Should i be lifting heavy weights?

Options
Hello, I am new to the fitness world and have been doing HIIT for the past 3 weeks and have lost about 10 pounds already. It really makes me feel great that i have lost weight but i'm still not seeing the actual results on my body. I still look the same as if i had weighed 10 pounds more 3 weeks ago! My question is, should i be lifting heavy weights a long with HIIT since i am working out with my own body weight of 224 lbs? Or will i tone up soon?

Replies

• professormudd1
    Options
    Your initial weight loss is probably mostly water. You should be doing weight training to preserve your muscle while you go through your weight loss journey, but don't expect to build too much if you are on a calorie deficit.

Also, you won't "see" a difference for quite some time, but stick to it. You will feel it before you see it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    It's advisable if you want mostly fat loss when losing weight, if not then it doesn't matter.
  • kschlap
    kschlap Posts: 15
    Options
    I think that if you've got people guiding your fitness goals then you should probably be listening to them. That being said, I've always been of the mindset that great abs start in the kitchen. If you're over estimating the number of calories you need then you might be putting fat on top of the definition. Another thing to remember is that progress in the weight room is slow, you really need to have patience. I've been doing the Brad Pitt Fight Club workout for 24 days now and have really seen good results, but my overall definition has only gotten better because I've been eating really healthy too.