whole wheat bread

Options
Can someone please recommend a whole wheat bread that is:
1) NOT made with tons of honey in it--I HATE sweet wheat bread!
and
2.) low in calories?
I was eating Sara Lee 45 Calories and Delightful wheat bread until I realized that it has HFCS (seriously?!) in it and also doesn't have much wheat in it all.
I want a nutritious, hearty, 100% whole-wheat bread with no honey and lots of fiber that also tastes good and isn't like 150 calories or more per slice. Does this exist?

Replies

• elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Do you have a trader joe's? They have quite a few that are tasty.
    I like the brownberry breads - i don't know about the sugar content, but they are 3-4 with whole wheat and a lot of fiber that aren't too sweet in my opnion
  • Manda1987
    Options
    My favourite bread, if you don't mind the crunchiness of it, is Dempster's Ancient Grains. It's 120 cals per slice, but it's got tons of yummy stuff in it. I'm a big fan of the quinoa... gives it a great texture. No honey!

It has 3g of fibre and 5 g of protein per slice, and lots of minerals.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I'm not positive on this but I think Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat bread. One slice has 50 calories, 2g of fiber (not a huge amount but it's something) 1g of fat, 1g of sugar (the sugar is brown sugar), 4g of protein and no HCFS. Check out their website (naturesownbread.com)

You can also check out Roman Breads. The slices are larger but they have many different varieties

One other thing: I think you stole my kitty! I have a 7 month old and she looks just like that!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I currently (because it was on sale! :)) eat Arnold. There are several types all 110 or lower per slice (large slices too) but I got the Heart Healthy one because it was 80 per. it does have molasses listed as a later ingredient, but i have had honey wheat and would not consider this sweet. I dont know if all their wheat has it or not, but I think it's really good, great texture, big piece, and only 80 cals.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have a super hard time liking whole wheat bread. Some good suggestions for that too would be awesome.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I have a super hard time liking whole wheat bread. Some good suggestions for that too would be awesome.

There are several white whole wheat breads now. Every so often if budget allows I sneak them in on my hubby who hates wheat bread with a passion. I'm sure it's not as good for you as the real thing (just off the top of my head looking at it, it seems it has to be more processed and less natural fiber), but it's a step!
  • dreamweaver47
    dreamweaver47 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    natures own whole wheat 35 cal per slice, It taste like white bread
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options

There are several white whole wheat breads now. Every so often if budget allows I sneak them in on my hubby who hates wheat bread with a passion. I'm sure it's not as good for you as the real thing (just off the top of my head looking at it, it seems it has to be more processed and less natural fiber), but it's a step!

Probably not really more processed. "White" whole wheat is simply made from a different type of wheat than the traditional whole wheat we're used to. It's a white/gold wheat berry instead of a red one, so the kernel is lighter. As long as it says its whole wheat, it's still a whole grain product.

We eat New England Brown Bread typically. I can't remember exactly what all it has in it, but I believe I found it less egregious than other things. The slices are relatively small, which I like too--90 cals per slice. Plus it's dairy free, which is good in our house. New England brand also makes a whole wheat bread, but I don't like it as much.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    I really like the Nature's Own Double fiber wheat bread. 50 cal per slice, not sure about the other values. It is made with brown sugar so don't know if it would be too sweet for you.
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    We get our bread at a local bakery that uses all natural ingredients and no sugar. It's worth the extra cost.
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you suggestions. I am a little disappointed, as my Sara Lee bread has 45 cals but 5 grams of fiber, while these others seem to have much more calories and less fiber! :( I guess it looks like my best bet is the 35 cal nature's own even though it only has 2 grams of fiber per slice and isn't whole wheat...
  • mrayniak
    Options
    I just found Ezekiel bread - found in the refrigerated section in some stores or at a health food store - only 80 cals a slice and all natural - good for clean eating - and very filling!
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    We have an awesome local bakery that has a tasty wheat bread. I would see if there's a local bakery near you that makes one that you like.
  • STR0NGisSEXY
    STR0NGisSEXY Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Healthy Life has some!
    They have super low cal ones (that have less fiber) and then a little more calorie ones that are high in fiber. Check it out.
    http://www.healthylifebread.com/
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    You could try finding a recipe and making your own bread. I was doing that for awhile, but I got lazy and busy.