Give me an idea of how long it will take?

Options
Disclaimer - Yes I know you can't perfectly calculate how things will work out, but I would just love an idea of how long you guys think my journey will take.

Female
18 years old
Height - 5'9/175cm
Current weight - 200 pounds/90 kg
Goal 1 - 175 pounds/79 kg
Goal 2 - 150 pounds/68 kg
Ultimate goal - 140 pounds/63.5 kg

I eat 1300 calories a day and eat back all of my exercise calories. I workout 4 times a week doing solely cardio.

Also, any tips or advice would be lovely :)

Replies

• greyoutside
    Options
    Well, you're going to destroy your metabolism eating that little (MFP is absolutely terrible about this) so who knows
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Well, you're going to destroy your metabolism eating that little (MFP is absolutely terrible about this) so who knows

Well, she won't destroy her metabolism, but eating that low and trying to lose as quickly as possible is a good way to ultimately fail. Very few people maintain their weight loss when crash dieting, so I generally recommend eating a more reasonable deficit and losing at a slower, more reasonable rate in order to build good habits that will serve you over your life.
  • obmckenzie
    obmckenzie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't where you lose weight. It's all in the diet, so if your diet is full of sugar/carbs you are not going to see a lot of changes.

If you lose 1lb a week and everything just happens to go right and work for you. Then 200 to 170 should be 30 weeks. 170 to 150 is 20 weeks. It really won't happen like that though. You'll lose water weight in the beginning and then probably stall a few times.

It really depends but I know that on my diet (keto) I lose about 1.40lbs a week depending on how much water I'm able to intake (usually around 1.80 if I get my 4 liters).
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    It'll also be the awesome fast track to losing valuable muscle mass, what with the no resistance training and all cardio, all the time. I lost 50 pounds on a low calorie vegetarian diet when I was 22-23, and I just about cry when I think about all the muscle I must have lost.
  • obmckenzie
    obmckenzie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Actually not really. I eat the right macros and make sure I get enough protein. I haven't lost any muscle mass.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Actually not really. I eat the right macros and make sure I get enough protein. I haven't lost any muscle mass.

And how do you know this? Were you getting dexa scans done regularly?

Also, were you doing resistance training during this period?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you might lose quickly but it'll be so much muscle. And you'll probably be hangry (depending on how much exercise you do to get more calories).

This link to Scooby's is nice because you can easily play around with deficits and see what they work out to for a year (on average). The method is different - TDEE - which is where exercise calories are included, so no eating anything back on different days. Take the (TDEE - some percentage) and that's how you get your deficit. Play around. And poke around his site. I like him :) There's a little bit of dubious science, but the man can clearly help most of us, lol!

edit: the link, duh! http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Don't eat less than your BMR unless you are extremely heavy (high bf% I mean), and try not to even net below it if you are concerned about preserving muscle and feeling your best.

Of course, lift some weights (or hard bodyweight moves at least). That's just so important for so many things. Minimum twice a week. Really :) Good luck!
  • HardyHardyK
    Options
    Thanks lovely folks. I have a good treadmill at home and a lot of space to workout , but I have no weights and don't really want to go to the gym. Any way I can strength train at home?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Thanks lovely folks. I have a good treadmill at home and a lot of space to workout , but I have no weights and don't really want to go to the gym. Any way I can strength train at home?

Definitely! Start with yoga, imho, and then there are advance yoga positions, for one route (I do). Folks also suggest nerdfitness for their bodyweight programs and You are Your Own Gym. Also Convict Conditioning.

I do yoga, some gymnastics, and tough dance moves (the training, anyway) that require a lot of strength. Basically, if you can progress with the difficulty, you are good. If you can do it easily, it's not going to do strength training for you (not that it's bad just to get the blood flowing, etc).
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I put your stats into this calculator
    http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/weight-loss-calculator.php

To lose 60lbs: (the date is the date that you would theoretically meet your goal)

#1 - 500 cals less than TDEE - March 21, 2015
    #2 - TDEE - 15% - June 23, 2015
    #3 - TDEE - 20% 2178 calories February 14, 2015

Its just a rough guess but I like this calculator b/c it gives a realistic timeline IMO.