P90X - Worth the hype?!

Options
I've been hearing a lot about P90x, majority GOOD things. What do you think MFP's? Did/do any of you currently use P90x and would you reccommend it? I'd love to hear more, especially from the ladies since I hear it's a pretty grueling program.

Also if someone wants to expound on what Beachbody is and the differences between it and P90x, I'm really interested to hear the pros/cons of both.

Hope everyone is doing good btw! So proud to see all the progress being made from all my friends. Keep it up! You all look great!

Ciao!

:wink:

Replies

• ambercole
    Options
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! It is very time consuming but it is very worth it. If you follow the program there is no way that you wont see results! Try it! you'll love it.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Look at my pics including the before pics and my stats in my signature and you tell me.
  • sassy_2280
    Options
    I LOVE P90X! I just bought size 14 pants and an x-large shirt today and just 3 weeks ago I was a size 18 and xxl for shirts!
    It does take a lot of time but if you commit and eat well you will get results! It is not an easy workout either but he makes it fun. I don't feel bad if I need to take a break during the workout because he is always saying if you need a break take one just keep moving. It's not like other workouts where they are all "come on push push don't stop". Worth the time and money!
  • HappyTemple
    Options
    I've heard that as long as you follow it, it's impossible to not lose weight and look amazing. But I've also heard it's hard as hell. That was deterrent enough for me. :laugh:
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY!!! I started P90X on November 1st with a group of people from here; you can follow our journey at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/131000-p90x-november-1-bring-it

Beachbody is the parent company for a variety of fitness programs that appeal to people of all types and fitness levels. It is a supportive community that you can have limited access to for free. A lot of people on BB are on here. In my opnion, you can't beat this for the food diary. I found the inspiration and some good friends here and then I "suckered" a few of them into doing P90X with me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am only 3 weeks into the program but I am noticing results. Prior to starting this program I was doing a lot of cardio and was seriously lacking in strength training. I am not a fan of the machines at they gym and I knew that free weights get better results but I really didn't feel like hanging out in testosterone land at my gym -- and frankly, I didn't know what I was doing. P90X has given me the confidence to hit that area of my gym...

While the program is marketed as "extreme" -- I find it very manageable as all that is required is to push play and do your best. What I like the most is the diversity and its almost like Tony Horton is right there with you --your own personal trainer 7 days a week! Traditionally, I am not a home workout person -- but this one is different. They show you modified versions of all the moves on the DVDs... both advanced and for those that aren't quite there.

Hope that helps...
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Beachbody is the company that sells P90X, along with several other fitness programs such as ChaLean Extreme, Brazil Butt Lift, Slim in 6, Turbo Fire, etc. You've probably seen the infomercials for at least one of them.

I have not personally tried P90X because I've heard it's so time consuming, but I'm currently doing ChaLean Extreme in hopes of working my way up to P90X someday.

Best of luck!
  • dmmihelcic
    dmmihelcic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am almost three weeks into it. I am loosing weight and looking and feeling better. I don't do the P90X diet but instead eat healthy and stay inside my caloric goal as generated (and tracked) by MFP. Caution, there is no magic in P90X. You must commit between and hour and an hour and a half every day.
  • kaffro
    kaffro Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've heard that as long as you follow it, it's impossible to not lose weight and look amazing. But I've also heard it's hard as hell. That was deterrent enough for me. :laugh:

I was scared of attempting it myself. But you know what? I had nothing to be scared of. It's not easy, I am not going to lie. But, like mentioned above, you can pause it if you need a break and all you need to do is your best. Quality over quantity. I am only on day 5 of my very first round and I am loving it and I always look forward to the next workout. :)

If you can borrow it from someone before you commit to buying, I say go for it. You might be surprised!
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    First of all; I am not a beachbody coach, so I am not going to try to sell you on the program or supplements to buy from me.

Most importantly; I am just a chick who started doing this at the urging of another friend. I am on week 3 and am already seeing changes in my body. After 1 week, I lost up to 1/2 in on most of my measured body parts. It IS tough, that's for sure and you will only get out of it what you put into it. There is an eating plan, but I am not following that currently, I may change my mind after 30 days. I am counting calories here and I use my own recovery drink (not the one BB promotes) and I am feeling great.

But, you should have a level of fitness (google fitness test P90X) and if you can pass that tests minimum requirements then I say go for it ... YOU SHOULD have 6 days a week to dedicate to it, however some have done it in 120 days. Again, you get out of it what you put in to it. One of my friends here Gigi did the program and posted her pics in the forums. In fact, I added her after seeing those pics she is in great shape and it showed me it isn't hype at all. BUT YOU ONLY GET OUT OF IT WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT.

I feel that a lot of people that complain about this, or any, program don't give 110% and expect that Just because they are putting the dvd in they should see results.

I have gotten more out of P90X in 3 weeks (almost done with week 3) then I did with years with a personal trainer.
  • edorice
    Options
    I have gotten more out of P90X in 3 weeks (almost done with week 3) then I did with years with a personal trainer.

Amen to that Karen.
  • mayclai
    Options
    A friend loaned it to me and I tried it out. I quickly realized that it wasn't for me. I didn't have problems with the work outs (they are hard), but I like to work out outdoors. If you like exercise videos, it's everything everyone says it is. You just have to feel comfortable committing time and effort into it. Good luck!
  • ecp2698
    ecp2698 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am three weeks into it, my second time doing it, and I am loving it so far. I am a cardio queen, so doing it forces me to focus more on strength training. The scale has not really moved yet, but I am trying not to get discouraged by that, because I can feel tighter and stronger and my measurements are down a bit, too. It does sound like a lot of time, but if you think of the time it takes to drive to and from the gym, and then doing cardio and strength training, it is probably equal to or even less time.

Good luck if you decide to! :)
  • cowpoke06
    Options
    I'm in my week 5 of P90X and I have mixed feelings about it. The program itself is awesome. It's challenging and everchanging so It's difficult to become bored. However, it is challenging so you have to stick with it. The first week is the hardest. But once you make it through you become empowered knowing you just did what a lot of people can't and won't do. It's hard, and you'll get frustrated and sore but it feels soooo good!

Now, I'm primarily trying to lose weight, 50 pounds to be exact, and P90X is mostly a muscle building program. I have to watch my calorie intake religiously (thank you fitness pal!). I'm here in week five and the number on the scale has only moved a few pounds, but I've lost about 3.5 inches so far. I definitely recomment taking before photos and then taking photos at day 30, 60 and 90. My boyfriend is on the same program ( a few weeks ahead of me) and was feeling really discouraged because he didn't seem to be losing much weight. at week 6 he took photos and when he saw his week one to week six...the difference is incredible. He is thinner and more muscular...but because of the muscle mass the scale didn't didn't move.

You should definitely try it, but stick with it. My one friend is on his third round of p90x and doesn't even look like the same person.
  • sheenabe
    sheenabe Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love P90X. I am a bigger girl with about 60lbs to lose so I too was concerned about the "extreme" part of it. I am so glad I tried it though. The first week sucked!! Big time!!! But I stuck with it and did what I could. I figured there was ton of room for improvement for me so I would not get bored. Anyway here I am on Day 58 and I have lost about 20lbs! Just weighed in this morning! It came a lot slower than the inches lost though. I only lost about 8 pound in the first 6 weeks. So just be forwarned to not expect miracles on the scale if that is what you are wanting, but it does pay off if you stick with it. Try it, it is addicting! I love it. Good luck on your journey!
  • little_ali
    Options
    Does anybody know whether it's available in the UK?
  • genesischristian
    Options
    Thank you to all who have answered! I'm asking my husband for it right now and I can't wait to start! Consistancy isn't really my thing with exercising, but I'm ready for this to be my change :)

And as I said, so far I've heard/seen nothing but great things so I think it's all gonna work out for me - no pun intended. LOL.

To all of you who reccommended I check out your progress with p90x, WOW YOU LOOK AMAZING! Seriously all of you do. It only makes me more confident that this would be a great program for me to begin as soon as I can.

Thanks to all of you for taking time out to respond. Why didn't I hear of MFP earlier?! This place is AWESOME!

:happy:
  • edorice
    Options
    Kaycee - If you just picked up 30 Day Shred I would recommend that you do that for a couple of weeks. It's honestly a good precursor to P90X. It has you do full body work, plank work, and weights. All the type of things that you will need to do in P90X. You could do levels one, then one and two together, move on the level three, then try levels two and three together. Two levels would give you a forty minute workout.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Im on my second round right now, and i love the results and i see more each and every day!!! It is a hard program but if you stick with it you will be kicking A** in no time!!! I cant say enough good things about P90X and i could never thank Tony enough for giving me back the body i once had!!! Check out my before and afters from the 1st round of p90x!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/122822-my-p90x-before-and-after-pics
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Kaycee - If you just picked up 30 Day Shred I would recommend that you do that for a couple of weeks. It's honestly a good precursor to P90X. It has you do full body work, plank work, and weights. All the type of things that you will need to do in P90X. You could do levels one, then one and two together, move on the level three, then try levels two and three together. Two levels would give you a forty minute workout.

What she said! I did the 30DS and it's a smaller commitment time wise but if you can do that then yes, P90X is for you. Besides the DVD's for P90X you need some weights or bands, a pull up bar, yoga mat and yoga blocks (get these for sure).
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    One of my friends here Gigi did the program and posted her pics in the forums. In fact, I added her after seeing those pics she is in great shape and it showed me it isn't hype at all. BUT YOU ONLY GET OUT OF IT WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT.

Awwww Thank you, thats soooo sweet!!! ;-)
    I feel that a lot of people that complain about this, or any, program don't give 110% and expect that Just because they are putting the dvd in they should see results.

Amen Sister!!!!