Daily Goal

Are you supposed to eat all your daily goal? I have been under every day for last week but have not lost any weight.

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Yes you should be getting as close to your daily goal as possible.

Are you measuring your food? How much are you currently eating, how tall are you, how much do you weigh, and what activity level are you at.
  • 2Dozen
    2Dozen Posts: 66 Member
    Ensure you log everything accurately. Whatever you have your goal set to then that's the caloric intake necessary to meet your goal (obviously try to meet all of the sub goals as well ie. carbs, fats, protien), under your goal within reason is just fine. The key is accurate and consistent logging. To speed things up throw in exercise.
  • I weigh 17st 10lb and wish to get down to 12st 7lb. I am 6ft 0in tall. My age is 49. The daily goal is set at 2590 which I think is too high. I'm doing 40 min dog walking each day. I am weighing and scanning everything. Yesterday food was 1755 Exercise 247 Net 1508 leaving me 1082 under. I thought for a man 2500 was needed each day? I wanted to lose at least a stone before I introduced more exercise.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    I can only give you my experience on how MFP has worked for me.

I started at 17 st on the nose, am 5'10" and 46 years old

The settings I put into MFP were for a loss of 1.5 lbs per week and a sedentary lifestyle (I drive 8 -10 hours per day and spend a lot of time on the couch)

MFP set me up with 1630 calories per day and whatever calories I burn't I ate back (I do use an HRM rather than MFP estimates)

I lost too fast to start with but soon ended up at about 1.8 lbs per week.

I have now upped my calories to 1700 and lose a little over 1 lb per week

So from my experience your calorie goal seems a little high but others will have a different experience

What it boils down to is if you don't lose weight then you are not in a calorie deficit which means either you are underestimating food intake, have set your activity level too high or are over estimating your calorie burns.

I would go back and check your MFP settings and if they are correct slowly reduce your calorie goal until you start losing at a healthy rate
  • 2Dozen
    2Dozen Posts: 66 Member

What it boils down to is if you don't lose weight then you are not in a calorie deficit which means either you are underestimating food intake, have set your activity level too high or are over estimating your calorie burns.

I agree with this, the science is undeniable. If you use more than you get, then you should end up with less. Make sure everything, and i mean everything you consume is logged accurately. If you end your days with a deficit, then the weight has to come off.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    I looked at some calculators online and came up with these based on your stats:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    - Desk Job with Little Exercise & Lose Fat 20% Calorie Reduction
    Maintain: 2624
    20% deficit: 2099

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    -Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job)
    Maintain: 2630
    20% deficit: 2104

The higher your activity level the more you can eat. Things like body composition also play a huge role. A person who has more muscle than fat will be able to eat more than a person who has more fat than muscle.

The way MFP is designed is for you to eat to your daily goal. Now this should work providing:
    - you selected the right activity level
    - you don't have any medical conditions that have a negative impact on your metabolism
    - you aren't overestimating calories burned
    - you aren't underestimating calories eaten