a bad thing - one day won't put you in starvation mode. Don't worry so much! :)
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I used to never eat before I exercised, but found out that I couldn't keep up with my runs if I didn't. I will have something like an English muffin with peanut butter, or maybe a hard boiled egg. Just something light enough to keep me going!

L.
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    I am the co-worker who always has something to eat, when someones asks me. Maybe one of your co-workers could spare a snack, fruit, crackers whatever "it" is you can work it in. I would think especially if they know you are losing weight they would be happy to lend a pear! :wink:
    OR on your way home SINCE it's an emergency McDonalds grilled chicken wraps no sauce are a little protein to help with your workout. At about 150 cals.
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    Some peanut butter before you hit the gym would be good. I like mine on a spoon.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    One, or even a few days way below count is not that big a deal. Just go back to what you were doing tomorrow. It's only as big a deal as you make it.
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    Eat just a few bites of anything you can get your hands on to keep your body from shutting down your metabolism thinking you're going into starvation mode.

I do this all the time as I have a really hectic schedule,and I believe the best thing to do is to take a few bites of just about anything.kind of like in the mornings before my work out I will open up a fiber /protein bar or banana and just have a couple of bites,just to start the metabolism running,then have a protein shake when I return from the gym.I worked out on an empty stomach for years and about a year ago a PT told me the philosophy behind it had changed and suggested I do as explained,and I believe it's working.
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about 1 day of not eating your recommended calories but personally, I would have to eat a small snack before I workout if it had been that long since I'd eaten. I get a kinda sick feeling about 20 minutes into my workout if it's been several hours since I've eaten. I'd have a half of a banana or 1/4 of an apple with a tiny bit of peanut butter spread on it. And having this small snack right before I workout doesn't bother me.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Grab a lara or luna bar, it will give you some energy from the protein until you have dinner tonight. Don't worry about not getting all your cals TODAY. But don't make a habbit of it. :)
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    It's OK to sometimes have a day like this. Long term it will have little to no affect. Eat what you can when you can so that you feel OK, but know that it's constantly being under or constantly going long periods w.out food that will screw up your metabolism. One day won't do anything.

If you don't get to eat before your workout be careful, stay hydrated, and maybe at least drink some juice or something first so your sugar does not drop too low.