Chubby Dudes who treadmill/Fitness Gurus: HELP?!

Options
MadTownD
MadTownD Posts: 149 Member
So, I have started doing 30 minutes on the treadmill five times a week and have worked up to 3.0 MPH from 1.5 MPH. My question is this... I have to hang on to the rails, even just barely, to feel as though I'm not going to fall. Now, I'm to a point where I do let go for a minute here and there, trying to get some movement in my arms, but is this something I should be working towards? Will it get better as I lose more weight and feel more sure on my feet?

Secondly, what posture is the best? I generally, because of my girth, have never had the best posture... sort of slumped forward a bit. But, when I'm on the treadmill, I'm assuming it's best to try and stand up as straight as possible... almost leaning back a bit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(I should note that this is in my apartment complex's exercise room, alone... so there's no staff to ask like at a gym.)

Replies

• Twentynineyears
    Twentynineyears Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Dude, I feel you bro.
    I'm short and fat. My little legs have an issue maintaining speed.

30 minutes at 3MPH is awesome and yeah eventually you might work up to that so it's less of a struggle for you but why struggle now?

I scrapped speed (for the most part) instead of 3.3MPH for 20-30 minutes I do 2.3-2.9 for 60 minutes while doing variable inclines. Most treadmills are equipped to do inclines, what you lose in calorie burn from speed and distance you can pick up on inclines and then some.

I was being winded, pains in my sides and legs from trying to go too fast. I couldn't do a full workout where I felt like I actually succeeded in something besides me hating the treadmill and myself.

I'm not able to do 60 minutes of quick paced times but with inclines and a slower pace I am burning more calories. I weigh 291 and in a 60 minute session yesterday I burned over 700 calories.

Hope this helps!
  • MadTownD
    Options
    Dude, I feel you bro.
    I'm short and fat. My little legs have an issue maintaining speed.

30 minutes at 3MPH is awesome and yeah eventually you might work up to that so it's less of a struggle for you but why struggle now?

I scrapped speed (for the most part) instead of 3.3MPH for 20-30 minutes I do 2.3-2.9 for 60 minutes while doing variable inclines. Most treadmills are equipped to do inclines, what you lose in calorie burn from speed and distance you can pick up on inclines and then some.

I was being winded, pains in my sides and legs from trying to go too fast. I couldn't do a full workout where I felt like I actually succeeded in something besides me hating the treadmill and myself.

I'm not able to do 60 minutes of slower times but with inclines I am burning more calories. I weigh 291 and in a 60 minute session yesterday I burned over 700 calories.

Hope this helps!

Good info. I haven't started the inclining yet... but hope to get there soon. I am really tall and have long legs, so I don't know if the 3.0 MPH is a problem. I don't think I could do sixty minutes yet, though.
  • Twentynineyears
    Twentynineyears Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Try this the next time you are on the treadmill.
    Start at 2MPH at a 1% incline. Every 30 seconds bump up the incline by 0.5% after 6 minutes bring it back down to 1% again but bump up your speed to 2.1MPH do this ever 6 minutes and see how you feel by the time you hit 30. You may not be winded or having a hard time holding on.

Just try it out. If you can't do it then we can figure out something that might help you. But holding on to dear life for 30 minutes isn't good for you, your back, or your motivation.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Not a dude, but chubby so I am giving my $.02 :) when you feel comfortable enough maybe try some hiit training on the treadmill. You really cant spot reduce so when you lose it will come from all over. Maybe pick up some dumbells and do some circuit training too. I use you tube for some quick and challenging workouts.
  • shannongoneau
    shannongoneau Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means a chubby dude, but I am a chubby dudette :) You’re doing good, it takes a while to get the hang of the treadmill. Keep doing what you’re doing. If you can, try and keep your posture straight and your hands straight (don't ball them up into fists), keep your shoulders down and relaxed, and try not to take more than 2 days off from running or doing cardio activities. it can kill any endurance you've built up prior to taking a few days off. It’s also recommended to try using an incline of at least 1.0 to give the idea of running outside. Keep at 'er!
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress! It sounds like you have a little work ahead of you to strengthen your core. That will provide the stability you need to let go and stand up straight (no need to lean back). The motion should feel natural. If you need to slow down a little while you work on your form, go for it. Increase the speed as you get stronger. I don't have chubby dude or fitness guru credentials, but I do spend some quality time with a treadmill.
  • MadTownD
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, all! :smile:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    For the moment just do your best.

If you have to hold the rails for balance just do it.

You can work on speed first then duration later, or do the contrary......just pick one and try to get better with time.

You can do it.

Good luck
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Not a dude either but...maybe add some core exercises to help improve your posture - yoga/pilates is good for the core if you don't think you can do yoga start with simple stretching and find a core exercise that you can improve on over time - but you are seeing progress and this should make you happy :flowerforyou:
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Having face-planted on a treadmill IN PUBLIC, I share your pain.
    My experience... yes, you should be working towards freeing your hands from the rails, but at your pace! Safety first!
    ... yes, moving your arms will make a difference. We do this naturally when walking anyway and it will help on the treadmill. Besides, move more muscles, burn more calories, right?

Sounds like you have got it going on, actually. You doubled your pace, and letting go, even briefly, is progress. Well done!!

Grace
  • MadTownD
    Options
    Again, thanks everyone. :smile:
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    For the moment just do your best.

If you have to hold the rails for balance just do it.

You can work on speed first then duration later, or do the contrary......just pick one and try to get better with time.

You can do it.

Good luck

Good Advice. You have gotten the important part, in that you are DOING. When I returned to exercise I had to start by just walking in place during commercial breaks on TV. I now do some pretty challenging stuff that involves walking so Best advice is keep going, do what you can without injury and let time do its work. .
  • MadTownD
    Options
    FoNeZLX.gif
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    FoNeZLX.gif

LOL! Clearly, you will fit in well here. I was scared to death that was going to be me the first time I tried doing wind sprints on the treadmill. I would have done the whole face planting and rocketing towards the other end of the gym bit as well however.

As for walking on the treadmill, I would stick with most of the advice you've already gotten. Slow it down if you need to, but add in the inclines for more challenge cardiovascularly. Work on your posture, because ideally, yes, you need to be standing up strait (although I do tend to almost tilt forward a little at faster speeds, but you won't need to worry about that for a while). Try to work your hands off the rails, again go slower if you need to, but don't do anything that makes you feel like you're about to wipe out.

Basically, keep plugging away at it and you'll be shocked at how quickly your treadmill technique improves.

Oh, and take the walks outside sometimes if possible.
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    No dude here, but also think you're doing great because you're up and moving and that's what it's all about.

My PT told me when I first started out to try and have it on a 1% incline as well, apparently you get less pain in your calf muscles.

As your fitness levels improve you'll be able to do more and more. ???????? just do it at your own pace. ????
  • MountainTopMom
    MountainTopMom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm a fat dudette and have just started here and on the treadmill. Lucky enuf to have my treadmill in my house.
    Just wanted to say good job and just do what you can. If you get frustrated, you might decide it's too much and quit. So just keep doing what you're doing and endurance/balance/incline will come. It WILL NOT come if you quit.

Good job!

(edited to add...) Oh, and I so second the motion on yoga! Very much has improved my posture and core and I am aware of my posture throughout the day now! Usually they also offer a very mild yoga for those with physical limitations. My instructor offers a "senior" class done in chairs. Highly recommend looking in to yoga!
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    FoNeZLX.gif

Love it
    Keep working at it, you're doing GREAT

From a chubby dudette who uses the rails to hold on also.
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree with the others. Keep up the good work.

I am not chubby anymore however I can tell you that many times I still use the rails for balance. I think it's an eye sight thing with me and the treadmill it throws my balance off at times. But that should not stop you from getting in a good workout.

Good luck.
  • Stokejay
    Stokejay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just another note, I used the treadmill a lot during weight loss , and I think that it is important to find your natural pace and rhythm from the real world when on the treadmill. It sounds daft but even going under/over a certain mile an hour can be an unnatural pace that is hard to stick to. Play about with different speed increments until it feels just right.