tips to get thru am run?

Options
Okay the only time available for me to get outside and run is 4:30am and I'm dreading the dark and cold! Any tips to get thru it?

Replies

• demiahbryant
    demiahbryant Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm in Chicago and I have the same issues: I want to run, but the only time I can get out is after 5PM. The average temp is 32 - 40 degrees and the wind is vicious!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I get out for my weekday runs at 5. They're definitely not easy, especially without music. As soon as I start running, it's easier - but getting up and out of bed is definitely hard. Make sure you have some reflective gear and some sort of light source (I have a headlamp and a reflective vest). I got 2 pairs of cold running tights from Pearl Izumi - they both have major reflective panels on the back and they're really warm. Gloves/hat are obviously ideal. I really start the day off on the right foot when I run in the morning in terms of energy and just getting it over with! Morning runs aren't my best runs because I don't stretch and go a fair bit slower, but I enjoy them!
  • smilegirl
    smilegirl Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Personally, that is my favorite time to run! It's so peaceful and quiet and really gets my day off to a great start. Invest in a reflective vest and headlight so you are visible (and helps you to see). I don't wear any headphones/music so that I can be more alert to my surroundings in the dark. I live in Seattle and it was raining as I headed out at 5a, but I just make myself go. Six miles for me this morning and now I don't have to think about working out for the rest of the day. Good luck!
  • futureflaka
    futureflaka Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue! what I've been doing instead of freezing outside is Tae Bo videos. On the days when I have time later during the day and the weather permits I go running at the park.
  • peachesndiesel78
    Options
    I wish I had a sauna to come back to. I'll be looking forward to a long hot shower afterward.
  • peachesndiesel78
    Options
    Yep, hardest thing is definitely getting out of bed and dressed. If I can do that I should be okay.
  • cmorros
    cmorros Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    As a lifelong runner/jogger, I can only say that running in the dark and cold takes alot of determination!!! Do whatever you can to make it fun and enjoyable ... and/or think of the nice warm shower you'll take after your run as your reward. (No, do not reward yourself with hot chocolate or big warm breakfast!) Seriously, you need to keep your eye on the prize ...

That being said, here are some practical things that should help your run go smoother:

Get a headlight ... really! They look a bit "geeky" but they are really a necessity if you run in the dark (morning or evening). You can see where you're going, and others can see you. It's also a safety thing so that you can see others (i.e. someone who might be lurking in the bushes - sad, but true.)

Invest in appropriate cold weather running clothes. Depending on how cold it is, you'll need a coat that wicks moisture away from your body, gloves (I find these a necessity even in southern California), ear warmers, pants/leggings. Again, everything should be moisure wicking ... no 100% cotton. If it's only moderately cold (like 40-50 degrees) then you'll want to layer these items and take them off as you get warm (especially the ear warmers and coat). Remember, you'll get wet underneath everything, so you want to do everything you can to wick that moisture away from your body.

Any chance you have a dog that you can run with? I find my dog to be a good motivator and protector when I run in the dark (her bark is horrific ... but, in reality, she wouldn't a fly. But the people she barks at don't know that!)

If it's really cold (below freezing) you should probably just find an indoor treadmill. Running in sub-freezing weather is dangerous to your lungs, muscles, not to mention the risk of slipping on black ice.

I wish you much success in your venture ... you may want to just target one or two days a week to start, and see how it goes. Then add on another day or two. By then, it will be spring and you'll look and feel so fabulous! :laugh:
  • peachesndiesel78
    Options
    Thanks! I've always been scared in the dark especially since out vehicles were broken into at 430am. Never thought about bringing our dog... but, she's kind of old. Wonder if it would help or hurt her arthritis? It'd be nice to have a partner.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Thats the only time I can get work outs in also! I recommend getting a LED light to wear on your hat or head so that you can see (and more importantly other crazies that are awake at that time can see you). Wear light clothes if possible.

Getting out of bed is always the hardest part for me...once I'm out of the house I'm fine. I always lay out my clothes and running watch/hrm the night before so that I dont have to think too hard before I leave for my run. I usually dont run with my iPod at this time so that i can be alert but I know most people cant do this.

The main thing is safety at this time of the day--try recruiting a buddy!

Good luck!
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    Coffee....hehe

We just bought a Keurig coffee maker and my cup of coffee is ready in 1 min! Then off to workout!
  • cmorros
    cmorros Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If your dog is old and arthritic, you should probably check w/ your vet before taking him/her out. (Mine is still a youngster.) Or, get another dog! There are plenty of great dogs needing new homes! Just kidding ... (sort of.)

I also agree w/ everyone that getting out of bed is the biggest obstacle ... I always set out my full set of clothes and running stuff (Garmin, water belt, knee straps, hair band and running hat, etc.) the night before, and keep it in the bathroom so I don't wake my husband when I'm getting dressed.

You might also try the trick of sleeping in your running socks ... that way your feet won't be cold when you hit the floor, and you're that much closer to being dresssed! Silly, but it might help.

One other trick - every once in a while (like every 4th or 5th run) find a new route ... it's much more fun to run someplace new and/or when you have to think. And it just might be the motivator that gets you up that first morning.

I also agree w/ the comments about feeling so great after an early morning run ... physically and mentally your body is primed for the day.