discouraged

Options
2»

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Im surprised that no one has pointed out that zumba doesn't really burn 'major calories'
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options

Make sure you are eating at least your BMR since you workout pretty hard.

THIS^^ I know because you're my friend that you don't eat enough some days!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    knows won't get results immediately, but discouraged that results do not come immediately ..interesting…

slow and steady wins the race it is not a spring, but a marathon..

I would also recommend looking into some heavy lifting three to four days a week….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Im surprised that no one has pointed out that zumba doesn't really burn 'major calories'

this….ditch zumba and do some lifting...
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options

The OP is doing Zumba class more than 3.0-3.5 hrs/wk and another 1.5 hrs/wk at home. She mentioned that before taking up Zumba, a 1-mile walk was as as good as it got. That's a mighty significant exercise increase for her. Eh, so what if Zumba isn't the best calorie torch? It's 5hrs of legit cardio per week that the OP wasn't getting before. I'd rather see someone ease into Zumba and stick with it versus attempt something unrealistic ("I'm gonna run a 10K every other day and subsist off 1200 cals!") and then flame out... She's probably got better odds at success than the "Help me lose 60lbs in 3 months" crowd.
  • Sonya209
    Options
    Ooh, nice pic! Dang, it sure helps to get a visual of what's left your body!

EDIT: The pic of the palmful of fat on the previous page, I mean.
  • nae7690
    nae7690 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i find that zumba is great cardio and 800 to 1000 calorie burn for 60 to 70 min i think is a good burn plus i enjoy it:-)
  • nae7690
    Options
    yea i know im tryin to do better about that :-/
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Options
    i find that zumba is great cardio and 800 to 1000 calorie burn for 60 to 70 min i think is a good burn plus i enjoy it:-)

^^^ Really, that's the secret right there. Good luck, nae7690. And good attitude!
  • nae7690
    Options
    thank u!!! lol some of these comments wasnt to encouragin..lol ..probably should have kept my thoughts to my self..lol o well everyone has a opinion..
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

I'm doubtful on the 800-1000 cal burn but it's still a good job!
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Ok so, to make you feel better about your loss. I have been working my *kitten* off at the gym, minimum 5 days a week and watching what I eat since the end of November (had my first slip in diet yesterday)! And I have lost a mere 1.5kg / 3.3lb!
    Like you I was getting really down about not losing weight, everyone else was soo easily! 2 weeks ago somebody told me to measure myself aswell (after I told them my workouts and they looked at my food and agreed it wasn't right). Today I re measured for the first compare! I have lost 2 inches from my stomach!! And inches from other areas too!!

So what I suggest is you measure yourself aswell! Because it has made me look at my lack of weight loss so much better! Clearly my muscle is kicking my fats *kitten* out of the way! And we all know muscle is heavier than fat! So you could be like me and actually losing inches instead of pounds!

Oh and your weight loss is good aswell from my point of view!
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options

This is what will see you succeed :)!! Enjoying it will keep you going! Don't go do things that you think erk, why am I here? And then make excuses next time to not go!!

And 800 calories for 60 mins is a bluddy amazing burn in my opinion!!! Anyone who says different, I want to know what your doing to burn so much more?!
  • choukokoko
    choukokoko Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    not to get too personal, but do you take a bcp or any kind of hormonal supplement? one of my sisters and i are in the same boat. there was a time when i was eating a net of 600 calories and burning about 300 calories a day and the weight was flying off - literally, half a pound a day. but my testosterone levels were at the high end of normal (i'm a girl, btw) and my estrogen levels were at the bottom end of normal. my doc prescribed a bcp to treat my pmdd and now i'm still eating a net of 500-600 calories a day, burning almost 900 calories a day, and i'm losing maybe a pound every two weeks. but, my clothes also fit a little bit looser at the end of the week, too ;) hopefully, yours are, too!! my progress is much slower now, but it IS still progress nonetheless
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hmm, remember weight can fluctuate due to menstrual cycle, water weight and also denser muscle mass. How are your jeans fitting? A good indication is how your clothes fit. You may be losing inches even if the scale is stubborn! Just keep at it, you sound like you know what you've got to do!
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Options
    I'm doubtful on the 800-1000 cal burn but it's still a good job!

^^^ This. It doesn't help that the calorie burn is regularly overhyped by Zumba instructors and such. 350-450 cals/hr is probably more realistic. But hey, but it's still cardio. And it's still 1000x better than watching DWTS from the couch!
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    2 things... Heart rate monitor so you can see if you're exercising to your full potential. Also what you eat matters as much as how much you eat. Go look for Tosca Reno's Eat Clean magazine. There are menus in it to follow. Try one for a week and see how your progress is.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

This is what will see you succeed :)!! Enjoying it will keep you going! Don't go do things that you think erk, why am I here? And then make excuses next time to not go!!

And 800 calories for 60 mins is a bluddy amazing burn in my opinion!!! Anyone who says different, I want to know what your doing to burn so much more?!

That's the point some are making, it probably isn't an 800 cal burn.