My mom needs help, any tips?

Options
Okay here is the thing, my mom is trying to lose weight but shes doing it the wrong way. She won't believe me when I tell her tips.

So basically what shes doing is eating ONE MEAL A DAY and the meal isn't that big. I told her she needs to go on a deficient and shouldn't deprive herself of food. Shes suppose to eat 1500 calories a day on a deficient and yet she says "that's to much" and then I told her about eating under 1200 cal is bad She thinks anything over 1000 calories is to much and it'll make her fat.

Can you guys kinda scare her into eating correctly or convince her.

INFO:
Weight: 130lbs
Height: 5'2
Exercise: Everyday Cardio 30-45 min a day

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm you mom's age & size, and I maintain at 1,400 calories.

With such a small amount to lose, she needs to set her goal at .5 lb. That's approximately 1,250 calories if she's sedentary. Then she needs to log her exercise & eat back at least half her exercise calories. (Her deficit is built in to her calorie goal.)

Read this, then tell your mom to read it, too: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • ntinney6228
    Options
    Eating only one meal a day will trick your body into thinking that it is starving and throw it into fat storing mode no matter what shes eating. 3 meals a day with snacks in between is how you raise metabolism and keep your body in fat burning mode. Small meals is key and clean eating is a must. Remember, most fruits are very sweet and causes insulin spikes so be careful on how much to intake. Keep meals well balanced. Eat smart carbs and eat them with protien!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    We can't convince your mom that her "diet" is dangerous......but I'm sure her doctor could.
  • Ashley_Lea1995
    Options
    We can't convince your mom that her "diet" is dangerous......but I'm sure her doctor could.
    True, shes stubborn and won't even ask a doctor. She told me to post and see if people agree with her or give tips etc..
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Eating only one meal a day will trick your body into thinking that it is starving and throw it into fat storing mode no matter what shes eating. 3 meals a day with snacks in between is how you raise metabolism and keep your body in fat burning mode. Small meals is key and clean eating is a must. Remember, most fruits are very sweet and causes insulin spikes so be careful on how much to intake. Keep meals well balanced. Eat smart carbs and eat them with protien!

So much bad information in so few words. It must be a gift!

OP - let your mom learn from your example. She sounds too stubborn to listen to good advice. What she is doing isn't exactly the best way to go about it, but it isn't going to hurt her either.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    She really needs to talk to a professional. Most of us are not qualified to give her advice. There may be some here that are qualified, but she needs to speak with her health care professional that knows her medical history and personal situation.
    Try to convince her that generally speaking, the way she is eating is not healthy and most likely not sustainable. Convince her to see a professional to seek advice.

I
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options

Well this is all wrong...100% of it...
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Wow! I felt like I traveled back to the 1980s with all of these myths.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Eating only one meal per day will open the gates of hell and release millions of demons into the world. I am also 100% certain that it will cause her to have chronic painful rectal itch. It's science.

What? You said to scare her.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Lol so much no.

OP, bring your mom to a registered dietician. Not a nutritionist.

And to the lady who said she was your moms height and such, She meand well but very well may have a different amount of muscle mass than your mother so the amount of calories she eats vs your mom to be successful is probably different
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I never told her mum to eat what I eat. I told her to eat whatever MFP tells her to eat—which is more than 1,000 calories per day, but less than what OP wants her mum to eat.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Okay here is the thing, my mom is trying to lose weight but shes doing it the wrong way. She won't believe me when I tell her tips.

So basically what shes doing is eating ONE MEAL A DAY and the meal isn't that big. I told her she needs to go on a deficient and shouldn't deprive herself of food. Shes suppose to eat 1500 calories a day on a deficient and yet she says "that's to much" and then I told her about eating under 1200 cal is bad She thinks anything over 1000 calories is to much and it'll make her fat.

INFO:

I dont know why your mom still needs to lose weight.
    her weight at 130, height 5'2'' is within the normal healthy range.

you are correct. she does need to eat at least 1500ish calories with all that workout.

her BMR is: 1184 - she shouldnt eat less than this

her TDEE is: 1939 - she can eat as much as this
  • Ashley_Lea1995
    Options

INFO:

I dont know why your mom still needs to lose weight.
    her weight at 130, height 5'2'' is within the normal healthy range.

you are correct. she does need to eat at least 1500ish calories with all that workout.

her BMR is: 1184 - she shouldnt eat less than this

her TDEE is: 1939 - she can eat as much as this

She just says she wants to get rid the fat and replace it with muscles. And at the same time lose weight (she used to weigh 116lbs 2 years back)
  • Ashley_Lea1995
    Options
    Thank you guys for the tips and scares. I'll try to convince her to go see a registered dietitian or doctor.
  • TheMaryAnn
    Options
    I know how that feels... it's very hard to help family. For some reason they seem to have a hard time taking advice from the people closest to them :(
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your Mom may be interested in body recomposition? I'm not a lifter but it seems that's the route she may need to go, which could also possibly mean eating in a caloric surplus to build muscle.