UK users: NHS C25K challenge

Options
There are lots of Couch to 5k plans oyt there. I was thinking of doing this one, beginning March 1, join me!

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/get-running-with-couch-to-5k.aspx

Replies

• Be11adonna
    Be11adonna Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on deciding to take up this plan! I am a graduate of the NHS C25K, and currently signed up for my first 10K in March and Half Marathon in October. The program really works, and the community is the very supportive. Good luck.
  • Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've tried several C25k programmes but the NHS one was the only one I completed and enjoyed, I liked the way its structured as its not just a matter of running a bit further and bit longer each week and its very supportive both on the audio and the community on healthunlocked (definitely join that as well!). I hope it works for you too!

I started it January last year and in September I was running 5k's in under half an hour and had built my mileage up to 4-4.5miles at a time. I'm now redoing it (starting half-way in though) as I had an injury which stopped me running for several months. The music is not the greatest but it does help me pace myself.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I use the NHS one too. Or rather, I will once the route I use is no longer under a couple of feet of water.

The continued flooding is starting to irritate me now. And it is raining heavily again!
  • Karen_LM
    Karen_LM Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Correction: february 1, not March 1.

I have some plans in early March that will interfere, the part of my brain that doesnt like exercising was distracting me when i was typing. Shut up brain!

Thanks for the encouragement., guys. I know i CAN run, i sometimes dash and sprint to not be late for things. But fitness-wise, i cant seem to make myself go faster than a brisk walk. I am too worried about looking silly, or looking like i shouldnt be doing this, or that i wont make it to the end of the program, or any other excuse. This isnt middle-school gym class, there are no grades, i cant fail. There may or may not be observers being critical, who cares?

Stefjc: i certainly hope you dry out down there. Horrible situation!
  • llin_griff77
    Options
    I'm in :smile:
  • davidsonl13
    Options
    Good luck! I completed this yesterday and am now going to move onto the 5 -10k program starting tomorrow!
  • rslcarson
    rslcarson Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Correction: february 1, not March 1.

I have some plans in early March that will interfere, the part of my brain that doesnt like exercising was distracting me when i was typing. Shut up brain!

Thanks for the encouragement., guys. I know i CAN run, i sometimes dash and sprint to not be late for things. But fitness-wise, i cant seem to make myself go faster than a brisk walk. I am too worried about looking silly, or looking like i shouldnt be doing this, or that i wont make it to the end of the program, or any other excuse. This isnt middle-school gym class, there are no grades, i cant fail. There may or may not be observers being critical, who cares?

Stefjc: i certainly hope you dry out down there. Horrible situation!

lol on your running analogy, I'm similar just started two weeks ago and trying to build it up. I can't go very far (1.5 miles) at the mo but I might give this a go. It's a good time now though in the winter if you're out in the evening it's still dark!
  • davidsonl13
    Options

I start my runs at 5am - still dark and the chances of people or even cars being around are minimal!
  • mrsward2010
    mrsward2010 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys my aim was to run a 5k. i looked at this but as my phone is proper pants i just kinda did my own thing lol. i started running on treadmill in november struggling at 10mins. i gradually built up till i was 50mins on treadmill and got to 4.7k. Since then i started doing a local park run which i have done twice and now i aim to run at least twice a week. My first parkrun was in a time of 41 min 47sec and my second one i managed a new personal best of 37 min and 15 seconds. have a look on here to see if there is a local park run to you. its free to run and gives you something to aim towards. when i started it it was just to get round in one piece lol!

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/
  • Sabby888
    Sabby888 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've started the C25K program from the Zen Labs app - it's really good as it lets you play your own music in the background as the stopwatch is ticking. When the lady tells you to run/walk, the music slows down and you know when to switch - For anyone who finds the NHS podcasts annoying, you might try the app and it would suit you better!!

I'm on Week 4 and loving it by the way
  • samanthagreen3
    samanthagreen3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • mema_king
    mema_king Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi, today I started level 3 of C25K. I'm really enjoying the programme and the structure it is giving me. I am not a runner and in the past have allways given it a miss mainly cos of the looking silly and as I have big boobs the jiggling bothered me. However, I'm hoping this programme will help me feel like I know what i'm doing.
  • jeanmoreno
    jeanmoreno Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Ive completed the NHS C25k challenge last spring ,and found it very efficient ! I did it on a treadmill indoors and this was relatively easy ,but I would recommend to do it outdoors as Its a lot of different and harder,even if you have the incline on 2 on treadmill !
    I ran few 10 k on treadmill and 10k mud run and after a break of few month ,find hard to complete 2 k outside ,but working on it
    So yes ,definitely worth to do it but to avoid boredom and start on better bases ,outside is better !
    ;-) enjoy !
  • ChristyJade
    ChristyJade Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I need to do this as I have signed up for a 5k run, its not until May though. The people I am running with are all really good runners, and i dont run AT ALL. So need to get training.....
  • Karen_LM
    Options
    I learned about parkrun this week. And today i learned about a related program, jogscotland

http://www.jogscotland.org.uk/local-groups

i found many organized runs besides the one listed on the parkrun website, including some on my side of town, when i am ready for that.
  • Karen_LM
    Options
    I need to do this as I have signed up for a 5k run, its not until May though. The people I am running with are all really good runners, and i dont run AT ALL. So need to get training.....

Come along then!
  • Karen_LM
    Options
    Week1 run 1 done