How do YOU cook beans?

Options
I need to get more protein, I know beans are a good source. I never ate them growing up so I don't really know how to prepare them. I make a good pasta fragole that has kidney and garbanzo beans, I also mash garbanzos w/ avacado and spread that on sandwiches. Other than that I just don't know what I'm doing. Main dishes or side dishes would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    Soak them overnight, then boil them with sliced onion, salt pepper, garlic and some chili powder , until the beans are almost tendrr I also add a can of roasted diced tomatoes, I usually add some kind of browned meat, or sliced sausage such as linguisa, this is optional, then I put diced onion, shredded cheesr, sour cream avocado what ever condiment on top....yum I usually use pinto beans but any kind will work...
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I use dried beans and a pressure cooker when I can.

Sometimes, I'll sautee small red beans with onion, garic, oregano, and Sazon. I'll either eat the beans alongside of some eggs or I'll throw them in breakfast burritos/tacos.

Soups are good.

I've heard of people using other beans (not chickpeas) to make hummus.

I've used beans and rice, mushed together with a few other ingredients to make "burgers" or you could throw cooked beans into ground meat before cooking regular burgers. :)
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    As a main dish I cook mine in my slow cooker. I soak them for 24 hours then put them on in the morning and let them cook all day on high. I usually chop up an onion, couple cloves of garlic, a stalk or two of celery (if I have it), bell pepper (if I have it) saute them to soften up and add to the pot. A ham bone, chunks of lean ham or any lean sausage (cut up and fried first to cook the fat off) is a good addition.

My dad loved his beans, I grew up eating them and kinda burnt out on eating them. Now I'm living in Louisiana and red beans and rice is a staple here, my husband used to buy Blue Runner beans and add to them but he won't touch Blue Runner now that he's had mine made in the crock pot!
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I used to have a slow cooker. I'd rinse and pour a bag of lintels or split peas into the crockpot, set it to low, then go to bed. The next day at supper, they were perfect. Use a little salt or bullion in the water to help flavor them. My youngest is a carnivore to her soul. For her, I threw in slices of bacon and chunks of cooked ham. Split pea soup was her favorite.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Umm.. basically I put them in Chili.... that's about it. I don't eat a lot of beans. Pork and beans (with the white northern beans) is really good but.... it gives me really bad gas so I don't eat it. lol. But it's really easy.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I soak, boil, then make baked beans out of them. It's really good.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy with beans. I have 4 main recipes I used beans for - usually canned and rinsed.

1- I'll make some multigrain rotini or other pasta. I'll take a can of 3-bean salad, put through strainer and rinse, that way they still have some of the taste of the 'salad' but without the sauce. I'll add them to the paste, add some pesto sauce, and maybe a bit of cheese too. I'll eat it as a side dish with veggies.

2- Gallo pinto, Costa Rican staple. I make some rice. In a skillet, I'll fry a can of black beans (strained and rinsed), some finely diced red, orange, yellow peppers, maybe some tomato, maybe some zucchini, and sprinkle with lime juice. once it's done, I mix into the rice and top it off with tons of delicious fresh cilantro. Makes a great side dish.

3- Chili. I use ground tofu, kidney beans or a mix of beans, tomatoes, red, orange and yellow peppers, cilantro, chili powder, hot peppers, and lime juice. Eat with totopos or make corn tortillas to make burritos.

4- I use the dried bean mix in soup. Boil water and add the dry beans, let it simmer for 45 minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients. Can be used in minestrone type soups. I sometimes also make a soup with beans, quinoa, squash, celery, carrot, kale or spinach, and broth. Reminds me of what I used to eat every single day in Peru.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I like to make homemade hummus with chickpeas then have it with celery sticks or whatever veggies.
    Vegetarian chilli with kidney beans
    Refried beans - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/refried-beans-without-the-refry/
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I buy dried beans (mostly black beans and chick peas), soak overnight, and boil for about an hour or two (until soft). I use them in tacos, on salads, chili, soup, add them to turkey wraps, make hummus. I also mix them with quinoa (cooked with salsa) as a side dish. I also like chick peas plain with a little olive oil and curry.
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I mix canned black beans, corn, and tomatoes with a vinaigrette - black or white balsamic, sherry, or rice wine vinegar with olive oil are some good ones. Season with garlic powder, salt, pepper, even some cilantro. I like to eat this by itself but it is also a good side with turkey burger patties or grilled/bbq chicken.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    I like lentils on their own with a garlicky vinaigrette or in soups, but most beans I puree into a dip for raw veg, similar to hummous.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/quickhummousandolive_71473
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Bobtheangrytomato/view/white-bean-hummus-481000

I make a crunchy snack out of split peas, or turn them into a soup with ham.
    http://www.ihearexercisewillkillyou.com/2010/06/split-pea-crisps.html
    http://dutchfood.about.com/od/soups/r/TraditionalDutchSplitPeaSoup.htm
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I chop n fry up 3-4 slices thick bacon till almost cooked, add 1/2 C chopped onion n sauté until tender, add 2-3 cloves garlic crushed. Then add 3 C fresh green beans and cook till al dente' pepper to taste, YUM!!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    vegetarian chili with black beans and sweet potatoes among other things:
    http://vegetarian.about.com/od/soupsstewsandchili/r/blackbeansweetpotato.htm

quesadillas with black beans, peppers, onions, mushrooms

black bean enchiladas or enchilada casserole

sweet potato burritos with kidney beans (really delish!)
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/addictive-sweet-potato-burritos/

i also like to mash the chickpeas and mix with avocado and greek yogurt inplace of mayo then season with dillweed, chives, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper and eat on a sandwich or wrap

chickpeas on a salad

use lentis to make tacos

chickpea soup:
    1 red onion, diced
    3 cloves garlic minced
    1 can chickpeas or cook dried beans and use 2 cups
    1 1/2 tsp minced fresh sage or 1/2 tsp dried
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    2 cups vegetable broth
    half 10oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dried
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    in medium saucepan, spray with cooking spray and cook onion until soft about 5 mins. add garlic, cook stirring about 1 minute. stir in chickpeas, sage and pepper.
    stir in the broth, spinach and salt, bring to a boil. transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and puree. return to the saucepan and simmer 5 minutes. stir in lemon juice
    makes 4 servings. 163 cals, 3g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 590mg sodium (this will vary depending if you use canned beans and what type of broth), 25g total carbs, 7g fiber, 9g protein,99mg calcium

another chickpea soup:
    2 tsp olive oil
    1 fennel bulb diced
    2 carrots diced
    1 onion chopped
    3 garlic cloves minced
    4 cups vegetable broth
    2 cups coarsley chopped swiss chard leaves
    3/4 cup elbow macaroni
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    in medium saucepan heat oil. add fennel, carrots, onion and garlic. cook stirring as needed until fennel and onions are golden about 10-12 minutes.
    stir in broth, chard, macaroni, and salt; cook until macaroni is tender about 10mins.stir in parsley and pepper
    serves 4, 170 cals

hummus:
    http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Mediterranean-hummus-304159

chipotle hummus:
    http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Mexican-chipotle-hummus-297604
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am trying to add more beans in my diet and my daughter who is a vegetarian. (I am not, but lightening up on the meat)

I just got a new cookbook called the Happy Herbivore Light and Lean and I made their version of shepherds pie. Finely chopped onions and carrots, peppers, (or whatever veggies you want really) and then add cooked lentils, this basically replaces the meat. Add corn or peas and top with mashed potatoes. it was delicious!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options

These are pretty good.

I like to make black bean corn salsa to put on my salads
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Oh yea & black bean burgers are yummy!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    I go the cold-overnight-soak-and-cook-in-a-pot-on-the-stove route when I plan ahead, but occasionally I want beans NOW and don't have any that I've cooked in the refrigerator or freezer, so I keep canned beans on hand too.

Most recently I sauteed a little garlic, fresh sage, and lemon zest in a little olive oil, added small white beans with a little of the cooking water and heated through until the water evaporated. I served it over warm rice with a little more olive oil, fresh lemon juice, salt, and pepper, but you could do it over pasta as well.

The first night I made that batch of beans, I had them with some chopped fresh sage (have to use it up!) and sardines packed in Louisiana hot sauce. Yum!

I like garbanzos/chick peas with couscous, cremini mushrooms, and a lemon-pepper dressing, on a bed of romaine, for a hearty salad.

I made falafel recently for the first time, and the only hard parts were finding all the ingredients (for some reason the recipe called for garbanzo flour in addition to whole garbanzos, although I've since found recipes that just use the whole beans) and turning the felafel over in the pan (I need to find a narrow, offset, long-handled tool for turning stuff in a frying pan -- I used a short-handled tool meant for getting baked goods out of pans and ended up burning myself).

But really the best way to eat beans is a dark chocolate bar with roasted edamame. Mmmm.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Falafel is good. Lentils are a pretty great source of protein, too and can be used in veggie balls and salads.