Fitbit calories?

Options
Just got a fitbit a few weeks ago and love it for motivation to move more! Do I eat the calories it gives me (I have it linked to mfp) Because I have a desk job, I have myself as sedentary. When I run, etc, I do generally eat bsck those calories ( trying to net around 1200-1350) but not sure i am supposed to for the fit bit activity and would love to know what works for others!

For instance, I logged 7000 today at work (walked a lot more than usual between buildings because 4000 is more typucal). To achieve 10,000 steps, I went on a short walk tonight. Do, fitbit / my fitness pal is giving me over 400 ecpxercise calories! Seems like a lot ...

Replies

• GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Fitbit calculates your TDEE. I got one last week and I was surprised with my burn since I walk a lot, but your fitbit calorie adjustment on MFP will have your deficit built into it. It works the same as exercise calories.
  • sara1077
    sara1077 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks! So you mean I should consider eating some/ all back?
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I also got a FitBit about a month ago and linked it to MFP. No, I don't think those burns are high. We are similar. I am 41, 5'8", and @185. If I use 39, 5'5" and @175 your TDEE is 1839. If you are active, that makes sense.

I was a little confused by my MFP target going up and down all day, but someone spelled it out for me. After a few weeks of wearing my FitBit, I was able to easily see a pattern of about 2,350 TDEE per day. I want to lose @25 lbs. (safely) so I set my FitBit to target a 500 calorie deficit daily which equals 1,850 calories per day. So I set MFP to a target of 1,850 and regardless of what it says throughout the day, I try to stay right at that. I track all my food in MFP.

Feel free to add me as a friend. We can support and motivate each other.

I've been pretty close to my goal weight a few times in the last few years, but after getting comfortable, let some of the pounds creep back on.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    That's what I do, too, Vontessa. It seems so much simpler than trying to hit a moving target every day.
  • ExcelWithMel
    Options
    WalkingAlong: you may have been one of the lovelies that simplified it for me. And I THANK YOU because it's so much simpler that way!
  • sara1077
    sara1077 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am so confused! So, you think I should just look at some of my days when I was not active (fitbit says about 1900 if I just do no exercise or about 4000-ish steps)) and then subtract 500 (so 1400 to eat). But, days I run or get a lot mor steps (10,000 - 12,000) should I eat back the extra?

Thank you! I have been not perfect since January 1 with MFP and fitbit, but much better than the last few months. Afraid I am doing something wrong!
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I use the MFP plan and the MFP calories based on setting myself as lightly active when I'm working and sedentary during my vacations. This way, as others noted, I do not have a moving target for calories everyday which was really hard to figure out when I started using fitbit.

I link my fitbit to my account. I do not turn on the negative adjustments because, let's be honest, the steps thresholds for sedentary, lightly active, active, highly active, and the basic 10,000 steps a day goal is completely arbitrary. It was absolutely made up out of the blue because some company in Japan thought it'd be a good idea for their workers. Do sedentary people normally have less steps? Yes. Typically under 3,000. Do you have to have 5000-7500 steps a day to qualify as lightly active or 7501-10,000+ steps a day to qualify as active? No.

What determines if you're lightly active or active is what kind of job do you have and how many hours a day are you sitting on your rear doing nothing, that's it. Fitbit doesn't account for the increased burn of your NEAT, standing (which alone burns more calories but to fitbit it thinks you're sitting because you're holding still) or activities where you are working on things and/or cleaning but taking few steps, or seated exercise like biking, rowing, etc. Fitbit misses a LOT of the steps I take around my house. It's more accurate on hard surface flooring.

So, use your MFP plan for your calories. Eat the calories for your plan with your planned deficit already calculated for you (-250, -500, -750, -1000).

Wear your fitbit everyday, and if you're going about your normal day and you find that you were exceedingly busy and logging a lot of steps from work or from your run and it gives you a fitbit adjustment, it is safe to eat back some of those calories. Just like it's safe to eat back (some) of your exercise calories when you log workouts on MFP.

I love my fitbit for keeping track of my super busy on my feet days without me having to look at the clock and wonder how long I really was running around to try to log activity for those 'above and beyond' work days.
  • ExcelWithMel
    Options
    You can always try that for 3-4 weeks and see how it goes. I think 1,400 on non-active days is right on (to lose a pound a week) and 1,600-1,800 on active days seems about right (not sure how far you run). If 1,900 TDEE is consistent on non-workout days, then yes- I would set MFP to 1,400 and ignore it when it does the adjustment. Just eat close to the 1,400.

On days you are active, take special note of the calories burned during that time period. You only have to watch it for a few weeks to notice a pattern. If you burn 300 calories running for 30 minutes, go ahead and eat an additional 300 calories that day.

I don't worry about the steps too much although I do like it when I get the 10,000 steps badge. I know I am definitely hungrier on the days when I work out. If I do nothing besides my normal day I can get away with eating less.