Where to begin?

Options
Hi all!

I am new to MFP and I need to lose quite a bit of weight. I could really use some advice on where to begin, I'm feeling overwhelmed...

Thanks!
Amanda

Replies

• Delta1229
    Options
    Hi Amanda,
    I have been on the " starting a diet only to quit it" plan over the past few years and have recently started again. I used this site for a month about six months ago then stopped. However, because I got so used to counting calories and paying attention to what I eat I lost 18lbs anyway!! This site is a great way to re train your mind. One of my suggestions would be to replace all of your beverages with water. Just that change will have the weight dropping off. Also try to follow your calorie limit, ( but don't beat yourself up if you go over just jump right back into it the next day.) I also try to eat carbs in the morning only. I haven't entered my weight yet but I am a scale nut and I have already lost 7lbs this week!!!! I started last year at 265 and I am now down to 194. It works if you stick with it.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    1). Eat less
    2). Move More
    3). Track everything you eat and every thing you drink with calories in MyFitnessPal App
    4). Set your calorie deficit in the App wisely e.g. 2 lbs a week if you are huge
    5). Learn from others on the success stories
    6). Make adjustments as you go

There is alot of small details that can help, but to begin with keep it simple. Try to be around the app caloric deficit each day. If you have one bad day, don't give up. You can learn and become wiser as you go.
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You could start by just weighing and logging what you are eating now - everything, but without a calorie deficit. This will give you an idea of where you are at. After a while (lets say a week or two) Then pick a reasonable rate to lose weight (say 1 pound a week or less), tell it to mfp, and stick to that. You can slowly start introducing exercise, for instance, start with 15 minutes four days each week and add a minute every week.

Just some ideas. Pick something small to start with and build on that. If you keep going, you will succeed.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Start with logging all of your food/intake consistently and as accurately as possible.

And read http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • gingersnap303
    Options
    Thanks for the advice so far, I appreciate it.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale, they're cheap. Log absolutely everything you eat, and be honest. Exercise more, and remember, if you cheat, you're only cheating yourself.

Rigger
  • gingersnap303
    Options
    Thanks again! I actually own a food scale since I love to bake...time to find a new hobby I guess.

A little about me: I'm 39, I will be 40 in July. I haven't had a weight problem all my life, just the last 4 years. I can't believe it's possible to put 86 lbs on in that amount of time, but it happened! At this time in 2010 I was 135. And when I stepped on the scale yesterday 221. Sigh.

And this is why I'm overwhelmed. I've always had OK eating habits. I mean, I actually eat a lot of fruits and veggies and water is my main liquid...along with black coffee and well, craft beer. I'm in Colorado after all! ;) However, I do eat a lot of junk with the healthy stuff. I've always had a ridiculous sweet tooth. So it's going to be a bit of a learning curve.

Plus, I've noticed it more since I've been with my partner. In fact I got we got together in February 2009 and moved in a year later. So I'm sure that played into my gain as well. He's also put on about 20 lbs since we met. I'm hoping that if I start making changes, he'll be inspired to do the same.

Anyway, thanks again for the support. I'm sure I'll be back every now and then to ask stupid questions! :)
    -Amanda
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You could start by just weighing and logging what you are eating now - everything, but without a calorie deficit. This will give you an idea of where you are at. After a while (lets say a week or two) Then pick a reasonable rate to lose weight (say 1 pound a week or less), tell it to mfp, and stick to that. You can slowly start introducing exercise, for instance, start with 15 minutes four days each week and add a minute every week.

Just some ideas. Pick something small to start with and build on that. If you keep going, you will succeed.

This!!! Use MFP and make good decisions, one after another...and you will succeed!
  • maracuya23
    Options
    Definitely accurate logging as a first step. I've found that the entries that are directly copied from the usda database are the most accurate (these usually include a number for potassium, and do not have a star next to them if you're on the web version of mfp.)

If you haven't already, you might consider a general checkup with a mention about the rapid weight gain, just to be sure there are no underlying causes/ other contributing factors. I had gained 50ish pounds in a short time, and discovered last year that I have hypothyroidism. Getting that medicated and logging have been the two things that have helped me most!
  • gingersnap303
    Options
    Thanks again for the support. I did go to my Doctor for my annual and she was extremely concerned about my rapid weight gain, since I had just been there in October for my flu shot and have gained 28 lbs since then. Turns out my TSH is off the charts; I'm going in Monday AM to follow up...I guess to have additional blood-work. Yay. With that being said, I know my weight gain isn't *all* thyroid related.

Anyway since my first post, I have been trying to eat 1200 calories/day and I'm finding that close to impossible! I'm usually coming in around 1350. On one hand, I'd like to figure out where I can knock out the extra 150 calories. On the other I'm thinking 1350 isn't bad and I'd like to be happy on this journey. And, sine I'd probably have to nix my 2 TBSP of real half and half to make this happen, as well as my real TBSP of PB with my apple, I'm just going to let it go.

Thanks again for the support! I appreciate it! :)
    -Amanda
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    Thanks again for the support. I did go to my Doctor for my annual and she was extremely concerned about my rapid weight gain, since I had just been there in October for my flu shot and have gained 28 lbs since then. Turns out my TSH is off the charts; I'm going in Monday AM to follow up...I guess to have additional blood-work. Yay. With that being said, I know my weight gain isn't *all* thyroid related.

Anyway since my first post, I have been trying to eat 1200 calories/day and I'm finding that close to impossible! I'm usually coming in around 1350. On one hand, I'd like to figure out where I can knock out the extra 150 calories. On the other I'm thinking 1350 isn't bad and I'd like to be happy on this journey. And, sine I'd probably have to nix my 2 TBSP of real half and half to make this happen, as well as my real TBSP of PB with my apple, I'm just going to let it go.

Thanks again for the support! I appreciate it! :)
    -Amanda

I think 1350-1500 will probably be more sustainable, although maybe ask your doctor what they suggest for your thyroid condition. I know people do 1200 successfully, but it can make it a lot harder to stick with long term. If you do exercise or have a busy lifestyle then it would be wise to eat a little more, although in my experience MFP can over estimate exercise calories so be wary of that.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Start with logging all of your food/intake consistently and as accurately as possible.

And read http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    ^^^This.

Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food. Log your exercise, and eat back your exercise calories. If you're not losing, eat back half your exercise calories.
  • gingersnap303
    Options
    I think 1350-1500 will probably be more sustainable, although maybe ask your doctor what they suggest for your thyroid condition. I know people do 1200 successfully, but it can make it a lot harder to stick with long term. If you do exercise or have a busy lifestyle then it would be wise to eat a little more, although in my experience MFP can over estimate exercise calories so be wary of that.

I'm thinking so too. Although, I'd like to save 1500 days for the occasional splurge. Emphasize occasional... I've realized that I'm a real sugar addict! Besides half and half in my coffee, skim milk and the occasional unsweetened latte, I've never "drank" my calories. However, I love my flavored yogurt, jam on my toast and I have a thing for Starburst, Skittles and Cherry Nibs. I gave these up when I started MFP, but I watched Katie Couric's show about America's sugar addiction yesterday and wow! If I hadn't already started to work on my diet, I would have definitely started after watching it.

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it!
  • gingersnap303
    Options

^^^This.

Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food. Log your exercise, and eat back your exercise calories. If you're not losing, eat back half your exercise calories.

I did read that post earlier this week. Very helpful! Have you found eating back your exercise calories helpful in your journey? Do you rely on MFP's info? I've read in this thread and elsewhere their stats can be off.
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hi Gingersnap, first off congratulations for making the commitment! As many have mentioned, log your calories, and exercise! I started 4 weeks ago using MFP, and I've lost 8.5 lbs on my journey to losing 40. I'm also doing Crossfit 3-4 times per week, which is pretty intense.

I read one thing as I was going through your thread.... you live in Colorado and like to consume craft beers. I LOVE craft beers, but as far as calories go, you and I both know these are the devil!!! Does it mean we can't have them anymore? No. But just be cognizant of the fact that they could "eat up" a bunch of your daily caloric intake, and not to mention, won't leave you satisfied. I have pretty much allowed myself 1 cheat day every week since starting, and you know what? It is actually very beneficial to do this. It allows the body to have what it craves, and psychologically, you feel better allowing yourself to do it. If you don't, you WILL eventually break down and BINGE. So, allow it. Enjoy that 1 beer on the weekend. I do!

Good luck in your journey, I wish you the best!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Have you found eating back your exercise calories helpful in your journey? Do you rely on MFP's info? I've read in this thread and elsewhere their stats can be off.
    MFP is structured such that you must eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories. Your deficit is built into your calorie goal. (Some people have custom calorie goals, such as TDEE - 20%, which have their exercise calories built in. Therefore, they don't eat back exercise calories.)

The calorie counts & burns are estimates. Some people reduce the margin of error by eating back half their exercise calories. Everybody's different, and it will take trial & error to find what works for you.

Edited to add that I don't believe in cheat meals, much less cheat days. Eat "good" or "clean" or "healthy" (whatever those words mean to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your macros. Denial & "cheating" can lead to binges.
  • gingersnap303
    Options
    Hi Gingersnap, first off congratulations for making the commitment! As many have mentioned, log your calories, and exercise! I started 4 weeks ago using MFP, and I've lost 8.5 lbs on my journey to losing 40. I'm also doing Crossfit 3-4 times per week, which is pretty intense.

I read one thing as I was going through your thread.... you live in Colorado and like to consume craft beers. I LOVE craft beers, but as far as calories go, you and I both know these are the devil!!! Does it mean we can't have them anymore? No. But just be cognizant of the fact that they could "eat up" a bunch of your daily caloric intake, and not to mention, won't leave you satisfied. I have pretty much allowed myself 1 cheat day every week since starting, and you know what? It is actually very beneficial to do this. It allows the body to have what it craves, and psychologically, you feel better allowing yourself to do it. If you don't, you WILL eventually break down and BINGE. So, allow it. Enjoy that 1 beer on the weekend. I do!

Good luck in your journey, I wish you the best!

Congrats on your weight loss so far! Yes, I do adore my craft beer. I guess I forgot to mention those as the other calories I drink in my most recent post. ;)

We've decided to stop having beer in the fridge and keeping it to a treat when we occasionally go out to eat. Another thing I have selected to limit. We are "foodies" and enjoy the dining Denver has to offer. Maybe too much. We will be limiting that to special occasions. Like when we head downtown for theater or a birthday etc.
  • gingersnap303
    Options
    Have you found eating back your exercise calories helpful in your journey? Do you rely on MFP's info? I've read in this thread and elsewhere their stats can be off.
    MFP is structured such that you must eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories. Your deficit is built into your calorie goal. (Some people have custom calorie goals, such as TDEE - 20%, which have their exercise calories built in. Therefore, they don't eat back exercise calories.)

The calorie counts & burns are estimates. Some people reduce the margin of error by eating back half their exercise calories. Everybody's different, and it will take trial & error to find what works for you.

Edited to add that I don't believe in cheat meals, much less cheat days. Eat "good" or "clean" or "healthy" (whatever those words mean to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your macros. Denial & "cheating" can lead to binges.

Thank you again, this is helpful. I also decided not to go the cheat day route. I know it works for some but for me it would be a recipe for disaster. My goal is to eat well, enjoy my food within my calories, and occasionally allow a splurge on an indulgence and record it when I do. I assume those will be the days where I eat closer to 1500. I'm hoping that filling up on healthy foods will curb my desire for sweets etc. :)
  • gingersnap303
    Options
    Thanks again for the support and advice everyone, I genuinely appreciate it! I was really feeling overwhelmed when I decided to embark on this journey. It's still a bit overwhelming, but I do feel like I can do this if I just take it one meal at a time. :)
    -Amanda
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I started with the biggest issue for me before which was to reduce snacking to twice per week and then the next I tried exercise (didn't like it particularly but persisted), small steps lead to a better lifestyle. I've kept off the weight for a year next month which I'm very proud of as I would fall back if I didn't have my habits in place. Small steps, big changes :)