Doing my meal planning for next week...

Options
lmr9
lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
...and looking for new ideas. What's your favorite go-to recipe on week nights? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Missabled
    Options
    I buy 99% lean plainville ground turkey breast....crumble it into a fry pan with some diced onion...brown, add a packet of Frontera taco seasoning/sauce, (where taco stuff is in any grocery store)....(takes all of 10 mins)..reduce heat, cover, and let it simmer while I prepare a bed of lettuce, diced tomato, and 1/4cup of shredded 4 cheese mexican shredded cheese. (another 5 to 10 mins)
    Sometimes I add a little sprinkle of cumin, some sea salt, cayenne pepper, etc...

Then I divide the 16 oz of turkey into 4 1/2 cup (4 oz) servings. (can freeze the other 3)

and pile 4 oz of the seasoned turkey on top of the lettuce pile....add a dollop of Fage plain greek yogurt (to replace sour cream).. for higher protein...

Sometimes if I need to "up" my carbs a bit I will have one taco shell crushed up in the lettuce mix....

also sometimes I add an entire can of Muir Glen stewed tomatoes to the turkey after its cooked thru...if I am extra hungry....this gives it a little more bulk...and you are only eating approx. 1/4 of the can when you divide it up into 4 servings...so the sodium isn't too bad...:)

Viola!!! High protein, low carb, yummy taco salad!!!....

Edit: The turkey is BREAST, so it doesn't really brown...just cook thru so it's not pink anymore.... ????
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    ooo, taco salad - yum!
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Pesto chicken...

Place 4-4oz chicken breasts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Put a tsp of jarred pesto on each chicken breast, bake for 15 minutes at 400. Take out add sliced tomato and mozzarella cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes. The chicken is so moist!!!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I just did tri-color pasta with broiled pork. It came in pretty high-calorie (intentionally) but you could lighten it up -- 1oz (dry) pasta per serving, 3oz lean broiled pork (cubed), red sauce instead of the pesto I used (or skip sauce and just season with fresh herbs), and no cheese. If you're willing to take a calorie bomb, I used 2oz pasta, 6oz pork, 2Tbsp pesto, and almost an ounce of cheddar, as well as 100g diced fresh tomatoes. It's a big meal that way, for sure, but it's got loads of protein and healthy fats (which is why I had it -- those are the macros I need, and I have calories to spare). Also, it was delicious.

Another one I like is deconstructed enchiladas. Line a baking sheet with 1/2 cup refried beans (I use canned) per person, add a 4oz chicken breast pounded thin for each person, smother with enchilada sauce, and bake covered at 400F for 40 minutes (uncover for final 10 minutes). It's surprisingly low-cal this way; I usually up the ante by using 3/4 cup refried beans, putting down a layer of Mexican cheese on top of the beans, and tossing in some black olives. Serve by putting the chicken on a plate and ladling the beans on top. You can put it over a carb like rice or tortillas if you want to, serve it over fresh greens as an enchilada salad, or just have some steamed veggies on the side.
  • Leisalynn84
    Leisalynn84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Stir fry veggies with yakisoba noodles!
  • zapampnmp
    Options
    I am roasting a ton of chicken and veggies {separately} to throw in or on to salads and frittatas or stir fries
  • sweetmommyofthree
    sweetmommyofthree Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    A lot of yummy sounding recipes!
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Don't know where to begin, I have so many! Are you looking for you or for the family?

VLC Chicken Chili-Make it on the weekend so it's grab and go anytime during the week. No beans, so my family will eat it, too.
    Fish Tacos, or any tacos (but I don't use regular tortillas)
    Grilled chicken...anything....I grill a bunch of chicken on Sunday, eat it as is, on a salad, add it to homemade veggie soup, use it for chicken quesadillas, chicken melt sandwiches, toss it in with creamy spinach artichoke sauce over tortellini, or make chicken salad with avacado-red onion- and sometimes bacon....no mayo.
    BLT's, but no bread for me, just on the lettuce...like a lettuce wrap.

HOPE THESE HELP!
  • zapampnmp
    Options
    I didn't post this yesterday because it is kinda high fat but if you are on a low carb thing it is a good one

thai curry

1 Tbs coconut oil << heat in pan
    1 lb sliced, cubed, shredded, ground meat of choice << sauté in oil
    1 can coconut milk<< can be light tho I always use the full fat one. Not sweetened please
    1-3 Tbs curry paste red, green, yellow doesn't matter {these are not the curry made with coconut milk already but small jars of just the paste… has consistency of tomato paste}

throw in last 2 ingredients and simmer for @ 20 mins while rice cooks

add in at least 2 cups of veggies that are pre-cooked or steam sautéed {see earlier post about cooking blobs of veggies over weekend} carrots, broccoli, green beans whatever you have on hand

warm those up and serves 2-4 depending on how veggie-ful it is

Takes half an hour from start to finish.

last time I made this i got 522 calories for dinner with 306mg sodium. I am sure the calories wouldn't have been so high if I had used light coconut milk but I have one more can of full fat before I stock up on more and sorry I cannot afford to throw food away so eating what I have and replacing with healthier versions
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I made great chicken burgers the other night. To a pack of ground chicken I added some Worcestershire sauce, some dijon mustard, some fresh cracked black pepper, and some garlic powder. I mixed it well, then divided it into four patties and cooked them on my George Foreman grill. When they were done, I melted a slice of Sargento Ultra Thin sharp cheddar on top of each one. I skipped the bun and had mine with some quinoa and some roasted carrots and parsnips. Including the cheese, each burger is just over 180 calories.
  • Krikit34
    Krikit34 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Portobella Pizzas (for those who like mushrooms)

Heat oven to 375. Spray tops of a couple of large portobella mushroom caps with non-stick spray. Bake for 10 min. Take out. Remove excess liquid. Top with pizza sauce, onion, green peppers, mozzarella and parmesan cheese (whatever toppings you like) and bake for another 10 minutes.

Super easy...two large mushrooms fill me up. I only put a few veggies, sauce and cheese on mine and both together are under 170 calories!
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Pita pizzas - whole grain pitas with 'za toppings and bake 10ish minutes at 350
    Spaghetti
    Cheater Pad Thai by Happy Herbivore
    Soup - chuck some veggies in a pot with broth and simmer 30ish minutes
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken and veggies
    Spaghetti squash with meatballs and tomato sauce
    Tacos/taco salad
    Chicken sausage with veggies
    Anything from skinnytaste.com
  • TooTatToTrot
    TooTatToTrot Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Honey Mustard, BBq and buffalo chicken tenders. All homemade. Doesnt take long