Long term in a short term world

Options
I'm not gonna lie, I am a victim of Instant Gratification. I have lost 4 pounds in the last 3 weeks (which I really am proud of), but I'm finding it hard to stay motivated with long term weight loss (and it hasn't even been that long!). It's hard especially when I see people around me losing 3-4 pounds/wk. I guess I want the end results right from the beginning. Haha I'm like a kid on Christmas...I can't wait to get the presents! I'm eating clean, I kickbox 3 days a week and I feel fabulous! I know this should be motivation enough...but when I can't see what I'm working so hard for it gets a little disheartening. Anyway, how does everyone stay motivated?? I really want this, I just need ideas to keep the fire lit under my butt!!

Replies

• hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I am using the Success Stories Forum to stay motivated, plus I love the little high I get off of weight lifting!
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I personally didn't lose anything kickboxing (for a year) for some reason. When I started eating clean and lifting weights is when the weight came off. When you start to see those little muscles pop out.....it's enough motivation to keep going.
  • KatAdele
    KatAdele Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I figure I can keep going and watch the weight slowly go down, or give up and go back to where I started. Not much of a decision then. :) I've lost 40+ since May and hope to be at goal by the end of 2014. Just think of it as a lifestyle change not a short term diet and find a calorie deficit level you can live with without being miserable. That's my two cents anyway.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I've seen a quote a few times that said something to the effect of "Don't give up on your goals just because of the time it takes to achieve them. The time will pass anyway."

Imagine how you're going to look and feel a year from now if you keep going. You already know how you'll look and feel if you don't.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I used to search success stories in the forums. It really helped me in the beginning.

It took me almost a year and a half to lose 50 pounds. Sometimes, when I compared myself to other people, it seemed too slow. But I did what I had to do to make sure I could stick to this long term.

Focus on the end game, you'll be there before you know it.
  • kixboxer_grl
    Options
    Thank you all! ItsCasey....I love that quote!!
  • bonnietulip
    bonnietulip Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It IS hard. But for me, it truly is a lifestyle change. My mind must also change, and that takes time. Any time that I have lost weight rapidly, in the past, I put it back on because I did not change my mindset, lifestyle, and support network.