New to Diet and Exercise - need to lose 20lbs

Options
Hi everyone!
I'm a 34 year old mum, 5'4", somehow I'm 149lbs - how did that happen?!
I walk almost 4k everyday taking my daughter to and from school. When I first started this I dropped about 10lbs, without trying or being conscious of it. A couple CHristmas' later I've put it back on. Clearly my body is just used to that walk, so it does nothing to help me lose now.
I've figured out my BMR, took 30% off which left me at 1390cal/day.
I'm doing the 30 day shred, and jogging those 4k, plus some -pushing a 25lb toddler and buggy- aiming to start the C25K, as its always been a goal of mine. I also just signed up for a Zumba class 1x/w - LOVE!

My question is this: Doing all these things and eating healthily, as I generally do, I'm coming in at below 1000cal/day after I take off the calories burned exercising. But I'm not hungry, or longing to eat at all. I'm eating a lot of protein with tonnes of veg and salad and snacking on fruit/veg.

Does this sound right? I've read I'm not meant to go below 1200 net, but I`d have to be eating tonnes to get there, or eating crap which I need to get out of the habit of! I`m an awful evening chip-eater!!
Does this mean my body will be burning muscle than fat, or piling fat on as I may be in starvation mode?!

If you see any flaw in my regime, please let me know! I'd love some help and encouragement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And please relocate if this is in the wrong spot.

Oh, and how can I get a ticker?

Replies

• planetjen79
    planetjen79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    to be clear, I sometimes don't do the 30DS if I've felt I've put in a a nice jog that has my heartrate up, or if I've done Zumba, but I do it at least 3x/w.
  • chrissygoth
    Options
    How's your fiber intake? I've found that taking fiber supplements am/pm is helping.
  • JeanineLaymon1970
    JeanineLaymon1970 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get in at least 60-80 grams of protein daily, and I would also take 2 multivitamins daily. Since you are so low calorie, you may need the extra nutrients. I had gastric bypass in 2011 and eat 500-800 calories daily after exercising. I have to have that much protein, the 2 multi vitamins, iron, calcium, and monthly B12 shots. A nice protein shake should add calories AND reduce muscle loss.

Good Luck!

Jeanine
    :flowerforyou:
  • emmaannerose
    Options
    Try eating more naturally grown things instead of pre-made food. Instead of eating chips for a snack eat some type of fruit or cereal with a lot of fiber. This is healthier and it will also help clean out your system, so you wont just lose weight but feel better, too.
  • planetjen79
    Options
    Should have been clear - I don't eat the chips anymore!

My day generally looks like this:

Breakfast: I sl. w/w toast with tablespoon peanutbutter, black coffee

Snack around 10, hard boiled egg

Lunch: Huge salad with either salmon, tuna or chicken, or maybe leftover meat from night before, and loads of veg

Snack: apple and a piece of cheese

Dinner: Meat and salad or meat and veg

I might have a small snack again around 8, as that's when my cravings hit.

I might need to be eating more fibre, but I thought all the veg would help!

Protein shake is a great idea! I try to steer clear of processed stuff -is there anything I can do with real food, as opposed to a powder? Or to get the amount of protein I need, do I need a powder?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    1200 cal is not tons of good, most people can eat that amount very easily, so you may want to see your doctor. Are you losing weight on your program?how did you gain weight if you are not able to eat 1200 cal?
  • planetjen79
    Options
    I gained weight because I was a HUGE snacker -ie: cant have 2 cookies, must eat whole box...and ate massive portions of good food. Also, age, and having 2 babies.

I outlined my diet in above post which, when I took out my exercise deficit, was under 1200. I think that diet is pretty healthy?

I suppose my question is, is what im doing ok? Do I increase portions? Add a protein shake?
    Id like to know what others in this situations' diets look like...