How do you measure spaghetti?

Options

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,177 Member
    Options
    I weigh it dry then cook. Really the only way to measure pasta of any sort and be accurate.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid of getting to obsessive- past ED.
    But, calorie counting is one of those things that it's good to be obsessive about. I also had an eating disorder when I was younger, and accurate calorie counting does not trigger that at all for me.
    Ok, and that's good it works for you. Personally I feel like weighing my food plus counting calories is just too much. Due to my past I'd prefer to not get that far into things such as measuring, I just don't feel like that would be good for me.

How are you planning to count calories if you don't know how much you are eating? :huh:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    there are spaghetti measures with different diameter holes pasta-gauge1.serendipityThumb.png

I believe you can buy something like this at Walmart/Target in housewears.
  • laurimaki
    laurimaki Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    But, calorie counting is one of those things that it's good to be obsessive about. I also had an eating disorder when I was younger, and accurate calorie counting does not trigger that at all for me.
    Ok, and that's good it works for you. Personally I feel like weighing my food plus counting calories is just too much. Due to my past I'd prefer to not get that far into things such as measuring, I just don't feel like that would be good for me.

then why measure at all? weighing, measuring, et cetera... ithe concept is all the same...some forms are just more accurate than others.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You'll need a food scale. Trust me, you won't regret the small cost; you'll find yourself using it for everything. I looked it up once and can't recall the source, but 85 grams of dry pasta is 176 grams cooked. I just cook a mess of pasta and then take 176 grams and charge myself for the 85 grams dry.
  • blueskiesnatw
    Options
    But different things are triggering for different people?!
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    a serving size is 2 oz dry....one cup cooked...about 200 calories.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Don't measure after cooking unless the package gives you a serving size for cooked. You'll eat a lot more than one serving if you do it that way. If you won't get a scale, then do the 1/2 inches think using a measuring tape. A scale really is the way to go for pasta, though.

155 grams for a cup of cooked pasta seems really, really low. That seems more like the dry value.

I used what was in the data base - figured it was accurate as how could you measure a cup of spaghetti when it's dry?

Also I am a carb lover and limited myself to the one cup and use spaghetti squash to offset the extra I would like to have.

edit - the 155 was for calories for 1 cup cooked whole wheat catelli pasta and it was not mashed into the cup so it was probably less than a cup but still used what was in the data base for that entry - guess I am going to have to start weighing it raw but that's a pain as I am not cooking just for myself and I am not going to subject my 23 yr old fit son to my limitations.
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I cook it and eat 1/2 cup. It's about 100 calories.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I just got a scale a few weeks ago so now I use that (and I just want to say wow at how much I was accidentally overeating before cuz I couldn't properly weigh it out) but before I'd just measure it in a cup after it was cooked. Most of the boxes of noodles I get say 1 cup cooked = approx 2 oz anyway. It isn't perfect but is better than nothing. :ohwell:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

But you already *are* measuring. That's what this entire thread you started is about.

The only difference a scale will make is give you an accurate number for what you are already doing.
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have a dry spaghetti measure. Bed, Bath & Beyond have them…Tupperware used to sell a plastic piece that had holes in it like the diagram someone posted. My spag. measure has a sliding piece that allows me to enlarge or shrink the measuring space based on portion size.

No I don't have a scale or make cooked measurements but once one knows visually how much a serving is by cooking a single portion, I'm ok w/eye-balling it from then on.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of cooked spaghetti is one serving. Is that what you mean? Or do you mean uncooked?
  • AdeYossie
    AdeYossie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also find that obsessive measuring isn't good. I don't want to feel like i am caged or I can't go out and enjoy a meal without panicking about how many cups the rice is or how many calories is this and that. It is ridiculous. Everything should be done in moderation.

My opinion.

Get a scale, get cups, measure some days and don't measure on other days to keep your sanity.
  • l_clc
    l_clc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    QFT...I don't see the difference either regarding whether you measure with a scale or whatever else you're preferring to measure with that you believe won't make you obsessive. The scale is the most accurate. Otherwise just use a measuring cup or go by eye :) Good luck!

But you already *are* measuring. That's what this entire thread you started is about.

The only difference a scale will make is give you an accurate number for what you are already doing.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options

Issues in my past life as well, having a kitchen scale does not seem to affect me either. Have not been able to get away from weighing myself 4-6 times a day... but I knew that would be the risk of having a personal scale in the house. I have made a commitment to myself to only document the number weekly. And I have held to that since the end of October 2013.

Using a kitchen scale has been empowering for me, not to mention its almost impossible to get an accurate accounting by measuring things like shelled walnuts. If I want to measure out 1 ounce of walnuts using a 1/8th cup measure, I am generally shorting myself by 50%. I don't want to do that either. With the scale, I have a much more accurate accounting of what goes in my mouth.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    1/2 cup of cooked spaghetti is one serving. Is that what you mean? Or do you mean uncooked?

On my box of spaghetti its listed as 2oz dry, so I would expect that measurement (1/2 cup) per serving is cooked.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options

One serving of pasta, is what you can fit into the cup of your hand (a handful). Contrary, to what you'd be served in a restaurant.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Oh, I don't have a scale. I'd rather not get one though.

If you do not weigh your food, you don't really know how much you are eating. Why are you supposed to that concept?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Since this thread was posted I am reformed - I weigh it before cooking and it is actually a bigger portion than if you try to do it after it's cooked. :ohwell: