This may be a stupid question

Options
This may be a stupid question but according to the machines and MFP the stationary bike (even on light effort) burns far more calories than a brisk walk on the treadmill can this be so? The treadmill certainly feels like harder work.

The reason I ask as I'm considering buying a piece of equipment for home to keep the exercise activity up on the days I can't get to the gym. I would appreciate any advise on what to purchase. Thanx

Replies

• pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I would research it on the web. I would think the bike burns more but not sure. :smile:
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Treadmill.

You can burn more calories IMHO, that is how I have always dropped my weight.

And, unless you have a HRM you aren't really going to know for sure how much calories you burned. It is predominately dependent on weight and height.

Like, me being 5'10, 172 naturally going to burn more calories than someone who is shorter and weighs less.

With the treadmill you can jog, if you get one with incline, up the resistance of your walks and get to the point of running. Or do both. Walk, then sprint, then jog, then walk again just way more opportunities to burn calories IMHO.
  • xbellezx
    xbellezx Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This is me personally and I think it all depends on how you use each piece of equipment but I find I burn more calories on the spin bike only because I enjoy it more then the treadmill and therefore push myself more, however it hurts my butt :)

If I was to buy one piece of equipment though I would definitely pick the treadmill over the bike.... Though maybe get what you think you would enjoy and use most.

I am not any use. Sorry.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    This is me personally and I think it all depends on how you use each piece of equipment but I find I burn more calories on the spin bike only because I enjoy it more then the treadmill and therefore push myself more, however it hurts my butt :)

If I was to buy one piece of equipment though I would definitely pick the treadmill over the bike.... Though maybe get what you think you would enjoy and use most.

I am not any use. Sorry.

No that makes sense. It definitely depends on what you prefer doing. If a person love spinning and then maybe that would be ideal. It totally makes sense and your comment definitely helps her. :flowerforyou:
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Ooops, wrong forum. Sorry. Carry on :-)
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    This may be a stupid question but according to the machines and MFP the stationary bike (even on light effort) burns far more calories than a brisk walk on the treadmill can this be so? The treadmill certainly feels like harder work.

Found a good article for you: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/exercise/which-exercise-machine-burns-the-most-calories
  • nuthar
    nuthar Posts: 1
    Options
    Bikes are better on your knees than Treadmills. But go with what you would use more.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Depends on what resistance setting you are using. I can double my calorie burn on the same piece of equipment by increasing the resistance.
  • abbyoncloud9
    abbyoncloud9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    In the long run the only thing that matters is how consistent you will be. What do you prefer to do? Get that machine.
  • bridgieNZ
    bridgieNZ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the great advise, quite a few things I hadn't considered. This has been very helpful
  • bridgieNZ
    bridgieNZ Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Found a good article for you: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/exercise/which-exercise-machine-burns-the-most-calories

Oh my god I now love this site thanks so much for the suggestion ❤