Exercise and pain

Options
Hi there.

So I have been diagnosed with a pinched sciatic nerve - and I am only 21! So needless to say, I am in a lot of weight. I know next to nothing about exercise, but it's hard to learn in so much pain! I end up gasping in pain just trying to make my bed.

I have access to a gym with school, but what light exercises can I be doing to help lose weight? Anything that involves bending over or stretching my legs is a definite no right now. Will I lose weight with simple cardio machines? I am new to the gym, so I have a lot to do. I am unable to do a lot of the strength training right now.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Walking
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight simply by creating a calorie deficit. Losing weight is 80-90% determined by what/how much you eat.

A physical therapist can work with you to help you build strength and flexibility and reduce pain. Ask your doctor for a referral.

Good luck!
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Weight can be lost with a calorific deficit and no exercise if need be although walking is a great suggestion as well

Just wondering whether a treatment has been recommended/arranged following you diagnosis?
  • paigealexandra93
    paigealexandra93 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well the only thing that can help is physio therapy - which is not covered under my drug plan. It well get better over time, it just might take several months.
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    I suffer with bad leg and lower back pain, and I try to exercise every day even when I am in pain, I do slow walking and slow steps on the wii fit, even if it is just for 10 minutes.

I have heard that swimming is good for back pain, you could try this?

Hope you feel better soon.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    as others said you only need to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight, exercise just helps speed up the process and changes the body structure plus makes you fitter, any movement is technically exercise whether its just moving about the house or going for a marathon..

I too have suffered from the same ailments plus i've had bersitis (nodules on the joints) in both hips for about 6 years now that will never go away and flares up periodically and when it does i cant walk without searing pain running through my legs almost making it impossible to walk thank god for Cortezone injections every couple of years or i'd be a cripple lol, i also have genetically weak wrists, knees and ankles that give out randomly similar to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, sometimes you just have to push through the pain but in your case don't push it or you'll just make it worse just do some light walking and swing your arms if possible. But above all seek assistance from a physio, eat well and drink the standard 8-12x250ml equivalents of water or similar a day whether you are thirsty or not which will help speed up the repair process. a doctor may be able to provide some pain relief too.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender has a page on exercise for sciatic sufferers. Also with videos and examples.

http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/article-detail/How-to-Workout-with-Sciatica-Ideal-Sciatica-Workouts/ap/
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Eat at a calorie deficit and maybe try walking? There are also some awesome stretches (google them) that you can try.... I couldn't afford physio so had to sort it out on my own. Good luck :)
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I suffer with bad leg and lower back pain, and I try to exercise every day even when I am in pain, I do slow walking and slow steps on the wii fit, even if it is just for 10 minutes.

Swimming is meant to be optimal for anyone who suffers from any sort of body structure issues as it's very low impact, good call, didn't think of that :)
  • passionforprims
    Options
    I have issues in my back and neck and no medicines used in my treatment .The right kind of exercise will help with this issue.Therapy will help with the pinched nerve .If your not covered with your insurance for therapy there is other alternatives.Google is a world of its own with so much knowledge to gain and I do think you can find the right exercise therapy that will help you for free if you will search. I exercise 5 days a week and feel a lot better and have more energy .There is no excuse! It starts with you! Go to the gym and do what u can. I am sure there is trainers there that will help you....You have to start somewhere.
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    As others have said -swimming or aerobic water classes. You may not be able to do everything the instructor does, but you can modify and do something. It is also worth noting that in the water, with no joint pressure, for a time you may be totally out of pain. I too often pinch that nerve, and I do stretches utilizing a stability ball. Because I am also arthritic and can't get down on the floor, I do these right on the bed and they have helped to the point I am no longer in pain.
  • enlighted09
    enlighted09 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

[/quote

I have had two back fusions and I'm still in pain and also have a bad leg. May I also mention I started at 380 lbs. Yes it hurts like %^&^. but push through it. Do some exercise in the chair? I started out exercising just for 5 minutes and build from their. Like the others said watch your calories. I will take time but you will see results. Hang in there. :flowerforyou:

25919074.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Stretch and walk. To lose weight, eat at a caloric deficit.
  • kittymoney
    kittymoney Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    stretching, walking, and biking. i hurt both of mine the past 2 years and that is what i did. if you can go see a physical therapist go, that help get me line up and the massages helped reduced the inflammation so i can low key it and just like you said get into bed is a chore.