How do I go from this to that? Pictures

Options
2»

Replies

• Sbrn_
    Sbrn_ Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same as OP, same body-type and everything. I'm thin everywhere else but have a disproportionate midsection. I am remedying it with heavy lifting, but what always confuses me is whether I should be eating at maintenance or at a deficit. Which is it? I have no weight to lose, but I definitely have too much body fat, so surely a deficit is better, right? I was thinking of staying around the 1500 calorie mark. I really don't want to screw-up my metabolism and end up having very low maintenance calories... I like food too much :blushing:
  • girlyfied
    girlyfied Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Eating right will help. Weight training is one if the greatest creations ever. When done correctly, it will change your body like nothing else. Also, be consistent. Just do the same few things most days.

Thanks! What do you mean do the same few things most days? In reference to weights?

I mean following your eating plan and exercising. Stick to it most days.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    First of all, stop comparing yourself to other women. You may not have the genetics to look like those girls in the pictures, and they could be airbrushed for sales purposes.

Secondly, you can't spot reduce.

Finally, I have found that weight lifting helps the over-all body composition.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Those examples of yours are very lean women. No amount of lifting or cardio will get you there - if that is truly what you want, you have a long stretch of strictly controlled dieting ahead of you.

The tough part is that you aren't very big right now, so it will have to be small deficits for an extended period of time. And small deficits are...well, it ain't easy, as even small misjudgements can blow the deficit away...

Good luck!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    - deleted -
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My stomach is very similar to yours, how long will it take her stomach size to decrease roughly - months or a year with a consistent calorie deficit and strength training?
  • Whambam087
    Options
    First of all, stop comparing yourself to other women. You may not have the genetics to look like those girls in the pictures, and they could be airbrushed for sales purposes.

I agree not everyone can look like exactly like that...but weightlifting IS CRUCIAL for reshaping and sculpting if you will your body. And when I say weight lifting I don't mean 5 pound light weights for a million reps, but heavier weights that you can do for 8-12 reps. Follow a good full body or upper lower body split that focuses on the big compound lifts that work multiple muscle groups at once. Excessive cardio isnt necessary and is actually counterproductive. 30 minutes three times a week is plenty. No need to be neurotic about your diet and 100 percent clean all the time but most of your food should be whole unprocessed foods. Lean meats, whole grains, veggies, healthy fats...Not only are they more nutritious but they are more filling and satiating
  • Kilo321
    Kilo321 Posts: 44
    Options
    I honestly don't think you have far to go. You look great. Just dedicate yourself to the lifestyle change and follow the advise given and you will get there. And as said before, stop comparing. ( I'm guilty of it too)
  • rk_19
    rk_19 Posts: 92
    Options
    My stomach is very similar to yours, how long will it take her stomach size to decrease roughly - months or a year with a consistent calorie deficit and strength training?

Hey! I THINK it should be in months.. hope it's not a year+. But we don't have massive amounts to lose, its all about recomposition :)
  • rk_19
    Options

I agree not everyone can look like exactly like that...but weightlifting IS CRUCIAL for reshaping and sculpting if you will your body. And when I say weight lifting I don't mean 5 pound light weights for a million reps, but heavier weights that you can do for 8-12 reps. Follow a good full body or upper lower body split that focuses on the big compound lifts that work multiple muscle groups at once. Excessive cardio isnt necessary and is actually counterproductive. 30 minutes three times a week is plenty. No need to be neurotic about your diet and 100 percent clean all the time but most of your food should be whole unprocessed foods. Lean meats, whole grains, veggies, healthy fats...Not only are they more nutritious but they are more filling and satiating

thank you!! this was really helpful :) but one thing - i can't do really heavy weights w/o the help of my trainer :/ as in, physically he helps me
  • rk_19
    Options
    I honestly don't think you have far to go. You look great. Just dedicate yourself to the lifestyle change and follow the advise given and you will get there. And as said before, stop comparing. ( I'm guilty of it too)

hey thanks :) means a lot!!
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 236 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking. The girl in the first picture has quite wide hips. No matter now much weight you lose you might not get that waist to hip ratio. You can weight train and bulk up your thighs a bit but it's not the same. If you are apple shaped, you can't really become hourglass or pear.
  • TrishDevine
    Options
    I am married to a photographer and he says that first image is airbrushed - her waist has been reduced. Also, remember that many of these models are natural ectomorphs (ie: very thin - a bmi of 17 or 18), and often VERY tall. They often look great in pictures but like freaks in real life. You don't look to me like you're in any way overweight, so just aim to stay fit and healthy. 90 per cent of it is eating right. For myself, I believe the gentler exercises are more suitable for women, as they can be kept up during your period, pregnancy and later during menopause - walking, swimming, yoga, ballet - the latter three will give you a strong, toned core and the latter two give you long, lean muscles rather than bulk.
  • Whambam087
    Options

thank you!! this was really helpful :) but one thing - i can't do really heavy weights w/o the help of my trainer :/ as in, physically he helps me
    Heavy means you should be able to lift the weight for 8-12 reps and not much more beyond that. For instance lets say I'm aiming for 10 reps. If I can barely lift the weights for a couple reps, it's way too heavy and I need lighter weights. If you can keep lifting the weight with hardly any effort beyond the 10 reps the weight is too light. You get a feel for the right weight after awhile. If your trainer is lifting the weight for you I think your lifting way too heavy. You should challenge yourself but a spotter is not there to lift the weight for you but to make sure you don't hurt yourself. For instance lets say I'm doing the bench press but I overestimated the weight or I'm just tired after so many reps and I'm really struggling to lift the bar back up. The spotter will assist with bringing the bar back up so I don't drop it on myself.
  • rk_19
    Options
    Gotcha :) thanks a lot!