gym memberships

Yesterday my mother and I joined a local gym called The Wellness Center (it's part of a local hospital). We went in to sign up and it kind of astonished me that the basic membership there is $35/month and you get unlimited everything. They offer discounts for the disabled, over 60, and college students. They have an indoor heated pool, indoor track, tons of free weights, endless treadmills, and tons of classes to choose from (kickboxing, yoga, pilates, Zumba, karate) and the best part of all, a sauna. I'm super excited about doing some of the classes because I've always wanted to do yoga in a class setting, with an instructor instead of doing it at home and wondering if I'm doing it right. Plus, when I meet with my trainer for a fitness assessment next Friday I get a program made for me and my body fat percentage tested (which I've always wanted to know).
Do you have a gym membership? How much and what is included?
The main gyms we have in our area are Planet Fitness and Kinetix (don't know if Kinetix is nationwide or south based though).

Replies

• stanleypoobrick
    stanleypoobrick Posts: 71 Member
    I live in the UK but I go to a gym chain called "xercise 4 less" and it's usually £9.99 a month (or $16.49) for their off-peak membership and £14.99 ($24.74) for their unlimited membership, except my partner and I got the unlimited membership as part of a January deal for £9.99 each!

It has a ton of classes every day, a massive free weights section, a load of assisted weight machines, and tons of treadmills/bikes/steps/rowers. It's open from 6am till 10pm which is really good because I can go in the morning before university or late at night if I've had a bad food day. I used to go to a 24hr gym at my university, which was £200 ($330.12) for a year's membership (so like £5 a month more) but that was mostly just cardio and not as many classes.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Am so SO jealous of your membership :laugh:

I also go to a Wellness Club at my local hospital (in New York) and pay about the same for cardio & weights ...... we also have those classes ....... but there's no pool, no sauna, no track ...... waaaaaah !

Enjoy :drinker:
  • I joined a gym a few weeks ago. I have always had anxiety about working out in front of other people and was excited that I'd decided to get over it and just do it. It's $25 a month and includes classes and a womens only area. They made an appt for me with a trainer and told me I could get a personalized plan, but didn't tell me it would cost $160 a month to see a trainer once a week. When I told them I couldn't afford that they offered a deal of $30 a month (in addition to gym membership) to see a trainer once a month. Kind of disappointing, but I still go do my own thing 3-5 times a week.
    I've had a hard time losing recently, but have done it myself in the past and will just keep trying.
    Glad you found a better deal. Enjoy it!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    For what you are getting, you are getting a good deal.
    Generally, you have a few price ranges
    10 bucks/month - these are the planet fitness type gyms. They are stripped down, DB only go to 75. No extras (classes, showers etc). (Planet fitness may have some of the stuff I mentioned, never been in one.)

Most gyms are going to be in the 40-60 a month range. These will be the full commercial gyms with all the bells and whistles and classes and towel services. That being said, you found a price range just below what I mentioned. I am guessing that since it is attached to a hospital, it has some government funding and is just trying to operate at a break even point instead of a profit.

Hang on to your gym.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    That is great!
    Being close to home or work is very important. I joined a gym last year but it was 45 minutes away so I quit
    Have fun
  • I live in a small, navy town about 2 hours from Seattle, so our choices are slim. I go to a gym called Thrive Fitness (they have a few locations here in Western Washington). I pay $30 a month and we get use of typical cardio equipment, weight room, and all the classes they provide (also tanning, and TRX equipment as well). They're a nice sized gym for a small town, but I can also use the other locations too included in my membership. We have a huge independently run gym in town for about $50 a month, and a ton of little CrossFit gyms popping up all over the place but nothing like the choices I used to have on the east coast -- 24 hour fitness, Planet Fitness (ha!), LA Fitness, etc. I miss 24 hour the most!
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    The whole family has a membership to a Rec Center. They have a weight room with free weights and machines. Two Cardio rooms (one has a projection TV that they play movies on) A Walking track and a basketball court. They also do different fitness classes (for a small fee) We pay $14 a month for a family of 4.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Wow! That is a great deal! I go to my local YMCA and it has all of that plus a bit more, but basically the same kind of amenities. Anyway, I have a family membership which is $75/month, but if I got a single membership it still would be $50/month.

Enjoy your gym membership. Having gone from cheapo ($10/month) Planet Fitness for a year to the YMCA for the last year it is so worth it to have all the options I have at the Y.
  • For what you are getting, you are getting a good deal.
    Generally, you have a few price ranges
    10 bucks/month - these are the planet fitness type gyms. They are stripped down, DB only go to 75. No extras (classes, showers etc). (Planet fitness may have some of the stuff I mentioned, never been in one.)

Most gyms are going to be in the 40-60 a month range. These will be the full commercial gyms with all the bells and whistles and classes and towel services. That being said, you found a price range just below what I mentioned. I am guessing that since it is attached to a hospital, it has some government funding and is just trying to operate at a break even point instead of a profit.

Hang on to your gym.

They have towel services too and special deals on massages for members. I got a 20% discount because I'm a college student and that discount lasts until I'm 22. They sell HRM's there too, but I already have one and a yoga mat, so I think I'm pretty well prepared in advance.
    Now I just have to buy a speedo :wink:
  • MikeWanzuk
    MikeWanzuk Posts: 34 Member
    Lucky I live in canada and the new gym here is 24/7 but the basic adult membership is $49.99
  • MrsJS5
    MrsJS5 Posts: 41 Member
    I live in a nice suburb of Los Angeles and there are gyms. yoga studios, and pilates studios on almost every corner. Spectrum, Gold's, 24/7, and a new Equinox all within 1-2 miles of my house. I joined a women's gym though because I use the free weights and I can't move 100 lb. weights off of equipment that the guys leave behind :smile: . I pay $29.00 a month but that's a lot lower than most of the members pay. (I think all local gyms are in a panic about the new Equinox so they are trying to get new contracts any way they can.) The current gym has all the usual amenities (no pool but sauna and steam room and spa) but they are building a brand-new gym with all new equipment that will open in a few months!
  • Reagan89
    Reagan89 Posts: 40 Member
    I live in the uk and pay £30 for my gym it includes towels and toiletries which I thought was a nice touch.. Has all he usually machines, pool, hot tub, sauna one for males one for females, free weight area, personal trainer included.
    it's called spirit and is classed as a health club as it's got a physio and people can use just the spa side of it.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    I just switched my gym membership package to the Martial Arts classes. For $75/month, I have access to all of the scheduled martial arts classes (I'm taking the co-ed boxing, but they have women's kickboxing, MMA, Judo, BJJ, Krav Maga, and some others) and the gym there and their sister gym across town. They have a sauna and tanning, but I don't really use them. There is also a Crossfit gym at the same place and I could do everything for $150/month. Standard membership is just $25 for the one gym. The sister gym has exercise classes for an extra $18/month.
  • chernij
    chernij Posts: 75 Member
    I used to go to a 24-hour gym that was £17 a month, but I stopped as I found I could just exercise using my bike for a lot cheaper!
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    I go to a small local gym that has two locations. It's $25/month, billed quarterly. Personal training is $70/hour, which I do about twice per month. There are classes (additional cost each) at the other location, but so far all I have used the membership for are weights, kettlebells, and training. It's very close to my house, which is a big plus for me.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    That's a great price. Our gym has all the same amenities (pool, land and water classes, sauna, hottub etc...) but it's more expensive. For me, my husband and our two kids who use the daycare, it comes to $121 a month. I love it though- there's a ton of machines, plenty of weights, it's not intimidating in any way... it's actually called a "recreation center" and consequently it's very laid back, which I like.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Mine is $30 a month and it's not that great of a gym... But it has what I need. The gym I went to before I moved was double the price but soooooo worth it. I miss it :(
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    I just paid $80 dollars for a one month membership at the local recreation centre with a crappy fitness area (a few free weights, 1 bench, 1 all fitness gym thing, and a couple of cardio machines) but I get the pool with it. I love swimming. All the classes are extra. Tai Chi is $80 for 6 weeks, any yoga or zumba is $11 dollars drop in)

I am not going to renew, in February I am going to do workouts at home, and in March I am going to go to the gym in town which is $60/month.

In the city my boyfriend goes to a full fitness centre (no classes) for $15/month, I went to the local rec centre ($45/month) and drop in classes were free.

Its always a good idea to ask if they have a corporate rate for your employer
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    25.00 a month .anytime fitness and I have access to anyone in the country 24-7…that is a pretty freaking good deal!
  • I'm in the UK, I pay £13 per month for gym membership. It's open 24/7, there's plenty of cardio machines and assisted weight machines. The free weights area looks pretty decent too (but I don't venture over there so couldn't say for certain). It's fairly basic - there's no pool, or sauna, and the classes are held right in the gym space itself, there's no separate rooms. There's also no phone signal as it's in a basement, which is a blessing n disguise - there's nothing worse than people shouting into their phones whilst you're trying to work out. The showers also automatically switch-off after 30 seconds until you press the switch again which is a little annoying, but it makes sense.

Overall it's a pretty good deal, I feel. It's also on a rolling basis - whenever I want to cancel I just cancel the payments, no hassle and no contracts.