Motivation Beads

Options
A looooooong time ago I saw something on tumblr (yeah yeah) that I thought was really cool. This person would add a bead to a long string every time she was under or at her calorie intake limit. I've always wanted to do it, and finally years later, I have! Some MFP friends I should share my idea, so here we are. :flowerforyou:

Given my past, I decided that I didn't want it based on my intake. Monitoring my intake can become obsessive for me, as can weighing my food. It can become dangerous if I don't keep it in check. Food has always been associated with negative feelings for me and marking those negative feelings wouldn't be motivating; I needed something positive! :smile: So I decided I needed something that wasn't food/intake based... and thus created my own system!

Now, turn your head to the side...

2aew280.jpg

Everyday that I do an item on my chart, I add a bead to my long string. I can't add more than one bead of the same color per day. (Ex- I wouldn't put two sparkley pink beads if I did zumba twice in one day- I'd only put one.) But! I can add more than one bead if they are different colors. Soooo, if I'm feeling positive, drank lots of water, AND did 30DS, I'd add a total of 3 beads.

It would also be really easy to modify my chart to add something (like swimming) that I didn't previously do or enjoy.

Here's my bead bag!
vqlkpc.jpg

I have only been doing this for two days now, and I think it's going to help keep me motivated! I was SOOO excited to put new beads on (specifically the 30DS bead) today. I think this will be a powerful motivator because I'll be able to see all that I've accomplished... and it will be AWESOME when my string has 30 or 40 beads on it!

I'm also considering the idea of giving myself little rewards for every 10 beads! (This might go up if its too easy to get to 10) I would use a black bead (which isn't assigned anything) to mark every "set", so I'd know where to count from. Every time I reach the given amount of beads, I'd go buy myself something SMALL, like less than $10 that I've been wanting, like a make up item, a pedicure, or some songs from iTunes. Maybe I'd even make a menu of reward choices!

So there it is! My super simple motivating beads. :smile:

Replies

• wherethereis
    wherethereis Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love this!!! May have to find some beads... :)
  • Surfdancer777
    Surfdancer777 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is such a positive and healthy idea hurricane girl!!

I've seen a variation of it where one puts a bead or polished stone in a big glass vase every time they meet a small goal.
    What's great is that you can customize the level of therapeutic intensity just as you did.

Thank you for posting!!
  • xbellezx
    xbellezx Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great idea!! I might have to go out and get me some beads so I can steal it ;)
  • paperfiish
    paperfiish Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This is a really great idea! I'm totally going to barrow it, thanks for sharing!
  • brendafritz60
    Options
    Way cool!!! I think the best part about this is that you aren't taking any beads away when something isn't done. As you said, this is the way for you to concentrate on the positive side of losing weight. And like the others, I think I'm going to have to steal this idea!!! Good luck!!!
  • hurricanegirl13
    Options
    To all of you wanting to steal, GO FOR IT! :happy:

I can't tell you how much I love my beads, and how exciting it is seeing them grow everyday. My favorite bead to put on it the white one! It feels great acknowledging the positivity I feel from exercise, especially when exercise isn't something I typically enjoy!

I'm up to 8 beads now. :) It's way too easy to earn beads... so my reward number is going to shoot up to 20, and I'll see from there!

I'd LOVE to see everyones variations of their personal bead charts. If you do, please post some pics!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Great idea. In the past I've used a app which will ask you to set a target for a reward and then you put 'marbles in a jar' on it. I put in a marble for being just under cals and a marblefor exercise. My partner is buying me a Thomas Sabo bead charm bracelet and when I get a certain number of marbles, I am going to treat myself to a Thomas Sabo or pandora bead.

The app is called ' I behave'
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I like the idea of beads on a string, instead of in a jar, with a 10 bead marker as its quicker to monitor how you're doing.
  • xbellezx
    xbellezx Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the idea. I have started to use it but decided to put the beads in a jar (I am going to fill that sucker up) because I wasn't sure were I would put the string.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Just set it up. I used bead wire in a circle and hung it up in my kitchen. One colour for exercise and one for keeping under my calories.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    This is so awesome! Thank you for sharing this idea.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Thanks for the idea. I have started to use it but decided to put the beads in a jar (I am going to fill that sucker up) because I wasn't sure were I would put the string.
    I've hung my wire loop on a mug hook but it could go around a handle. I like this idea as putting a different colour bead every 10th bead will make it easier to count and keep an eye on progress.
  • hurricanegirl13
    Options
    I'm so excited people are using my (semi-stolen) idea!

I've devised a new "reward plan". Once I reached 10 beads, I bought myself something small (tangerine eos lip balm :D) and then my next reward will be at 15 beads. Then the next one at 20 beads, and so on.

I'm actually thinking the jar would have been easier... it's a PITA to take that long string down... but I do like seeing the progress!

Where are your pictures of your set up!? (Who ever has done one) :)
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I'm so excited people are using my (semi-stolen) idea!

I've devised a new "reward plan". Once I reached 10 beads, I bought myself something small (tangerine eos lip balm :D) and then my next reward will be at 15 beads. Then the next one at 20 beads, and so on.

I'm actually thinking the jar would have been easier... it's a PITA to take that long string down... but I do like seeing the progress!

Where are your pictures of your set up!? (Who ever has done one) :)
    But this way is sooo much better as you can keep count easier.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    image_zpscabe762d.jpg
    White is for kept to my calories and purple for working out. I will put a red on when I have reached 10 beads.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Oops. Ignore this.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    excellent idea ....Thank you for sharing! I love it! !
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea. I know it sounds stupid, but when I used to go to weight watchers, I would love getting the shoe stickers for activity days, star stickers for 5 lb., 10 lb, etc. Each sticker signified something. It sounds like we're in kindergarten and we got a gold star that day, but it really helps. I'm definitely going to do this.
  • hurricanegirl13
    Options
    image_zpscabe762d.jpg
    White is for kept to my calories and purple for working out. I will put a red on when I have reached 10 beads.

Okay, I seriously love your pretty beads. They're so much prettier than my cheapy pony beads! I might have to find some extra special beads for reaching goals... Hmm...
  • jaz050465
    Options
    image_zpscabe762d.jpg

Okay, I seriously love your pretty beads. They're so much prettier than my cheapy pony beads! I might have to find some extra special beads for reaching goals... Hmm...
    They weren't expensive got them from a bead shop