Counting calories- before, during, or after?

Options
Wondering what is the best way to do this, count calories/figure out everything you'll eat beforehand, count calories while you eat things, or just try to eat well and count up what you ate at the end. I tend to count them as I eat things.

Replies

• MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Beforehand works best. Takes some commitment and planning.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter as long as you count it.. most people do it before or while making the meal I am sure.. that is probably easier.
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I prefer beforehand so I can make adjustments to what I should eat before it's too late.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I like to log everything beforehand, in the morning. This way I can maximize my calories and foods. Works great for me to plan ahead like that. Generally though, for recipes/meats I put in a rough estimate and then when it comes time to cook them I do all my weighing and fine-tuning. But the general plan is already laid out beforehand.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I usually try log my calories beforehand:

1) I can see if eveything will fit within my calorie goal before it's too late.
    2) I have a plan for the day and it keeps me from making a poor decision on the spur of the moment.
    3) If I know I'll be eating out, say it's pizza night, I put the pizza (and beer) in first, then see what I can eat for breakfast and lunch so I don't go over my calorie goal for the day.

Of course, afterwards, if I didn't quite stick to the plan, I correct the entries before I close out the day.
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    I prefer to pre-log and set down my meals first thing in the morning. I'm less likely to be unpleasantly surprised by my calorie count. I can also see how much "wiggle room" there is for snacks and my lack of accuracy in measuring. ;)
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I log everything beforehand.

I rarely pre-log or plan my entire day, but I always know what I'm about to eat before I eat it. I log the day as it goes and make meal choices based on how many calories I have available and what my nutrition looks like. :smile:
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

This until you get used to what food values are that way you will stay within your calories - once you figure this stuff out it's a little easier. When I am making things with multiple ingredients I enter it as a recipe and try to stick to it as closely as possible - you may need to adjust the amount of servings if you end up with more than you thought you would or if the calories are really high per serving you might want to adjust so that there are more smaller servings per recipe or just have a half of serving.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options

This until you get used to what food values are that way you will stay within your calories - once you figure this stuff out it's a little easier. When I am making things with multiple ingredients I enter it as a recipe and try to stick to it as closely as possible - you may need to adjust the amount of servings if you end up with more than you thought you would or if the calories are really high per serving you might want to adjust so that there are more smaller servings per recipe or just have a half of serving.

I think you still need some overall idea of what you will be eating for the day. For example if you know you are going out to dinner you can check menus online and think about eating lighter throughout the day and think about what healthy snacks you may need before you get to dinner.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I pre-plan and then add or remove things if my plans change. Apart from anything else, because I cook only for myself, it helps prevent wastage.
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Breakfast and lunch I log what I eat when I decide what I will be eating. My supper calories are planned around what's left. Once I decide what to have for supper I pre-log it all, adjusting amounts to fit in to my daily goal.
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    Pre-plan. I use the food database on here a lot to check out what calories are in certain things and if it's too much, I find an alternative or have less of it.

It is easy to not count your breakfast and lunch, but the last meal of the day is because I want to stay within my calories. If I have eaten less through out the day, I have more calories for dinner.

It works really well for me :)
  • serenity56
    serenity56 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I try to log before hand as much as possible. That way I know ahead of time exactly what I can/can't have for that meal. I generally regret logging things after I've eaten them because it's easy to go over without even thinking about it!

Logging before you eat means you have the chance to make adjustments before it's done... after you eat it, it's down... no going back. ;)
  • pap401
    pap401 Posts: 2
    Options
    I pre-plan when ever I can and if it looks like i will over run my allowance I just do some extra exercise, that way nothing is too restricted and therefore I keep encouraged.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Whatever suits you. Lately I am trying to add the main meals beforehand so I can think of all the snacks and yummies I can have in addition. This way I make sure I hit my macros before I start snacking
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I usually count it while I am making it. I ususally know what I am going to eat beforehand but I scan and enter everything while making it.