Fruits based diet

Options
Hi everyone!

I was wondering: in terms of health, a diet based mostly on fruits would be a bad idea?
Something like this:

Breakfast: 1 cup of tea OR some homemade orange juice, plus 2/3 cookies
Launch: fruit salad(without sugar)/some different fruits like an apple, some mandarins, a banana or something like this (in a discrete amount to satisfy the hungry)
Snack: 1 cup of tea (without cookies) OR 1 slice of bread with marmalade/honey OR a fruit
Dinner: a normal second course with side dish (maybe some meat/fish/vegetables), avoiding, this time, to eat bread. Plus, maybe, a fruit at the end,

My goal is, first of all, to eat healthier, but I can't really figure out the role of fruits in a diet. Someone says that is better to limit them, because of the high level of sugar and carbs, someone else instead says that there's nothing healthier than fruis. So I decided to ask to the community behind one of the best apps ever developed.

Moreover, I'd also like to lose some weight. I'm about 170cm and 71.5Kg, and despite the fact that BMI calculators say I'm normal, I feel "round" and I have.. mmmh.. a bit of flab. For this reason my goal would be to lose at least 3Kg. Of course I know that I also need to exercises, I used to do it, but in this period it's raining often in my town and I can't go out for running (but I will do as soon as possible).

Thanks in advance for the help!

Replies

• Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Variety is key, enjoys lots of good foods. Too many fruits would be bad for you and I may be wrong but, I don't think most are very high in protein which you need lots of to retain muscle as you slim.

Also that menu doesn't sound high enough in calories. Work out your TDEE and cut 10% off of that. Enjoys all the different food groups to nourish your body.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound very balanced. Fruits are indeed high in sugars, and making them such a major component if your diet is not a good idea. Have eggs for breakfast, soup and a sandwich for lunch, meat and veg for dinner, with 2 pieces of fruit as snacks, and you're good to go.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others you will need protein veg and complex carbs as well as fruit but what you listed looks pretty good to me and men generally need more protein.

Also your calorie calculations are already set at a deficit so make sure you meet the calorie goal set for you (or get as close as you can)

Is what you listed enough? You don't have a lot to lose so I am assuming that your calorie goal might seem high but it is what you would need to lose in a healthy way. I can't view your food diary so this is just a guess.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    It is a very bad idea. You need fat and protein to keep your body and mind working properly. This is science fact. You may get people talking opinion which disregards reality saying it is a good idea, please don't listen to them.
  • looshyloo
    Options
    Eat all the fruit you want. Maybe have some fruit protein shakes?
  • davert123
    Options
    I would recommend you read this and the links from it :-)

good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    there are some that follow the 80-10-10 diet and that is mostly fruit actually

ultimately though you might want to consider why you are doing this. If you really like fruit and that's all you want to eat then go right ahead. If you are doing this, because you think you can lose weight quicker and easier, I would reconsider and just eat what you normally eat within your calorie deficit.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Fruit is healthy and delicious...but you need a lot more protein than that.
  • oalbe
    oalbe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Variety is key, enjoys lots of good foods. Too many fruits would be bad for you and I may be wrong but, I don't think most are very high in protein which you need lots of to retain muscle as you slim.

Also that menu doesn't sound high enough in calories. Work out your TDEE and cut 10% off of that. Enjoys all the different food groups to nourish your body.
    It's what I'm doing in this moment: I enjoy all the I like and let me feel nourished, but this is giving me fat (also if very very very slowly).
    Where is the protein?
    In the dinner.
    It doesn't sound very balanced. Fruits are indeed high in sugars, and making them such a major component if your diet is not a good idea. Have eggs for breakfast, soup and a sandwich for lunch, meat and veg for dinner, with 2 pieces of fruit as snacks, and you're good to go.
    Eggs for breakfast? I barely have breakfast. Really, I don't usually have breakfast because of some reasons. When I eat something for breakfast, is geneally or a cup of tea (with lemon) and cookies, or homemade orange juice, or a fruit (recently I used to eat 4/5 mandarins for breakfast). Or, unfortunately, some snacks from supermarket. I can't drink milk because I'm quite intollerant to it and I've never eaten eggs for breakfast.
    I agree with the others you will need protein veg and complex carbs as well as fruit but what you listed looks pretty good to me and men generally need more protein.

Also your calorie calculations are already set at a deficit so make sure you meet the calorie goal set for you (or get as close as you can)

Is what you listed enough? You don't have a lot to lose so I am assuming that your calorie goal might seem high but it is what you would need to lose in a healthy way. I can't view your food diary so this is just a guess.
    Yeah my calories goal is set to a deficit because of the the fact that I'd like to lose weight, but I'm not logging my food accurately because I'm not eating accurately recently. Anyway, I think I set my food diary as public.
    It is a very bad idea. You need fat and protein to keep your body and mind working properly. This is science fact. You may get people talking opinion which disregards reality saying it is a good idea, please don't listen to them.

I would recommend you read this and the links from it :-)

good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    There aren't enough proteins in the dinner?
    I red the entire thread of your link plus all the links inside it, and I learned a lot of things, thanks :) But my goal is still to eat helthier, and in that links there's no mention of this.
    there are some that follow the 80-10-10 diet and that is mostly fruit actually

ultimately though you might want to consider why you are doing this. If you really like fruit and that's all you want to eat then go right ahead. If you are doing this, because you think you can lose weight quicker and easier, I would reconsider and just eat what you normally eat within your calorie deficit.
    No, well, friut isn't the only thing I want to eat. I like fruit, sometimes I prefer a fruit rather than a dessert, but definitely isn't the only thing I like.

As a side note, just to make the picture of myself more accurate, here are some information about me:

I'm Italian, and here we use to eat a lot of pasta (and bread). I eat pasta at least one time per day (usually for launch) and sometime two times (launch and dinner), with a huge amount of grated Parmesan/Grana cheese. I really like pasta (and bread), but the problem is that is very full of carbs and calories (more than what MFP says), so I don't know how healthy is it. Moreover, it is made of white flour, and out here is full of places and people who says that white flour is not healthy at all, that is treated with chemical substances that drain all the real nutrients from it, and so on. I really don't know who trust.

As I said, I don't usually have breakfast. I know that is a very bad habit, but I'm not used to have an Americans like breakfast with bacon, eggs, quiche and so on. In the past my breakfast consisted of a cup of milk with coffee and sugar with (sometimes) cookies or cereals, but now I can't digest milk and I stopped drinking it (I still use to eat many different types of cheese and mozzarella during the week (not for breakfast, of course)). I also like bread slices with marmalade for breakfast, but I don't always have homemade marmalade since some fruits are available only in determined periods of the year. So, I accept suggestions :P

I avoid sodas, cokes, fizz dinks, chocolate (but I don't feel guilty with dark chocolate in small amounts), nutella, candies etc, and I feel very very guilty when I eat any amount of potato chips (and I don't eat them often). But I drink bottled fruit juice, and I don't know if it's an healthy thing or not.

Again, my goal is first of all to eat healthier, so I'd like to have an overview of the foods that is better to avoid (monosodiumsomething?!?!?) that are not the common ones (see above). Regarding the weight loosing aim, it's secondary, I know how to lose weight since in the past, with the help of MFP and Runkeeper, I lost 3Kg with very small changes to my normal diet and exercising.

Thanks again for the help to everyone :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,245 Member
    Options
    From what I see here, and I only had a short time to read it, you need not so much to lose weight, as change how your body is composed. To do that you would ideally eat at a small calorie deficit (set a goal of .5 pound per week) and start lifting weights using a program like Stronglifts 5x5.

As for eating that much fruit, it is not healthy and will not provide you the protein you need to change your body from being "round" to being tight and muscular.

Lastly, you really need to log what you eat. Looking at what you listed, I can't imagine that would be sufficient calories for a 22 year old male.
  • davert123
    Options
    I'm glad you liked the link :-) . The sexypants link IS how to eat healthier :-) It takes the kwack out of dieting advice and gives it as it is :-) A healthy diet is one in which you hit your macros. Unless you want to get rid of transfats and some food additives then from what I can see hitting your macros is all there really is to it . It doesn't really matter how you do this because by doing it it will limit you from eating loads of "bad" stuff but you can really eat what you want as long as you get your macros.

If you are really interested in nutrition may I suggest a good book I am reading at the moment - "Nutrition for health, fitness and sport" by Williams, Anderson and Rawson. Its hard reading because it is science based but I think this is one of the best books on earth regarding Nutrition at the moment.