What to do when your ill?

Options
Hiya I've lost some weight on my own as well as here but it's my first time feeling ill. I have a cold and feel faint but really want to stay on track yesterday I had some comfort food sausage casserole lol and am dragging myself to squash later but taking it easy.
What do you all do when your ill, do you stick to the diet and fitness plan you have set for ourself or give it a break?

Replies

• Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I generally give myself a break. Especially if feeling weak and dizzy. My body needs rest to heal, so I let it. Also, I lift heavy things and I feel like it's dangerous if I'm feeling lightheaded.

Seems like a large percentage of this site say to do it anyway. I've never taken that advice.
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    The past two days I have been vomiting.. a lot. On Friday I wasn't even keeping liquids down let alone food, and I slept for about 15 hours just to avoid being sick. Did I exercise? Heck no. Yesterday it was only after I drank a pint of milkshake and ate some toast that I stopped vomiting, even then I felt dizzy as heck still. Did I care about exercising? Of course not, I barely managed 1100cal anyway and the day before I had eaten nothing. Today I am thankfully a lot better, I'm not nauseous any more but my throat hurts a lot and I am incredibly tired even after 11 hrs sleep. I will not be exercising because it's just going to make it worse, most I'll do is maybe go for a light walk as fresh air clears my headache a bit.

If you feel faint, exercising, especially something aggressive like squash, is not going to help. Take it easy.
  • darvin1023
    darvin1023 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    if you're ill, shouldn't you focus more on what NUTRITION you can give to your body to help yourself get better first?
  • Reagan89
    Reagan89 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I work with kids so catch a lot of bugs during the year this isn't major. I think because I've lost a bit more than I was expecting in the time I've been doing this I want to keep it up but I guess I will slow it down and have a day off the diet I play squash with the better half so no biggie if we take it slow today.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    sleep, water, vitamins and no training

prescription if necessary

eat the same if i can.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I usually don't exercise when I have the stomach bug & try to rest as much as possible. I still log my calories that I eat since I figure some of them had to nourish my body somehow.
  • LaurenPell123
    LaurenPell123 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If I'm really ill I just sleep, if i'm a just a bit off i go for a nice easy walk and figure my body just needs a day off :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends how sick. I never really do exhausting workouts so it's not really an issue here. I can still go for a walk with a cold.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    When I'm ill I almost always lose my appetite or may have difficulty eating so calorie restriction is a moot issue. I don't exercise. When I start to feel better I listen to my body and just ease back into it. First workout back from illness is often a pretty light one and I take it from there.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Taking a few days off isn't going to hurt anything. Eat at maintenance and such. Your body needs nutrition to cope.