Quinoa!

Options
13»

Replies

• suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I love Quinoa, I normally just make it with turkey and tomatoes-perfect!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to figure out the calories of quinoa. so if you could tell me how many calories are in a half-cup of cooked quinoa I'd appreciate it, and also how much is in uncooked... a lot of the time I do up just enough for one meal.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    It has been quite a while since I have cooked quinoa, and I was just looking at the package in my pantry this past week thinking that I should get back to experimenting with it again, Thanks for the recipes so far :smile: Inspiration once again :flowerforyou:
  • KHalseth
    KHalseth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It is good but I find millet to be MUCH tastier. Saute some onion and garlic in olive oil. If you want, add some diced or minced up chicken at this point. Next add the millet and roast the millet. It brings out a rich, nutty flavor. Add water and seasonings you want to use. Then let cook. Check the water to millet ratio on the package and cook per that once the water is added. Quinoa is okay but I don't think it is as yummy. It soaks up more water and puffs up larger so you feel like you are eating more.
  • rustyvicinie
    rustyvicinie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    bump! wife has been making it routinely past few months will have her share.
  • setaylor86080
    setaylor86080 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Wow I am going to have to come back write all these down
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Our current favorite quinoa recipe- ham and cheese quinoa frittatas.

http://iowagirleats.com/2012/02/16/mini-ham-cheese-quinoa-cups/

We can't get enough!
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Mittzu
    Mittzu Posts: 37
    Options
    bump!
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I like Quinoa too. Look up Quinoa Meatloaf on AllRecipes.com. I use that one for a "healthy" alternative when making meatloaf. Instead of oats or breadcrumbs, use Quinoa. It adds a great, nutty flavor. I love it!

I'll have to try some of the other Quinoa recipes on here too. Thanks!
  • bribrijean234
    bribrijean234 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump! These recipes all sound delicious!
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    This is my absolute favourite breakfast food. Quinoa porridge. Quinoa for breakfast!!

http://theshiksa.com/2012/05/15/quinoa-porridge-with-maple-and-brown-sugar/

It is absolutely divine and beats regular old oats every day of the week.
  • jerber160
    Options
    but HOW MANY CALORIES ARE IN IT?
    the data base says 1/2 cup prepared = 111 calories but 1/4 up dry =170 calories.
    So Quinoa is not like rice where the general rule is it doubles its bulk when cooked? 1/2 cup dry rice yields 1 cup cooked rice?
    HELP.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Hazelnut79
    Hazelnut79 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad is one of my faves. I've made it with regular quinoa as well, and a mix, and both are great. It'll last several days so sometimes I make a batch on Sunday and bring it for lunch all week.

From http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/21/red-quinoa-and-black-bean-vegetable-salad/

Yield: ~5 cups

For the salad:

1 cup uncooked Red quinoa
    1 (14oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 red pepper, chopped
    1/4 cup fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
    2 Green Onions, chopped
    1 cup fresh corn (optional) *see note
    1 small avocado, chopped into 1 inch pieces

For the dressing:

4-5 tbsp of fresh lime juice (Juice from 2 small limes)
    1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
    1/2 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/4 cup fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 tsp ground cumin, or more to taste

Directions:

1. Cook 1 cup Red Quinoa according to package directions.

2. While quinoa is cooking, prepare the chopped vegetables and whisk together the dressing.

3. Allow quinoa to cool after cooking for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Add the beans and vegetables and toss well.

4. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well with salt and pepper to taste. Bring salad to room temperature before serving. Keep fresh in a sealed container for 1-2 days. Makes about 5 cups.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been using quinoa instead of oatmeal. I microwave 1/4 cup quinoa + 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk + 1/2 tsp. cinnamon on 70% power for 6 min. Then I stir in 1/2 tbsp. almond butter + 1 sliced banana.

This sounds very good. Will try it!
  • sunny1shine
    sunny1shine Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    quinoa triples in size when cooked
  • jerber160
    Options
    quinoa triples in size when cooked

really? cool.. thank you

so one-half cup of quinoa and one-half cup of rice, prepared have about 100 calories? got it..
  • RockingGranny
    RockingGranny Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite summer recipe, but now that I am thinking about it ---- I am going to make some today. It is just yummy and light, although I do substitute cilantro for the parsley. :smile:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-Tabbouleh/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=quinoa&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Article

Connie