Bad/Good Sugars

Options
I don't usually worry about my sugars from fruits and vegetables. I am a little confussed on the sugar in ketchup- is this considered a good or bad sugar?? Also sugar in milk. I love milk but am worried about the sugar in it. I will only drink 2%- I would drink whole milk but know that 2% is better. Yes, I know skim milk is probably the best for dieting but this is just one of the things I can not tolerate. So, do I need to worry about my sugars that are counted in ketchup and sugar?? I really don't use ketchup too much anymore- am trying to replace with honey mustard or some kind of mustard. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• Loseittoo
    Loseittoo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't usually worry about my sugars from fruits and vegetables. I am a little confussed on the sugar in ketchup- is this considered a good or bad sugar?? Also sugar in milk. I love milk but am worried about the sugar in it. I will only drink 2%- I would drink whole milk but know that 2% is better. Yes, I know skim milk is probably the best for dieting but this is just one of the things I can not tolerate. So, do I need to worry about my sugars that are counted in ketchup and sugar?? I really don't use ketchup too much anymore- am trying to replace with honey mustard or some kind of mustard. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

You do not need to worry that much about ketchup and milk sugars. It's the simple processed sugars you need to watch out for. Candy for example. Table sugar.

No need to stress. Ketchup is fine. As is milk.
  • KAK68
    KAK68 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That is what I was hoping to hear- lol! WOW 169 pounds- good for you!!
  • Loseittoo
    Loseittoo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    That is what I was hoping to hear- lol! WOW 169 pounds- good for you!!
    Thanks!!! :happy:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Basically, all sugar should be eaten in moderation, including natural sugars. However, the ones you should really try to keep to a minimum are ADDED sugars. Most Ketchups have a mix of added and natural sugar. Read the ingredients, if it lists sugar, then it's added. Tomatoes do have some sugar naturally. Unfortunately they don't breakout added and natural on food labels. Unless you're drinking flavored milk, then it doesn't likely have any added sugar.

All of these are names for added sugar that you may find listed in foods:
    brown sugar
    corn sweetener
    corn syrup
    dextrose
    fructose
    fruit juice concentrates
    glucose
    high-fructose corn syrup
    honey
    invert sugar
    lactose
    maltose
    malt syrup
    molasses
    raw sugar
    sucrose
    sugar
    syrup

(from http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/discretionary_calories_sugars.html )
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Another tip: when grocery shopping, try to look for options that don't have added sugars. For example, I now only buy peanut butter with one ingredient: peanuts! No added sugar or salt. I buy yogurt with no added sugar, same with applesauce. I'm pretty sure they make ketchup with no added sugar, too. Many types of foods have variations in the grocery stores now that are either added-sugar free or very low.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I really don't use ketchup too much anymore- am trying to replace with honey mustard or some kind of mustard. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Skip on the honey mustard. It's not all that much healthier than ketchup, and has about the same sodium levels. Instead, try a yellow mustard. It'll give your food that extra flavoring, but with much less sodium and calories.
  • KAK68
    Options
    Thanks for all the info- very helpful- I also noticed how much sugar yogurt has in it. I'm starting to get the hang of this eating healthier- you really do have to read those labels though. Thanks again.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Another tip: when grocery shopping, try to look for options that don't have added sugars. For example, I now only buy peanut butter with one ingredient: peanuts! No added sugar or salt. I buy yogurt with no added sugar, same with applesauce. I'm pretture sure they make ketchup with no added sugar, too. Many types of foods have variations in the grocery stores now that are either added-sugar free or very low.

"No sugar added" is also code for "We substituted another ingredient that has natural sugars"...like apple juice, grape juice, or apple sauce. This is especially true with fruit juices, as apple juice is a favorite for sweetening up the drink, without having to add sugar.

I only know this because I'm allergic to artificial sweetners, and apples! Great combo to have...though, I wouldn't eat artificial sweetners even if I could. Except for chewing gum...being able to chew gum to dull my hunger would be nice at times.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Another tip: when grocery shopping, try to look for options that don't have added sugars. For example, I now only buy peanut butter with one ingredient: peanuts! No added sugar or salt. I buy yogurt with no added sugar, same with applesauce. I'm pretture sure they make ketchup with no added sugar, too. Many types of foods have variations in the grocery stores now that are either added-sugar free or very low.

"No sugar added" is also code for "We substituted another ingredient that has natural sugars"...like apple juice, or apple sauce. This is especially true with fruit juices, as apple juice is a favorite for sweetening up the drink, without having to add sugar.

I only know this because I'm allergic to artificial sweetners, and apples! Great combo to have...though, I wouldn't eat artificial sweetners even if I could. Except for chewing gum...being able to chew gum to dull my hunger would be nice at times.

That can be true (substituting another item with natural sugars) but not always. Most of the no sugar added foods I buy (like those I listed) really are just plain with no added sugars (or other substitute items). But definitely a good thing to look out for! I'd add regular fruit juice to the list I posted above... they do have fruit juice concentrates listed as an "added sugar".

I also look out to try to avoid artificial sweeteners - the no sugar added hot cocoa, for example, has artificial sweetener. (So does some regular hot cocoa - it has added sugar AND artificial sweetner... go figure!) Don't want to copy/paste another list, but this site has a good list of sugar substitutes (a lot of sugar alcohols) and aritificial sweeteners. The only one on the list I don't try to avoid consuming is Stevia, and even then I'm picky about what type. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_substitute (I know wikipedia isn't the best source, but the info on this page is pretty easy to verify, and this is a handy list!)

Reading ingredient lists is SO important.
  • ottawagirl613
    ottawagirl613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about the sugars that you get from fruits, vegetables or milk, as you need to include these items in your diet regularly in order to reap all the benefits of healthy eating. Condiments, however, are an area that everyone who is looking to lose weight/eat healthy should try to reduce their consumption. The sugar in ketchup is not derived from the tomatoes that it once (arguably) came from, they are added sugars. This basically means that the sugar in ketchup is not better then the sugar in a chocolate bar lol. The other thing I would advise you is to watch your sweet/honey mustard intake. While original mustard may have few or no calories, sweet/honey mustards contain lots of added sugars too. Check your labels and try to convince your taste buds to head down the path of good old fashioned regular mustard!
  • KAK68
    Options
    Plain old mustard it is then. Good thing I like mustard. Thanks everyone- I love all the information I get from everyone- very helpful