cheese

Options
I love cheese on eggs (poached) and salads, but need to use the most low fat cheese. I tend to like sharper flavors. Any ideas? Typically, my protein cals are low and fat and sugar are high. I am having easier time figuring out how to reduce sugar than I am fat!

Also, I am trying to tone muscles and possibly see less fat than muscle! In addition to cardio I ma doing WII strength training with ankle weights and free weights.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Debbie

Replies

• angulasalajillo
    Options
    Not sure where you are based so this might not be the most useful of answers!! :frown:

In the UK there are some pretty tasty reduced fat cheese - Cathedral City do a Lighter Mature Cheddar, as do Pilgrim's Choice.

For taste though, the Asda reduced fat extra mature cheddar takes some beating. :love:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    why are you using low-fat cheese? Your body needs a certain amount of fat...

(I'll use cheddar as my example here) I have found that I use less cheese and get more flavor if I use 'sharp' or 'old' cheddar, than if I use the 'mild' or 'medium'. So, more flavor for less calories...

In general, I find it easier to NOT over-eat if I get a moderate amount of fat in my foods - it makes you feel full for longer.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i like Parmesan cheese because it packs a big flavor. i can sprinkle a half a serving on my egg dishes and feel like I got my cheesy deliciousness. but i dont have an alternative to cheese.
  • sparklepo86
    Options
    Hi Deb,
    I SO hear this. When I started using myfitnesspal, the fat from my cheese consumption was my first big "oh my god". I have the same taste in cheese as you do and I've found two good replacements so far. KerryGold Dubliner Irish Cheddar is super sharp and delicious and it comes in a reduced fat version. Up until now I've only seen the reduced fat one at Whole Foods but it may be at BJs too because they carry the regular. I also like Feta and I can barely tell the taste different in Trader Joe's Light Feta.
    I'm not one of those people who say things taste the same when they clearly don't, but these two are really working for me. I hope that helps.
    JR
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    use the cheese you like, and account for it in your daily calories. i have found that "reduced fat" is generally only slightly reduced fat and calories, and usually greater sodium or sugars.

as far as toning your body, you can keep doing what you're doing. you can try this too: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to reduce the number of calories in the meal by using low fat cheese? Or just cut fat? Dietary fat isn't bad for you, and is essential to many of our bodies processes. Eat full fat cheese...anything else is gross, lol. (I do use low fat dairy like skim milk and low fat yogurt, but cheese? Eeew. Low fat cheese is like wax.) If it fits in your calorie goal, eat it. Don't worry about fat content. Fat isn't bad for you.

If you open your diary, you'll get more/better suggestions for how to deal with fats if you think you are over consuming.

(Also, unless you are diabetic or have some other reason to be concerned...you can pretty much ignore the MFP default sugar setting as a goal)
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Are you using shredded cheese on your eggs and salad? My biggest help has been the discovery that half a serving of shredded cheese is usually more than enough to satisfy me on those things. That way I still get to enjoy the cheese, but it's only 40-50 calories instead of 80-100. Like other said, the fat content isn't something you need to be concerned about unless your doctor says you should be.

If you're using block cheese on these things, I'd suggest switching to shredded and saving the block cheese for other things that actually need it. A serving of block cheese really feels like so little.
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmmm cheese! I'm in the "eat the cheese you love" camp, but if you're in the US, Trader Joe's has a reduced-fat Celtic Cheddar and Smoked Gouda that are both fantastic.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your cheese on a scale? A one ounce serving of cheddar is only 114 calories and one ounce is quite a bit in my opinion. I just did a search of the food database and 1 oz. of reduced fat is 90 calories. That's only 24 calories between you and happiness.
  • epicdorgon
    Options
    I think you should try something like Cottage Cheese. It's VERY low in fat/calories. Only 97 calories per 100 grams. It tastes great! Feta cheese is another great option. :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your cheese on a scale? A one ounce serving of cheddar is only 114 calories and one ounce is quite a bit in my opinion. I just did a search of the food database and 1 oz. of reduced fat is 90 calories. That's only 24 calories between you and happiness.

this^^ and do not mistake reducing fat intake by your MACROS as a way to reduce your body's fat. Enjoy those extra 24 calories, and remeber the fat and protein MACROS are minimums, try exceeding them each day, your body will thank you.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit that I eat fat free cheese sometimes, but I do. I like the Lifetime Jalapeno Jack. The reason why I eat the fat free is not because I'm scared of fat, but because I'd rather use my fat calories for something else - like butter. Also, the Lifetime packs a good protein punch, which I need to hit my protein requirements.

I save the oooey goooey yummy full fat cheese for when I'm indulging with friends and wine :-)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I went through the low fat phase too as there was plenty of misinformation about it. The good news is that we need fat so enjoy your full fat cheese and whole eggs. If you need to add extra protein relative to your fat intake you can still push it up with lean meats and egg whites to balance your macros, but overall low fat isn't the way to go.