5'6, 165lbs

Options
I'm New to MFP.... I'm wanting to lose 30 lbs, and tone up. Just be a healthier person. Is there any advice how to achieve this. I have been trying to go to the gym an hour everyday..

Would really appreciate advice. Thanks everyone

Jessica

Replies

• Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    You'd get more responses on this kind of post in the weight loss section but to answer your question it takes a few things...

1) patience--the weight won't come off overnight but it's consistent forward progress in light of momentary setbacks that will get you to goal.

2) eating at a calorie deficit--if you follow MFPs calorie recommendations you will lose weight. Make sure your goal isn't too aggressive (not more than 1 pound per week with your goal of losing 30 pounds).

3) don't be too restrictive--this will likely backfire and lead to burn out very quickly or a pattern of restricting and then binging on the treats you don't allow yourself to have so incorporate those items into your daily diet and just account for them

4) eat your exercise calories as needed--I always eat mine and MFP was designed so that they are to be eaten. This is important because exercise increases caloric expenditure and therefore increases the number of calories your body NEEDS to function. You said you want a "toned" body which means that you need to retain as much lean body mass as possible (LBM) which requires you to fuel your muscles/body appropriately. So, don't refuse yourself additional calories when you need them.

That's about all I can think of but really it's simple--small steps forward until you reach goal. When you slip up, and we all do, just put it behind you (no compensating, no guilt or berating yourself) and make better choices at the next opportunity. Best of luck to you.
  • JaneE1967
    JaneE1967 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm also new to MFP, I am older but same height as you and I would like to get back to weight that you are. I have just completed my first week at gym, (cardio & strength training) hoping to get healthier/fitter to keep up with my family. You are welcome to add me as a friend for mutual support, good luck with your goals. :happy:
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I started at 5 lbs heavier than you, and am now down to 142 with some still to go (would love to see 135). It's completely doable. You're not that overweight now. You most likely won't experience the same HUGE losses as people with more to lose. Keep a calorie deficit, find some kind of exercise that you love to do, and you'll find the weight coming off.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'6" and I started my healthy lifestyle 2 years ago when I was 168 lb. I lost the first 11 lb. without help from MFP, but my weight stalled, so I came back to give myself a boost! At first, I didn't make much progress because I didn't log very accurately. However, I've been logging very carefully at a small (up to 500 calorie daily) deficit and I've lost another 5 lb. since joining. I'm now within a healthy weight range, but I hope to lose a little more. :)
  • jessicamarie0920
    Options
    Thank you everybody!!:smile:
  • sajero2
    sajero2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and started off in October at almost the same weight as you (164). I am down 17 pounds and it's come off steadily. I eat around 1500-1600 and workout 30 minutes 5-6 days a week. It's really not that hard! I eat carbs, sugar, etc.; I just measure and log and it's working. Good luck! Start today; in 3 months when you're down to the 140s where I am you'll be glad you started today. :)
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You'd get more responses on this kind of post in the weight loss section but to answer your question it takes a few things...

1) patience--the weight won't come off overnight but it's consistent forward progress in light of momentary setbacks that will get you to goal.

2) eating at a calorie deficit--if you follow MFPs calorie recommendations you will lose weight. Make sure your goal isn't too aggressive (not more than 1 pound per week with your goal of losing 30 pounds).

3) don't be too restrictive--this will likely backfire and lead to burn out very quickly or a pattern of restricting and then binging on the treats you don't allow yourself to have so incorporate those items into your daily diet and just account for them

4) eat your exercise calories as needed--I always eat mine and MFP was designed so that they are to be eaten. This is important because exercise increases caloric expenditure and therefore increases the number of calories your body NEEDS to function. You said you want a "toned" body which means that you need to retain as much lean body mass as possible (LBM) which requires you to fuel your muscles/body appropriately. So, don't refuse yourself additional calories when you need them.

That's about all I can think of but really it's simple--small steps forward until you reach goal. When you slip up, and we all do, just put it behind you (no compensating, no guilt or berating yourself) and make better choices at the next opportunity. Best of luck to you.

exactly this.
    Great post. I could not have written it better.
  • kirstinmizner
    kirstinmizner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and I am 153 currently... I started at 157... Really wanting to get down to 126 by the middle of May as my 5 year anniversary is then and my hubby is taking me on a cruise! Add me as a friend and we can talk..
  • kw1452
    kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You can add me too. I am 5'6 at 173 lbs. I lost some, gained it all back during xmas, and am back to losing again.

Rather than eating the same things and just logging and reducing portions, I'm trying to actually change what I eat. Slowly I am adding more veggies and I'm eating healthier versions of food, like wheat everything and altered recipes.

I'm also going to try a juice challenge, where I drink a juice everyday for 30 days. I've never tried juicing before, but I've read several things on it and watched "fat sick and nearly dead" and have been inspired. Juicing veggies and fruits can help you ingest alot of micronutrients that your body may not be getting from your normal diet. I'm adding flaxseed to either my juice or my morning cereal to get the benefits from that.

Also, I've stopped trying to "diet". I've learned that as long as I think of it as a diet, I'm always longing for bad foods and having negative thoughts, and I'm always waiting for the day when I can eat bad foods again. Instead, I'm trying to live a new lifestyle. I want to change how I eat for life - to improve my health.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", currently 146 pounds, started at 210. I work out every day and mostly eat healthy foods cooked at home from recipes, with some flexibility for eating/drinking what I want at social events in reasonable portion sizes. Unlike most on here, I do not count calories, but I do weigh myself every morning and use that number to gauge how I'm doing and adjust food and exercise as needed.
  • RosiePosiePuddingAndPie
    Options
    I'm 5'6 too :) I started at 173lbs in 2009, got down to 133 at one point and then maintained at around 140 for ages. At the moment I'm 149 after getting a bit complacent before Christmas, so I'm trying to get back to 140 again :)

Mostly I try to eat healthily without banning any foods because then all I want is the forbidden things!! I tend to reduce my carb portions because they're usually the highest calorie part of my dinner.

I also use the calorie goal set by mfp to give me a general guideline but I don't beat myself up when I go over occasionally. And I try to go to the gym 3 times a week but it's usually more like 1-2 times a week..!

Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm just shy of 5'6" and lost over 15 lbs on MFP. I am now sitting at 138 lbs and am on maintenance. I'm pretty happy where I am right now, but may try to lost another 3 or 4 pounds later.

I second the person who said don't try to restrict foods. If you like things such as chocolate, then work it into your daily calorie goal. Deprivation is the surest road to "cheating" and bingeing.

Look at exercise as your friend - it allows you to eat more. Yesterday my hubby and I went on a fabulous 2 hr bike ride and while it was a fabulous experience in its own right (we rode on an amazing trail system), one of the perks was getting to eat a couple of chocolate bars as a "snack", and then have a big pasta dinner that evening.

And as far as exercise goes, do what you like best because if you don't enjoy it, you won't do it. I took up running again because I love running, and I have also newly discovered trail biking after someone gave me a great bike, so I do that too. For me, going to a gym would never last - I hate gyms. I'd rather be outdoors. So know yourself and choose something that you will enjoy doing, not something you feel you "have" to do.

And last of all, patience. If you overeat one day, forgive yourself and try to be under a bit for the next day or two to make up for it. Good luck!