Exercise Equipment

Options
What kind of Exercise Equipment do you have? Would you recommend anyone buying it? Would you recommend no one ever buying it?

Replies

• Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    The only thing I own is a Jump Rope unless you count the Basketball and soccer Ball.

A good pair of Gym shoes is a must.
  • GeordieRover
    GeordieRover Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    A semi recumbent exercise bike.
    Why?
    Because whether, the weather is sunny or rainy, you can use it.
    Watch Tv,, surf the net, listen to music whilst reading, get some lightweight dumbells out, and get the arms upper body burning calories, whilst you pedal.
    The point is , you use it.
    Because you can do other things at the same time.
    Even if you are feeling burned out, just sit back , and pedal slow.
    Better than sitting thinking about going to the garage and working out.
    The best thing ever invented for couch potatoes.
    Have lost 6ibs in twelve days.
    Why?
    Because i use it.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I'm only going to list the ones I use. Resistance bands (a few sizes), loop resistance bands, and weighted gloves. I think I'm going to get a weighted vest too. I don't like clutter and I can travel with these things very easily. I do a lot of home workouts, so it fits my needs great.
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have a yoga mat (for floor work) and dumbbells (I am working on a collection, but I have 2 lb, 8 lb, and 10 lb right now). That's all I have, though I'm liking the idea of building a home gym!
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've got a yoga mat and blocks, a pullup bar that hangs in the door, and hand weights that go from 5, 14, 20 pounds.
    I take the bench from my dining room and use it for some exercises.

We don't have room for any big equipment :(

But I love what I've got. Id like to add a barbell and some more weights.
  • jamiemommaof3
    jamiemommaof3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I own a treadmill, 8 pound hand weights, 5,10, 15 pound kettlebells and a curling bar. I use the treadmill almost every day, the kettlebells 1-2 times a week and I just got the curling bar.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to go to a gym. We have had a treadmill for about 20 years. The motor went out, so we decided on an elliptical. (Then we found we could order a replacement motor, so we have both )

The advantages of the elliptical for me:
    - very quiet -- easy to listen to things while you're on it, doesn't bother other people
    - it goes at your speed -- no need to try to make your music match the pace of your treadmill. You pick music you like and it's almost like dancing along to it.
    - less bouncing up and down. You can read if you put a book on the console.
    - because you never lift your feet off the pedals, it is actually less stress on your joints than walking on solid ground.

As I said, the treadmill lasted 20 years and is now on its second life. Well-made exercise equipment is a lifetime investment if you really use it.

And now that my kids are off at college, it's so much easier to exercise in the basement with the curtains closed wearing next to nothing and not worrying about getting sweaty :)
  • aufond
    aufond Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have membership to a gym, but I haven't used it lately because I've recently discovered bicycling! I've had a nice Trek hybrid bicycle for several years, but it was only a few months ago that I decided I needed to lose weight, so I started riding exclusively to work (about 3 miles each way). After using online calculators, I was shocked to see how many calories I was burning. Now I've established a ten-mile ride I've been doing every day, it takes about 45 mins. and burns about 400 calories, making it much easier to stay within my daily target! I used to use the elliptical at the gym, but for me, nothing beats being outdoors, breathing in fresh air while exercising!

In addition to that, I have some dumbbells, you can do A LOT of exercises with those to work all parts of your body. I can also recommend https://www.fitstudio.com/exercises for ideas, they have a lot of filters you can click on to specify areas of the body as well as different types of equipment, etc.

All in all, there's an awful lot you can do in the comfort of your own home, you just need to commit to a routine. Good luck!
  • granniegreenow
    granniegreenow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have some resistant bands an exerdics for balance a bike and a fithoop and fitarm hoops. I go to Curves which is not much of a challenge, but it suits me as I have ****ie knees and can't run, I also play golf a couple of times a week. good luck finding something to suit you.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    recommend:

Costco 3pack headlamps

Helly/Hansen rainjacket
    Guy Cotton polartec baselayer
    NB trail running sneakers
    Osprey pack
    XOficcio hiking pants
    Stabilicers or Yaktrax

Brooks running shoes
    Pearl Izumi running jacket

Olympic weights
    Valor BD-9 squat stands (they work for small spaces, but if you have the room get a real rack)
    X-Mark commercial FID bench

Don't recommend:
    Golds Gym XR5.9 bench... unless you only weigh 83 pounds and don't plan on lifting anything more than a phonebook
    Standard weights if you plan on doing Stronglifts for more than 3 weeks
    anything As-Seen-On-TV or endorsed by a "TV" doctor.
  • cali_flower
    cali_flower Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody