Opinions on protien bars? Okay for every day?

Options
I need a protein snack for that in between lunch & dinner time. I don't want to do another shake & I need a break from tuna & egg whites, yogurt & cottage cheese is usually saved for my desert lol. So I was thinking a protein bar might be good & simple? I have heard Quest bars are one of the best because they are made from more natural ingredients & low in carbs. I would be consuming one a day & I don't know if that's to much? If not, I am open to suggestions on what I could eat for that mid afternoon snack.

Replies

• Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in hearing the responses to this as well. Right now, I have one each mid-morning and mid-afternoon for my snacks. I've been doing this for about 2 months. I look at it more as a "calorie thing" than anything else. Not only that, but the Nature Valley protein bars are something I found that I really like and they are "dense" enough that I actually feel like I ate something worthwhile.
  • Jrabbit321
    Options
    Bump
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Read the dietary content very carefully. Most protein bars are nothing more than thinly disguised candy bars. "Less processed" or "lower carbs" doesn't automatically equate to being beneficial. If you can find one with a decent nutritional profile, I wouldn't see anything wrong with having one daily - they're food, just like any other food - but I don't find any of them to be particularly satisfying/satiating as a snack.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I reeeeeally like quest bars. Some flavors taste a bit like play doh though so be careful.

The chocolate-peanut butter one tastes like a tootsie roll and is super filling. (DONT get the Cinnamon Roll flavor...pure cardboard...with a hint of cinnamon ;) )

http://www.questproteinbar.com/
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    <
    eats a protein bar EVERY DAY!!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    <

What's your brand! Doesn't look like you're eating the candybar types haha
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I like Quest protein bars. Lots of protein for relatively few calories. Just be sure that you have a day or two to yourself when you first try them, unless you already eat A LOT of fiber. each bar has 17-18 grams of fiber, which is quite a bit. It certainly won't be a problem if your body is accustomed to fiber, but if you're not you could have some "digestive problems" (to put it delicately)

Also beware the sugar alcohol. This could also cause digestive problems. Some people can handle sugar alcohols well or have built up an immunity, and with other people even a couple grams will have them running to the bathroom every couple minutes.

One major downside to Quest bars is that they are quite expensive. If you plan to eat one a day, it will really add up.

I don't mean to put you off Quest bars with these warnings. I eat them occasionally, and think they are some of the best protein bars around. They pack a lot of protein and fiber. They're definitely not the glorified candy bar that most protein bars are, and they taste pretty decent. If you like tootsie rolls, you'll love the chocolate brownie flavor (its my favorite)
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I like Kashi Go Lean Chocolate Caramel Protein and Fiber bar--150 calories, 8 grams of protein, 6 grams of fiber. They are reasonably priced and provide enough protein for a decent snack. I don't see why one in the afternoon would be a problem if it fits within your goals.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    <

What's your brand! Doesn't look like you're eating the candybar types haha

Pure protein.
  • ashleybreuer
    ashleybreuer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 quest bars a day. Brownie is by far my favorite and I find that if I warm them in the microwave they taste amazing.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I like the Nature Valley Protein bars. Looking into making my own though. Currently looking at:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/355126-diy-protein-bars/
  • Jrabbit321
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions :-)
  • treisch
    treisch Posts: 13
    Options
    Make sure they are low in sugar/carbs and they are fine! I like Pure Protein bars
  • kaylakissane
    Options
    I eat a Questbar everyday, and love them! If you want a "desert" heat your oven to 400 degrees and put a questbar in it for 4 and half minutes. I bake my apple pie and chocolate cookie dough flavors all the time, and they're delicious! Quest is also coming out with a cookies and cream bar in the next couple of weeks :D
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I've only tried one Quest bar before. It was ok. Kind of expensive and never really see them around.

I enjoy clif bars and kind bars.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I find Quest bars to be disgusting but better tolerated if you microwave them for 5 to 10 seconds. They appear to be better nutritionally than most protein bars.

Many of the protein bars available at common stores are a hodgepodge of various ingredients which generally include lots of added sugar. Not that that is an issue, but something to be aware of...

Alternatively why not use an alternate protein source like tuna in the packets or beef jerky or lunch meat etc etc. They are still rather portable and easy to eat on the run.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I just tried the quest bars this week flavor so love white chocolate raspberry, brownie, and chocolate chip cookie dough. I went and got a few others t try this week. Ones with the sugar alcohol have the after taste but not too bad for me anyway.
  • Davelh1976
    Davelh1976 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Moderation Is everything! Just be careful some people are overdosing on protein in which can elevate ketone levels and damage kidneys.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just go for the ones that have 20g of protein. Quest are the best because they have a lot of fiber too. Pure protein is ok (the soft baked ones are excellent) but have more sugar. All the 'protein' bars that have less than 20g of protein or are over 210 calories are pretty much candy bars though, still good (I love Luna and Cliff Bars) but harder to fit in a diary I think...