Weights vs. Cardio

Options
So I met with a personal trainer the other day for complimentary session. He said that we only need to really do about 20 to 30 minutes of cardio 4 to 5 days a week along with resistance training to see a change in our body. I have been doing the elliptical for an hour 3 to 4 times a week and I feel like it has been helping my body change but I am not a big cardio fan. What does every one think of the advice he gave me? Plus do you recommend weight machines or free weights?

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    The CDC (Centers for Disease Control) recommends 150 minutes of moderate intensity cardio per week OR 75 minutes of intense cardio plus 2 or more sessions per week of strength training.

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/adults.html
  • ksimmons19
    ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yes, to change your body comp you need to lift weights. For a healthier heart and vascular system you need cardio, but it isn't everything when it comes to weight loss.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it depends mostly on your goals. personally, i'd like to replace the word cardio with the word "conditioning" as many people hear cardio and think "go run 5 miles."

conditioning should be part of most peoples routine, and can be in the form of running, complexes, plyometrics, or whatever.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I personally consider my lifting enough of a cardio workout on its own. No matter what people say, when I lift the weights sometimes it puts me out of breath, especially DLs, Squats and Gip Thrusts.

As for results, I used to be quite the cardio bunny. It never gave me results I wanted, I got them from lifting heavy alone. I don't do any cardio anymore.

Free weights over machines any day. Mind you being on PHAT I now use machines as well but most of the workouts are free weights. I wouldnt go with a program that uses more machines than free weights.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Free weights and compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc... Maybe a program like Stronglifts 5x5
    I found I lost weight most easily by doing lots of cardio (trail running), but weight training makes my body look better and of course makes me stronger. The problem is, the two can work against each other and can be counterproductive if you overdo either one. Some advocate a balance of weight training and low intensity cardio like walking. Some short sprinting workouts can also be beneficial.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    You need both types of conditioning (Reference: Capt_Appollo). The amount given to each depends on what your goals are for? Gain muscle/Reduce muscle, drop weight/gain weight, improve aerobic capacity, and so on.

M goals: weight loss, reduce body fat %, improve stamina, increase body strength; improve balance & stability; maintain ankle recovery; stay stress free >
    I reduced my cardio work from 6x week to 3-5x week depending on length & endurance of the activity I do: keeps my areobic capacity healthy, blood pressure normal, helps with weight/fat loss.

I do both free weights & machines, 3x week to increase my strength & create body tone, weight loss & body fat loss.

i do other conditioning of complex exercises and polymetrics 2-3x week.: same goals
    I do ankle/hip work, and balance-stabilty work 3x week. My balance stinks & my ankles are weakened from past injuries.
    I try to do yoga 1x week: All goals & especially being Stress free state!
    Everything I try to do and how often I do it is related to my current goals.

Hope this helps you.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    it depends mostly on your goals. personally, i'd like to replace the word cardio with the word "conditioning" as many people hear cardio and think "go run 5 miles."

conditioning should be part of most peoples routine, and can be in the form of running, complexes, plyometrics, or whatever.

Yep.

For me it's running, as I have specific running goals. Yes, it helps my weight loss as well, but that's not the whole reason I do it. Actually, it's kind of double edged with the weight loss. My longer runs make me hungry as hell, it's insane. Even though I get a ton of exercise calories on those days (1200 for a 12 mile run), I still end up hungry. Anyway, I know that if cardio weren't part of my exercise routine I'd have to eat what I consider a paltry amount of calories to maintain a deficit. There is no way I could do that long term. So, while I do have separate running goals, running also helps me with my weightloss. More calories to eat = better adherence.

Body composition wise, lifting has done more for my body. My *kitten* is higher, my arms/shoulders have definition, and I feel like a freaking badass. I know that without lifting I wouldn't look nearly this good after losing almost 90 lbs. No way.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    It's good advice,.
    And i prefer free weights.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Wait, I just looked at your profile and saw that you only have 7lbs to lose. Yeah, the trainer gave you good advice (unless you are training for an endurance event or something). You are absolutely going to see the best results on your body comp with a solid lifting program.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...to see a change in our body.

It depends on your current fitness level, and it depends on your goals. Someone already cardiovascularly fit will likely go backwards with so little work, someone not fit can improve, assuming sufficient intensity.

So....where are you, and where do you want to be?

:smile:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I prefer a mixture but it depends on what you're trying to achieve. I run (pretty short distances at the moment) 3 days per week and lift 3 days per week, and that's been pretty perfect for me. But I mostly do cardio for the calorie burn. I do weights for the body composition.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I personally do both and prefer free weights, though machines have their place.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

Your trainer is more or less, right on. But the Cap is more right on.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 2Dozen
    2Dozen Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    All depends on your goals, your end state. Here is my OPINION:

Its an undeniable fact that cardio in all its shapes and forms is the quickest way to shed the pounds when exercise is concerned, however you will notice once the weight is gone you may not be as toned and defined as you expected to be this is why weight training is necessary. If you are where you want to be as far as weight is concerned i see no reason why you cant cut back on cardio and if you love it focus more on weight training. I love free weights, its universally accepted that you get more benefits from them due to not only having to "lift" the weight but "control" the weight.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    My own preference is to hit the weights first and then do some cardio afterwards (usually 10-20 minutes), and on non-strength training days, I'll do more cardio (30-60 minutes).

One of my favorite analogies for it.. you do only one of those things, you have an engine. You do both of them, you have the engine but you just added a supercharger.

Cardio probably speeds up weight loss a little more than weight training does, provided you are on a good regimen as far as food goes, but nothing will get your body into better function and aesthetics than some heavy lifting!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I did 18 weeks of just lifting and loved the results.

I have recently added in HIIT 2x a week (on my off days) just because I want to...

I will see how long that lasts...not the biggest fan of cardio for "exercise"...I will do it for fun in the summer on a bike or in a pool.

in 8 weeks I have lost 5lbs but....I have dropped a size..almost 2...just by lifting...
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I like weights with a bit of light cardio three times a week. Like, 30 minutes of jogging or brisk walking. But cardio has cool gifs that go with it.

tumblr_l67wl0bmUW1qcrzkko1_500.gif