Drinking(alcohol)

Options
Okay so my 21st birthday way January 7th. Ever since then I've been drinking more frequently. Not going out and drinking, but since my birthday my childhood best friend and I have reconnected and started hanging out a lot so her, my fiancé and I will drink at home, play darts, drinking card games, whatever. It's not like we ever even go out and drink, I haven't, not once, not even on my birthday. Actually, on my 21st birthday my best friend came over and we had some drinks and played Super Nintendo ( something we did when we were younger minus the alcohol lol, and I prefer the old school nintendos to the current gaming systems still to this day). But I'm worried about it effecting my weight loss. It's just a good time a few times a week, and all day every day I track my calories. Has anyone else around my age delt with this while trying to lose weight? I'm not looking for a solution, I know that my cotton candy vodka and Mountain Dew count as calories and such, I just don't have anyone to talk to other than my friend on occasion and my fiancé. Thanks guys!

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    As long as you keep it within your calorie goal and don't get the munchies and eat when you're drunk you're fine.
  • boilermaker6
    boilermaker6 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I a few years older (36) but have some advice. If you are trying to lose weight it is nearly impossible to do with alcohol for a few reasons. One is the obvious calories (there are a lot of empty calories in alcohol). The second is the fact that most people tend to eat more quantity and less quality foods when drinking alcohol. The third is it slows down your metabolism. I am sure there are more reasons I did not list

If you are maintaining weight then you would want to keep it at a minimum but an occasional drink or two shouldn't hurt.

I hope that helps and good luck.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If you're logging your drinks and keeping with your calorie goal, you're fine. Just be sure not to underestimate the size of the drinks. And don't be like me & get so drunk you forget what you drank. And where you are.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I a few years older (36) but have some advice. If you are trying to lose weight it is nearly impossible to do with alcohol for a few reasons. One is the obvious calories (there are a lot of empty calories in alcohol). The second is the fact that most people tend to eat more quantity and less quality foods when drinking alcohol. The third is it slows down your metabolism. I am sure there are more reasons I did not list

If you are maintaining weight then you would want to keep it at a minimum but an occasional drink or two shouldn't hurt.

Oh.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

My body must have missed the memo.
  • jweindruch
    jweindruch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Beyond the calories to count you need to keep in mind that when you drink alcohol your metabolism will focus on removing the alcohol before food calories. Your body is actually protecting you because alcohol is literally a poison to the human body, but it's also fun :) Just keep this in mind you're actually giving your metabolism a "time out" so in addition to counting the calories you need to account for the fact that you're losing some time when your body could be burning calories/stored fat. Every person is different depending on their size so there isn't an exact equation that works for everyone but if you just over estimate your alcohol calories or do some extra cardio on the days your'e going to have a couple drinks you can still drink while losing weight successfully. However, if you're trying to lose weight you will reach your goal sooner by simply eliminating the booze until your reach your goal/maintenance. There's not right or wrong…it's your journey/choice. Good luck!
  • lizj0nes21
    Options
    Thanks everyone! And just for the record, I actually dont get the munchies or eat at all when I'm drinking! That makes me feel pretty good :) because I feel like that's a huge reason drinking slows down weight loss is because usually you will eat junk and such when drinking, but I literally don't get the munchies at all. I drink, hang out, drink a bottle of water and then go to bed. :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Nope. Incorrect. In fact, moderate alcohol consumption has proven health benefits. Cholesterol lowering properties, promotes insulin sensitivity (prevents insulin resistance,) lowers risk of heart disease. It definitely doesn't slow your metabolism down.

Just keep to your calorie goals, it's fine.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Beyond the calories to count you need to keep in mind that when you drink alcohol your metabolism will focus on removing the alcohol before food calories. Your body is actually protecting you because alcohol is literally a poison to the human body, but it's also fun :) Just keep this in mind you're actually giving your metabolism a "time out" so in addition to counting the calories you need to account for the fact that you're losing some time when your body could be burning calories/stored fat. Every person is different depending on their size so there isn't an exact equation that works for everyone but if you just over estimate your alcohol calories or do some extra cardio on the days your'e going to have a couple drinks you can still drink while losing weight successfully. However, if you're trying to lose weight you will reach your goal sooner by simply eliminating the booze until your reach your goal/maintenance. There's not right or wrong…it's your journey/choice. Good luck!
    Huh? Time out? Alcohol is 7 calories per gram. Your body burns those off just like it would any other food you eat or liquid you drink.
  • lizj0nes21
    Options
    Huh? Time out? Alcohol is 7 calories per gram. Your body burns those off just like it would any other food you eat or liquid you drink.
    I kind of agree I think, granted I have had a few drinks so I may sound really stupid right now. But does your body really know "oh, your drinking alcohol and soda together, so I'm going to digest the alcohol first"? I don't think it quite works that way.
    I'm not meaning to put anyone down, but that just doesn't make send to me. Feel free to explain if I'm wrong.
  • tigersword
    Options
    It does process the alcohol first, but it still comes down to total calories consumed. The order your body digests food makes no difference.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I still drink socially, and I'm losing weight. I do want that I want to drink less than I used to, to keep my calories down and to avoid working out with a hangover, but no way am I going to completely quit alcohol.
  • caddodaddyo
    Options
    im a similar age (26). Im drinking vodka and diet coke atm, thinking of going on the gin and tonics though, iv heard their low cal?
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Nope. Incorrect. In fact, moderate alcohol consumption has proven health benefits. Cholesterol lowering properties, promotes insulin sensitivity (prevents insulin resistance,) lowers risk of heart disease. It definitely doesn't slow your metabolism down.

Just keep to your calorie goals, it's fine.

This!

When I was 21 I was in my third year of a French degree and living in France. I used to go out drinking all the time, at least 4 nights a week. This isn't unusual for a British university student by the way lol. I lost weight all the way through university,despite drinking regularly. I graduated several sizes smaller than I started! Drinking never made me eat more.

Just have a drink if you fancy one, so long as it fits into your calories. I'm guessing 21 is the legal age to drink where you are? S maybe it's a novelty thing? In England we can drink at 18, and most people get into pubs younger. I started drinking out just before I turned 17.
  • lizj0nes21
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was starting to worry about it effecting my weightloss, but I'm not anymore. Especially since I never snack when I'm drinking so I'm not eating mindless junk :)
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options

it doesn't. I am 35, I drink a bottle of wine over 2-3 nights with dinner every week, and typically drink heavily one night a weekend (~4 strong cocktails). I try to fit the wine into my calorie goals. But not the weekend binge, so that's my cheat day.

20+ lbs in 5 weeks and counting. Sure, I would have lost more without the booze. But this is life, I'm not going to stop enjoying it while I lose. I will have to cut back when closer to my goal, but until then...
  • katjabbs
    Options
    The way I used to view it when I drank (I quit a few months ago) was , would I consume the same amount of regular Pepsi on the same amount of days? Like if you drink 3 times a week, 5 or 6 drinks a night.. would you drink 5 or 6 regular sodas 3 times a week? It helps to look at things in different perspectives when it comes to nutrition.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    im a similar age (26). Im drinking vodka and diet coke atm, thinking of going on the gin and tonics though, iv heard their low cal?

Though delicious, the tonic in gin and tonic has sugar. I have no idea what the calories are.

I still go out and drink beer, I have just cut done on the frequency and quantity. Pretty sure beer was a big reason I gained a lot of weight, but I am not going to cut it out.