Hairy bikers diet recipes

Options
Hi

Has anyone cooked any of the hairy bikers low cal recipes?

Just wondering if I should by their book but not sure if anyone had weight loss success through it

Thanks

Replies

• lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have both the books and use them almost daily. The food in them is really tasty!

Only one thing, be sure to create a recipe here and add all your ingredients to that instead of just logging the calories it says in the book because I've found they can either overestimate or underestimate the calories per serving in the book. In fairness I still haven't found anything go over 600cals so still good sized meals.

But it just depends on your ingredients. For example, for the Chicken Paprika it says '12 boneless skinless chicken thighs) but gives no corresponding weight, so it completely depends on the size of the thighs you buy. Another example is for one recipe it says '5 medium carrots'. What is medium to me might be small or large to you!

Overall, yes I recommend them and they've completely changed my thinking about eating while on a 'diet', but just be sure you log correctly and don't assume their serving calories are correct.
  • Brunty554
    Options
    Thanks. Are the recipes fairly normal food or is it a bit faffy?

What types of meals have you tried?

Thanks
  • gymbunny1962
    gymbunny1962 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Got both of their diet books - love them! They're not faddy at all - nice, tasty, no nonsense food that the whole family can eat. Friday night I did the Piri Piri Chicken from the newest book. Think this was my favourite - will definitely do again. Loads of spicy recipes - we like our curries (they have a chapter on 'fakeaways'). Have lots more yet to try - goulash, stroganoff, beef in red wine, ravioli, liver and bacon, sausage and gravy........ Go for it!

I've also got a lot of weightwatchers books - try Simply Suppers, Family Food, etc. on Amazon. A lot of it is changing cooking techniques - for example, beef Wellington but done with filo pastry.

Good luck!!!
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have tried the spanish style chicken and it was great! but no diet recipe book will give you weight loss. You still need to exercise portion control and control your calories in/out. But for recipes and inspiration it's awesome!
  • gymbunny1962
    gymbunny1962 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have tried the spanish style chicken and it was great! but no diet recipe book will give you weight loss. You still need to exercise portion control and control your calories in/out. But for recipes and inspiration it's awesome!

Totally agree! I lost 70 lbs and have maintained for 3 years thanks to books such as this and a good exercise regime. Honestly think so much is down to changing eating habits/taste and the way you cook. There is no doubt that the Hairy Bikers have done a great job - my son bought me 2 of their non-healthy books a couple of years ago (to the amusement of the rest of the family) because I enjoyed their TV programme. Not cooked a single recipe from either book - I was already in maintenance! But loving their new books!
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Are the recipes fairly normal food or is it a bit faffy?

What types of meals have you tried?

Thanks

I've made everything...its all normal food just with some ingredients substituted to lower the calories...I've made burgers, fish pie, chicken pie, fajitas, chicken cordon bleu, chicken korma, beef and red wine casserole, lamb hotpot, pizza, carbonara and loads loads loads more...they are yummy recipes
  • mrshumphreyjr
    Options
    Hi,
    Ive just started using the first book this week. Would agree that the recipes are pretty good, and I found when entering these into my Android App, that most of the book has already been added by other users. Have tried the cranberry muesli and the golden veg soup already this week, and have more of the recipes planned for the next few weeks.