I'm new.. Hello

Options
Hi

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 34 and I live in the greater boston area! I joined weight watchers about 2 weeks ago and have so far lost 6.2 lbs. I am really looking forward to big changes this year. I'm sick of making excuses and feeling sorry for myself..it's time to take the initiative.. And get this party rolling! I have a long way to go but I'm working towards smaller goals as the time moves along. I really feel like this is my year! I'm shooting for 8lbs a month and looking at 10 lbs at a time( small goals) I've been a lurker on this site for a while and always loved it! I just joined the gym and my goal is to commit 4-5 times a week. I started off just by walking on the treadmill and will eventually work my way up, I don't wanna over exert myself. Any tips and info would be appreciated ,I do struggle with drinking so much water because it's so cold out, said right now that's my biggest struggle! <3

Replies

• DawnMarie1970
    DawnMarie1970 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I added you
  • KellyAnn51
    KellyAnn51 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It's good to have a friend!!
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    You seem like a really sweet person. I'm just gonna say something here and then back slowly out of the room. You say you don't want to over-exert yourself. I get that. But you have to understand that this is what causes change. Think of it this way. Every meal and every workout is nothing more than a conversation you have with your body. What you eat is your way of telling your body how much energy you think it will need to burn. This is why your body stores extra calories as fat. Fat is nothing more than stored energy. If you keep telling your body that it will need 3000 calories worth of energy it's going to keep holding on to those calories expecting to burn that energy. You know that already. That much is common sense.

Here's the thing that most people never fully grasp.... Your workouts are exactly the same. If you go to the gym and you do something that you can already do, then you're saying to your body "I'm not going to expect you to do anything you can't already do". Now, if at work your boss said to you "I'm not going to expect you to do something you can't already do", you would just keep on doing what you've been doing. And that is exactly what your body does. It doesn't change much. If however, you push yourself to the point where you are telling your body "I'm going to be asking you to do things you cannot presently do" your body will respond by adapting and changing so that it can do those new things. Just as you would do at work. Your body is on your side. It's just waiting for you to tell it what to do.

Sorry for the rant. For some reason that sentence just jumped out at me. I tend to lack proper filters. Having said that, if you have a need for someone who lacks all the filters, seriously all of them, and logs obsessively, feel free to send a FR.
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    It is a commitment that you have to do. A lifestyle change!! Friends can add their comments but it is you and you alone that will make the change in yourself.

Feel free to add if you wish.

(ps originally from Mass - Watertown)