Vitamin's???

Options
Hi! I've been noticing on my food diary that my daily vitamin intake percentages are low. Especially Vitamin A and Iron. How can I get all my recommended vitamins without using supplements preferably. I am lactose intolerant and am 100 percent dairy free. I don't necessarily mind having to take a supplement but wondered if I could eat or drink more of ______ to get my recommended amount. Any advice is much appreciated!

MrsVW

Replies

• leaner426
    Options
    Spinach salads help with iron, I think carrots and sweet potatos have vitamin A (you can cook the potato in the microwave - great alone or with a little cinnamon sprinked on it.) I can't seem to get enough from what I eat so I take a supplement.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I eat vitacakes, they're in the frozen food section. They aren't cheap though, honestly I think it's easier to take a multivitamin regularly.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Vitamin A = carrots, broccoli, cantaloupe, squash.

Iron = Meat (red meat especially), clams, oysters, beans / chickpeas / lentils, tofu, squash/pumpkin seeds, broccoli.

Lots of other stuff too, of course, but those are some of the more nutrient-dense options. In general, iron from meats will be more readily absorbed, but there're lots of non-meat choices. :)
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is a great way to hit your calcium goal, if that's a problem. I like it in coffee, cereal, oatmeal.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    For vitamin A, it only takes a few carrots, or one 8 oz serving of carrot juice to meet your goals. For iron, I'm vegan so I eat Simple Truth meatless griller strips (looks like grilled chicked strips) and get 50% in one serving. I also drink Bolthouse Farms drinks, carrot and Daily Greens. the Daily Greens, 8 oz, is another 50% of iron. I snack on flaxseed which is 12% iron, and then pick up a little here and there. The Bolthouse Farms 100% carrot juice is going to put you well over the 400% daily value range for vitamin A. You really just need a few sips.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Spinach is good for iron, as well as red meat and broccoli. A lot of times though in the database when creating foods people save time by not including the vitamins in there, and just putting the bare amount of information for their macros, so you're actually probably getting more vitamins than you think.
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Our diet and lifestyle has changed so much that a simple multivitamin once a day has become a necessity
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I recently found out that I have a very high deficiency in Iron.. and since then, I take a multi vitamin, iron, bioten, and omega 3 pill every day.
  • CupcakeGangsta
    CupcakeGangsta Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will try these ideas!!