My first proper training walk of the year

Options
First proper walk I have done this year. Lessons I have learned so far..
1. Make sure your waterproof coat IS waterproof.
2. Ensure your boots DON'T leak.
3. Remember to tell the bus driver to drop you off one STOP before your normal one....not one TOWN before your normal one. Oh and
4. NEVER listen to your 'friend' who says oh you will be fine...the rain is easing off! I was totally drowned! lol . On the plus side I am pleased with the walk.

I walked 1.67 miles in 32 mins 43 seconds and (according to Endomondo) burned 191 calories.

Now at home recuperating... MEDIC!!!

Replies

• nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Good job! Keep it up.
  • nikifavorido
    nikifavorido Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Same route again today, shaved about 20 seconds off the time, but since I added my weight into the Endomondo app it now says I used 415 calories on same walk! Not convinced.. Doesn't seem right. But.. heyho.. I still did better than yesterday :) Go me!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Same route again today, shaved about 20 seconds off the time, but since I added my weight into the Endomondo app it now says I used 415 calories on same walk! Not convinced.. Doesn't seem right. But.. heyho.. I still did better than yesterday :) Go me!

Since your ticker says you have 180lbs to lose, you very well could h av e burned that many calories. I also doubt it tho.

Its a phone app and doesn't have a heart rate monitor attached so it will never give you an accurate amount burned.
    For example, Runtastic told me I burned 123 calories for a 3 mi run. My heart rate monitor gave a higher value because it was reading the effort I was putting in

Ps congrats!
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Its that determination that will help you so much along this journey:)
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Great job!

I have walked in every weather condition my state has to offer. By far and away, I dislike walking in the cold when it is raining. I have walked in temperatures from 95F with high humidity to -20F with very low wind chills. Softly falling snow to near blizzard conditions. Getting wet in the rain is not fun. At least you don't get wet from the snow.

Keep up the good work!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You could have quite easily have burn't that considering the amount of weight you need to lose. I was burning those sort of amounts walking when I started

Great work though you'll surprise yourself at how quickly you improve and notice a difference.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    *wrings you out and hangs you on the washing line over the bath tub*
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    I wouldn't trust the calorie calculations on Endomondo. I was using it for a while to track, but even on a 1200 plan if I ate all my exercise calories it said I burned, I would gain 100% guaranteed. I tracked one walk with Endomondo and my fitbit, and the fitbit had me on about 1/3 of the calories of Endomondo. Both were registered with my up to date weight.

If you are going on the calculations of Endomondo alone, only eat back about a third of them at most is my advice :)

P.S. Great job on the walk
  • nikifavorido
    nikifavorido Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments and advice. Yes with regards to the calories, I didn't eat them all back, tempted though as struggling with food addicition. Hoping to go for a swim tomorrow and maybe a game of badminton if my leg muscles have forgiven me by then. Will keep going :)