math/calorie question... need help please!

Options
hi! so i don't have a hrm... i'm getting ready to do the leslie sansone walk away the pounds, 5 miles. so if i walk 5 miles in one hour, (while keeping up with her pace) how should i log it? its is (obviously) 5mph? lol or is it lower? im new to all this, and i SUCK at all math. thanks in advance! (and sorry for the stupid question!!) lol

Replies

• elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the Leslie Sansone program entails, but if you covered 5 miles in 1 hour, then you count it as 1 hour of walking at 5 mph. I can't think of any reason why it would be lower.
  • scweegie
    Options
    If you google "calorie calculator" or "calories burned while walking" you might be able to find something that would calculate your calorie burn on your pace, weight, age, etc.

Without a HRM that would be your best bet.

GOOD LUCK with the walk
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Slight hijack here but want to ask ....when you enter an exercise on here does it calculate your weight etc?

60 mins of walking at 5MPH = 824 cals for me...is this what everyone else gets?
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Slight hijack here but want to ask ....when you enter an exercise on here does it calculate your weight etc?

It would be different for everyone and 824 cals seems WAAAY high for walking for an hour
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

Mine comes out very different. I think it does take into account your weight or BMI.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

I checked real quick and 60 minutes walking 5 mph gave me 815, just a tiny bit less, but my current weight is 224 also just a tiny bit less. So I'd say yes.
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Yes, I believe so. In my exercise diary, the number of calories listed as burned for the same activity (30 min walking 3 mph) has gone down as my weight has decreased.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I was very suprised to find out that for me (155 5'9" and generally in shape) 1 hour and 4 miles was 700 cals! It was because my HR stayed right at about 160 the whole time. You can probably tell if your HR is about the same the whole time (maybe check it every 15 mins during hard activity and be sure to count in that your warm up and cool down would lower your avg a little) and avg it out) if you keep up the same pace. Then you can take your HR and find out how much you burned.

This site gives me a little higher than my HRM did, but you can get an idea at least: http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/
  • Stu1970
    Options
    I'll let other people do the math - I'll just say well done for doing the exercise - it can only be good
  • ctheslayer
    Options
    5 miles/hour = 12 minute mile. Wow, you guys are FAST walkers because that's a run/jog pace for me.