Started heavy lifting = no weight loss

Options
I'm eating 1200 calories a day, plus some but not all of my exercise calories. I weigh and measure my food (except stuff like eggs or things in a package, which I usually scan) and log everything. I have 40-50 lbs. to lose.

Week 1 I lost 5 lbs. and did 45-60 minutes of cardio 4 times a week. Week 2 I worked out more (60 minutes of cardio plus 3 weight lifting sessions) and probably ate more exercise calories than I needed, but stayed within range. I lost no weight. Week 3 I have been even more careful and worked out 5 days this week, burning 500 cals with cardio at 60 minutes each and did 3 more intense weight lifting sessions, more ab work, and ate fewer exercise calories (maybe half) and I only lost 1/2 lb.

My arms and legs have been sore from the lifting as I'm doing 3 sets of 8-10 reps with heavier weights. The last 2 sets I am struggling to finish the last rep or two, so I feel like it's heavy enough.

Could I be holding on to water weight? I seem to remember reading that hard strength workouts can cause your muscles to hold on to water. I may be PMSing too. Also, could I not be eating enough? To lose 2 lbs per week, 1200 calories is what MFP says I should eat (before exercise).

Any thoughts?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Its water retention. Also, with 50 lbs to lose 1 lb per week, maybe 1.5 lbs should be max. Personally, I would change your account to active and not worry about exercise calories since you have a routine. I would also adjust macros to around 40% carbs, 30%protein, and 30% fats. Protein will help with muscle retention.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Its water retention. Also, with 50 lbs to lose 1 lb per week, maybe 1.5 lbs should be max. Personally, I would change your account to active and not worry about exercise calories since you have a routine. I would also adjust macros to around 40% carbs, 30%protein, and 30% fats. Protein will help with muscle retention.

+1

Totally water retention.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Your muscles hold onto water when they repair themselves, so it's very common to retain water when you start a new exercise programme, or increase the intensity. Also, weight loss isn't linear anyway, so you will not necessarily see movement on the scales every single week. On the other hand, you may have weeks where you lose more than you expect. That's normal too.

In order to not go crazy over the scale, look at the overall trend of what is happening. For example, you've lost 5 1/2 lbs n 3 weeks, so that is a big success! As you continue, pay attention to measurements and how your clothes fit too. Those changes will help stop you getting discouraged by scale fluctuations.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your doing great. Keep it up and be patient. Stay disciplined with your routine and you'll eventually see the results of your hard work.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    It's a much slower, much more worth it process. Keep it up!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm experiencing the same thing. I haven't really lost anything in last two weeks since I started doing more intense strength training workouts and taxing my muscles. It is frustrating to step on the scale and see the same number, or to see the scale go down and then back up the day after a training session. However, I've noticed my cardio workouts have gotten easier and more enjoyable, so I can't really complain. The weight loss will come... just keep at it!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

+1

Totally water retention.

^ This, though I think I'd get more protein. You will have to run your numbers but you should be getting at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass and 0.35 grams of fat per pound of total body weight. It's particularly important while losing weight and more isn't going to hurt you.
  • Fassopony
    Options
    I seriously just had a good old fashioned melt down complete with dropping f-bombs, slamming things, and almost taking a hammer to the scale not 30 minutes ago for the same damn reason. I have been at 244 pounds all.damn.week, went down to 243.2 yesterday., but still ALL DAMN WEEK. I woke up this morning excited to add some more weights and also a 3 mile (walk with Leslie Sansone) and got on that damn scale and LO AND BEHOLD it says 244. Then, it says 246 with clothes on and now it says 248 or so.

This is complete bullsh!t, y'all can see what I eat, I measure and weight everything, and have been working out all week. There is no reason someone like me at 5'4" who is fat as heck should not be losing weight with low calories even but also added exercise.

I'm so mad right now even the cats are keeping clear.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I seriously just had a good old fashioned melt down complete with dropping f-bombs, slamming things, and almost taking a hammer to the scale not 30 minutes ago for the same damn reason. I have been at 244 pounds all.damn.week, went down to 243.2 yesterday., but still ALL DAMN WEEK. I woke up this morning excited to add some more weights and also a 3 mile (walk with Leslie Sansone) and got on that damn scale and LO AND BEHOLD it says 244. Then, it says 246 with clothes on and now it says 248 or so.

This is complete bullsh!t, y'all can see what I eat, I measure and weight everything, and have been working out all week. There is no reason someone like me at 5'4" who is fat as heck should not be losing weight with low calories even but also added exercise.

I'm so mad right now even the cats are keeping clear.

Don't focus on daily fluctuations or you will actually take a hammer to your scale! If you are weighing and measuring and you are exercising then stop weighing yourself for a few weeks. Start focusing on taking progress pics, and focusing on how your clothes fit and how you feel. The weight will come off eventually. It isn't a race and this isn't "The Biggest Loser." This is real life and you're doing it right. Be patient.
  • Fassopony
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement.

However, I see so many pals who do that bypass thing who eat 800 cals a day and drop weight like crazy. 80 pounds in 6 months crazy. Granted, I am not looking to be uber skinny, I want a fit, healthy body to do what I want to do activity-wise. But! This is very, very discouraging. I could understand no weight loss if I weighed 144 pounds, not 244.

Not trying to hijack your thread, OP, I just happen to have the same issue LOL!!

Okay, I am going to go do my workout.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    fluid retention for muscle repair. Also, you are now in the process of preserving your muscle mass rather than losing it so your scale losses will be slower....you're holding on to lean mass though and that's a good thing. When people drop a lot of weight quickly, they are also losing a lot of muscle along with their fat.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Thank you all SO MUCH for the positive encouragement! I am going to change my settings like the MOD suggested. I would rather do this slowly without losing muscle and keeping my metabolism normal.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Great work so far

Also some of the women who started weight lifting didn't really see any changes for 12 weeks.

Also their weight may not have changed but they lost inches. Take some body measurements and photos, then retake in a few weeks.