How many jumping jacks can you do?

Options
My employer implemented a program several months ago to encourage a more healthy lifestyle. You earn points for various things and once you've accumulated so many points you can trade them in for prizes--one of them being $400 cash. [Thanks to MFP I cashed in the allotted number of points last week so now I have some extra money for Christmas! Woo hoo!]
Every so often they have a challenge where you earn points just for participating; the winning team earns extra points. This month's challenge is doing jumping jacks. You have to have a team of 5 people, come up with a team name, elect a team captain, and report each week how many jumping jacks everyone did [honor system].
I usually particpate with the same 5 people and since I did such a good job last challenge I was elected again. :tongue: I asked each of my team members to do 100 jumping jacks a day. I figured we're all awake a least 10 hours a day and every hour we should be able to do 10 jumping jacks.
The challenge doesn't start until Nov 29th but I decided to practice and see just how many jumping jacks I could do before I just couldn't do any more. I managed to make it to 40. Although I was out of breath I was proud of myself because a few months ago I could only do about 5 at a time. Now I'm thinking that 10 jumping jacks at a time is a really low goal.
How many jumping jacks can you do? What do you think is a reasonable goal I should motivate my team to accomplish each day/week?

Replies

• kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how many I could do but that is really irrelevant. What is really relevant is who is your employer and where do I send my resume? >_<
  • TaraDenise
    TaraDenise Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I would love to implement something like that in my workplace. Now I have to get up and do jumping jacks to see how many i can do. brb
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    i usually do mine by minutes and i do usually 1-2 minutes which ranges between 60-100 jumping jacks
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how many I could do but that is really irrelevant. What is really relevant is who is your employer and where do I send my resume? >_<

I'm with you on that one!
    Awesome employer and awesome employees to take part in the challenges!!

I think your goals are very reasonable for your team.
    Maybe you can up the steaks a little (15/hour, or even better, say 10-15 per commercial break during an hour Tv broadcast or episode), but you know your team best!
  • biguglymouth76
    Options
    260...the highest I remember us getting to doing 4 count side straddle hops while in Marine boot camp was 130 which come out to 260 in normal people counting
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    None.:frown: Bum arch in my foot from an accident but it's getting better. I can kick butt on minutes on the elliptical though!
  • jodygirl777
    Options
    Haha! This is awesome! I HAD to get up and try it out. I SHOULD have pushed for more...but my legs started to complain right around 75!

Good Luck!
  • jrsmithne
    Options
    I think you should up the count to perhaps 25 every hour. This is a great idea, I love it that your employer is doing this!
  • TaraDenise
    Options
    I almost forgot to come back! I was 10 mins into my zumba dvd before I remembered. I tried to rest for a couple minutes before starting the jumping jacks. I was only able to do 30. I'll try again later....or tomorrow....BEFORE starting my workout dvd.
  • TaraDenise
    Options
    Besides the above....I forgot I'd changed into my workout bra, which doesn't have enough support to being jumping around. It was mostly the breast pains that caused me to stop at 30. I almost put an eye out.:noway:
  • Wildflower25
    Options
    Besides the above....I forgot I'd changed into my workout bra, which doesn't have enough support to being jumping around. It was mostly the breast pains that caused me to stop at 30. I almost put an eye out.:noway:

All I've got to say is 'word' to the whole post. :wink:

Anyhow, I saw this yesterday and I decided to test myself this morning. I haven't done jumping jacks since high school, and that was seven years ago. I asked my sister how many she though I could do.

"26," was her reply. Then I asked my mother.

"30...unless a boob hits you in the eye and you knock yourself out". :laugh: I luv my momma. I should have heeded her words and put on my good workout bra. I could have made it so much further, but I didn't have the proper support. I also did the jumping jacks without any shoes on. To prepare myself, I turned on my Fatboy Slim radio station on Pandora. A song called "Yamama" played. It was a nice uptempo song that kept me going. Here's how it went:

My feet started to hurt a little around 30

I started to really feel it around 60***

I started to feel like quitting around 85

I pushed myself to make it to 100

I quit around 110.

So OP, 110 is my number.

I know I could have went so much further if I had on some shoes and a good bra. The only reason why I really quit is because I was concerned that I might be harming my feet.

***I got kind of happy when I started to feel it because I could feel the burn in my in inner thighs and calves (inner thigh being a problem area). It's official. I am doing jumping jacks every single day I workout.

That was kind of fun OP. :flowerforyou:
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    The first night of taking taewkondo (years ago) I didn't know we'd be expected to do jumping jacks. Being a woman of a certain age, and not having done jumping jacks in many years, I didn't expect there'd be "leakage". So be warned, ladies, that it's possible on those landings with your legs apart you may lose a few drops. It was embarassing and it taught me to wear a pad when I was there for class.

I was able to do 50 easily, and think I could do many more if I had to. I'll have to try it out.
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I was curious. I did 100. Might have done more, but those were the first in 5 years. Will work on increasing.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    So far, I'm at 100 before I feel like passing out. :laugh:
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's posts. And I'm sorry some of you had a few mishaps when you tried to see how many jumping jacks you could do; although you did make me laugh.
    When I go to work on Monday I'm going to encourage my team to start practicing and do 100 per day. Then up the goal when the actual challenge starts the following week.
  • tauns
    tauns Posts: 29
    Options
    That is awesome that you work does this fitness challenge! I can do 100 at one time in about 2 minutes. It works ya. I want to get to be able to do 200 at one time without stopping but I KNOW that will take working up to cause at 100 I am ready to be done.

I know this is a late post. How did it go? What did you find you were able to do as a group for jumping jacks?