New to Online, Also a New Army Wife!! :-)

Options
Hey everyone!! I need a ton of support to keep up on this while my new husband is away at basic!! We were married in November, and now that he's gone for a little while, I've had WAY too much time to look at old pictures of myself. I can't believe how much weight I've gained in the past couple years!! Last time I really stuck to this, I lost almost ten pounds in a month, but I'm lacking motivation and need some help. I'm welcoming anyone to support me and I can offer support for you too. Also, any other army wives out there, I'd love to be able to connect with you! And, because I'm open to it, I'd love to hear from any other military wives, because we're really all apart of the same family. :-)

Replies

• marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    My husband left in July (he's still in AIT until April, ugh!), so I know how it feels. Exercising at least helps pass some time during the day to make it go by faster! Sending you a request. :)

I started losing weight right after he left, and was able to wear a size 10 dress (was a size 14) to his graduation. Now one of my biggest motivations is surprising him in April by being in even better shape. It's usually enough to get me up off the couch and at least doing some kind of workout!

Congrats on your marriage!
  • Tabitha_Faye
    Options
    I'm not an Army wife, but I am an Air Force wife. Does that count? ;) Either way, us milspouses gotta support each other! Feel free to add me if you want to.
  • johnny7625
    Options
    feel free to add me :)
  • jessicamae0731
    Options
    Thanks :-) I'd love to be able to surprise my husband at his graduation, and I've got a lot of work ahead of me if I want to do that! Support will be the biggest thing for me!
  • marieamethyst
    Options
    Just take it one day at a time! Those 9 weeks fly by, especially if you stay occupied. :)

One thing I discovered after my husband left is MyCAA. If you're interested in receiving education in a "portable career" to help find employment if your hubby is Active and will be moving around, check out their website. Doesn't matter if you already have a degree (I have a Bachelor's). The DoD is paying for my online Medical Coding/Billing program that I'm taking right now (hospitals and offices are everywhere!), so that was $2700 I didn't have to add to my student loans.

MyCAA is definitely one of those things military spouses don't get told about enough!
  • MrsD1986
    MrsD1986 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My husband just got out of the army so I absolutely know what it's like feeling lonely while they're gone and eating your loneliness. You have to turn it into something productive! Feel free to add me
  • meltoine
    meltoine Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm an AF wife too. I find it easier to eat well when he's gone LOL!
  • marieamethyst
    Options

I agree, LOL! We eat soooooo much pasta and rice when he's home
  • Copski
    Copski Posts: 1
    Options
    Respect to the military men
  • SerenitiC
    SerenitiC Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Navy wife here, but definitely willing to help motivate. Ya think I would have wised up and got in better shape while mine was at basic, but it took me longer to get myself together haha! Not sure if you live near a military base, but once you get your dependant ID look into gyms. Most bases(fort/ect) have gyms you can use for free, and I think quite a few gyms might offer a military discount :)
    I'll second that MYCAA bit, I'm looking into EMT programs to start this fall :)
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like. My hubby is National Guard. (I know, I know, technically not the same) He was deployed to Iraq several years ago and I lost 25 pounds while he was gone. I thoroughly enjoyed surprising him at the homecoming.
  • Tabitha_Faye
    Options
    Just take it one day at a time! Those 9 weeks fly by, especially if you stay occupied. :)

One thing I discovered after my husband left is MyCAA. If you're interested in receiving education in a "portable career" to help find employment if your hubby is Active and will be moving around, check out their website. Doesn't matter if you already have a degree (I have a Bachelor's). The DoD is paying for my online Medical Coding/Billing program that I'm taking right now (hospitals and offices are everywhere!), so that was $2700 I didn't have to add to my student loans.

MyCAA is definitely one of those things military spouses don't get told about enough!

Yes! I'm using MyCAA to help pay for my associates in nursing. Great advice!
  • Tabitha_Faye
    Options

Right?! My husband is a PIG! Haha. He's 6'1", weighs 142, and eats whatever he wants. Not fair. At all.
  • jessicamae0731
    Options
    I had no idea about this MyCAA thing! I've been peeking through this family informational center online forum thing that the army has, but I haven't seen a word about it, and honestly, I feel like I can't connect with too many people on there. Everyone's already 120-135 lbs and talking about wanting to lose weight and I'm like, hello, I'm a pretty big woman, and you're worried about a few extra pounds? Is that terrible of me to think lol.
  • becapender
    Options
    Congrats on your marriage! I get how you feel, I only recently relished how much weight I gained when I went on vacation. In the pictures I just didn't look like the self I knew and was comfortable with. It's hard to stay motivated but just try to focus on how good it will feel to get back to the weight you feel most comfortable in!
  • jessicamae0731
    Options
    Congrats on your marriage! I get how you feel, I only recently relished how much weight I gained when I went on vacation. In the pictures I just didn't look like the self I knew and was comfortable with. It's hard to stay motivated but just try to focus on how good it will feel to get back to the weight you feel most comfortable in!

I know, it's hard to realize how much you've gained when you aren't constantly comparing yourself from day to day. A cookie here, an extra large shake there- it's so easy to put on the pounds.