Spin Class

Options
I tried a spin class for the first time today. I was able to keep up for the most part, although i wasn't sure what all the 65% 80% ect really meant. I just had a dial in front of me that tightened or loosened the resistance. I just guessed at what level i was at. Had a hard time doing the stand up and sit down part, so i just stayed seated for the most part.

I woke up today and OMG my butt hurts soooooo bad!! I didn't realize how much pain a bike seat could cause!! How long does it usually take to 'get use to' the seat to were my butt doesn't hurt to sit down afterwards? I want to do more classes, but right now it hurts too much to even attempt! haha

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You adapt to the seat very rapidly so I wouldn't worry about it. Plus as you get better you'll spend more time off the seat anyway.

My guess is that the % stuff was referring to your RPE, which is a way the gauge your perceived effort. You'll turn the knob till you feel that you're at X percent of what you could do.
  • katsaysmeow241515
    Options
    I'v never taken a spin class, but I do hard cardio biking in the summer and I know exactly how it feels. For me it takes about 4 days of consistent biking to get used to it, but its its to soar, take a day or two in-between each class. Honestly if you even do it twice a week, you'll get used to it. Its different I find for everyone!
  • JJinGermany
    JJinGermany Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Invest in a good pair of bike pants! They do help. It will take at least 4-5 classes before you notice that the pain is gone. However, if you skip classes to avoid the pain...you will never get used to it. SOOOO - keep going! And if you aren't sweating and struggling while spinning, you don't have the knob turned high enough.:bigsmile:
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    This is where I get my cycle shorts:

http://www.aerotechdesigns.com

You will love them and love the ride. Welcome to Spin!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Percentages of HRmax (maximum heart rate), if the machines are constantly recording pulse or you see people looking at wrist worn HRM's
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    You adapt to the seat very rapidly so I wouldn't worry about it. Plus as you get better you'll spend more time off the seat anyway.

My guess is that the % stuff was referring to your RPE, which is a way the gauge your perceived effort. You'll turn the knob till you feel that you're at X percent of what you could do.

this
  • padisneyfour
    Options
    I tried a spin class for the first time today. I was able to keep up for the most part, although i wasn't sure what all the 65% 80% ect really meant. I just had a dial in front of me that tightened or loosened the resistance. I just guessed at what level i was at. Had a hard time doing the stand up and sit down part, so i just stayed seated for the most part.

I woke up today and OMG my butt hurts soooooo bad!! I didn't realize how much pain a bike seat could cause!! How long does it usually take to 'get use to' the seat to were my butt doesn't hurt to sit down afterwards? I want to do more classes, but right now it hurts too much to even attempt! haha

It takes a bit to adjust to the sea(someone said a about a month-I never had much of a problem after the first couple times)t but you will but like someone else said if you dont go its actually it will take longer/harder once you go again. i took my first spin classes in the fall and loved it!