how late to eat?

Options
A lot of people tell me that it's not good to eat after 6pm. Is there any truth to this? I could Google it but I'd rather ask my new fitness family. Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• chocorunner122
    Options
    No its a myth that eating late will make you fat. It doesn't matter what time you eat, your body doesn't know what time it is so it processes food the same way as it does through out the day! I usually eat dinner around 7:30pm so you are fine!
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    NOPE!!! I ate at 9pm the other night and still was perfectly fine. Been maintaining for over 6 months no problems and I eat a protein bar as a snack every night at about 9pm.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I dont think it matters when you eat as long as its within your calories for the day :) never effected me!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    http://www.nadasitaly.com/EatinginItaly.htm

i googled 'how italians eat'
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time you eat for weight loss terms.

If you have GERD (acid reflux), its not a good idea to eat right before you go to bed because the acids can get into your esophagus as you lay down after eating. Thats the only real reason I can think of though not to eat late.
  • fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    Options
    i usually eat all my calories after 7pm while dieting. serious.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Every time I hear someone recommend the "no eating after ____ pm or you won't lose weight," I'm left wondering if they are just completely oblivious to the fact that some people work third shift.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't matter as long as your within your calorie goals.
    But sometimes certain foods will prevent sleeping (spicy, heavy carbs, etc), or some people have medical problems.

I find that I like eating 7-8pm because then I'm not looking for some calorie-dense snack before bedtime. And if I eat earlier I try to eat something healthy with some protein and complex carbs before going to bed.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    No problem...if its too late where you are, just drive to another time zone.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    No truth whatsoever... Meal frequency has no bearing, just eat when it is convenient and fits your schedule. Just make sure your hitting your daily goals.... Best of Luck
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I usually eat dessert around 11 pm... and I rarely have dinner before 7 pm.

I think the idea is to avoid nighttime binge-snacking, which is a problem for many people who want to lose weight. To combat post-dinner snacking, I actually tend to eat dinner a bit late, and then I leave myself enough calories for a filling dessert.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Just don't weigh yourself if you're an early riser because your dinner will still be all there! Other than that, eat at whatever time you want.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    This should help answer a lot of other questions as well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

Cheers!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's a total myth. Personally, I eat until the calories run out.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Personally, dinner is my last meal, between 6-6:30pm. It makes my day "final" and does keep me from going over my calories. It also means I'm actually hungry I'm the am, eat a big breakfast and as a result, have the energy to deal with kids, house, and work out too.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    No problem...if its too late where you are, just drive to another time zone.

:laugh:
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    A lot of people tell me that it's not good to eat after 6pm. Is there any truth to this?

Yes... if you go to bed at 5:30. I hate waking up with crumbs in my bed.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    meal timing and metabolism is a myth ..eat when you want, whenever you want, just stay in a calorie deficit and you will lose...
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    A doctor once told me to lose weight I must not eat dinner past 7:00 but if I do, eat a banana. B¡tch! :noway:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    A doctor once told me to lose weight I must not eat dinner past 7:00 but if I do, eat a banana. B¡tch! :noway:

I hope you found a new dr...