Weight training.

Options
Hello! I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers for weight training? I really would like to tone up some more, but have always been kind of clueless when it came to building a weight training routine. I run pretty regularly and was wondering if any of you run the same days as you weight train?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options
    Hello! I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers for weight training? I really would like to tone up some more, but have always been kind of clueless when it came to building a weight training routine. I run pretty regularly and was wondering if any of you run the same days as you weight train?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :smile:
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    Based on my experience, weight training helped me lose 75lbs and continues to be beneficial. I've been slacking but I usually feel an endorphin rush right afterwards.

Make sure to start off where it's not so darn difficult. I went into it thinking I could lift a house and learned a lesson the hard way. I run and weight train on the same day. Sometimes, if I'm exhausted or put in a twelve hour day at work, it's imperative to at least do one. It's always okay to alternate as well just because it's nice to mix it up. Today, I've really slacked and decided not to do both. BUT I stayed under my calories and am heading to bed here soon for an early morning workout! :)

Aside from my rant, I'm sure you'll do just fine.
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Go to this link: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/fitness/cfile.jsp?item=/marketing/buildaworkout/BuildVideo

Then you can sign up for free and build your own work out. You tell them what you want to strength train and within about 30 seconds you have a work out video between 15 and 60 minutes long (your choice). It may be a great place for you to start if you're not sure what to do. You can also select what equipment you have so you get exercises you can do!!
  • food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options
    Wow, thanks!!
  • vindicator6
    Options
    When it comes to weight training & Aerobics ( i.e running) I have learned to separate them.

If you run in the morning, lift in the evening or if you run in the evening, then lift in the morning.

Doing both in the same workout can be very taxing on the body and can lead towards burnout/overtraining.

Just a bit of advice if you are planning to do both. :smile: