advice on protein shakes?

Options
first question, are they worth it? do they work?

im only looking to lose a stone and tone up. I have no idea about shakes and if they are even worth it for the weight im trying to lose.
if you use them which ones would you suggest and when do you drink them? before or after the gym, the only people I know who use shakes are bodybuilding and using bulking shakes!

thanks in advance!

Replies

• _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I use this http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/bodytech-whey-tech-pro-24-chocolate-5-15-lb-powder/vs-2543#.UuVZWRAo600

and mix it with one cup of unsweetened almond milk and a banana, I drink it post gym. I use it to meet my protein macros a day, without it I would have a tough time getting all the protein I need a day.

Hope this helps
  • John1610
    John1610 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I tried my first one today, the "PHD Diet Whey: Belgian Chocolate", which is meant to be one of the nice ones. It was rank! Took my over half an hour to finish it.

Some people will always say they are not worth it, but I suppose they are worth a try.

I found that since increasing my protein intake that I am less hungry throughout the day, and also that since I've lowered my carb intake, I no longer crave them as much!
  • sarahwilliams0
    Options
    should have added im in the UK! I will take a look at those ones. I am willing to try them, but I want to know if its going to be worth my while
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    It's just protein and when dieting we need more protein, so depending on the type of foods you eat a shake could be beneficial. When you have a shake has no impact on body composition, so just have it when it's convenient, but nothing wrong consuming before or after a workout.
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I use gold standard and I LOVE it. I've used loads of different brands, but gold standard is deff the best tasting one I've had. They All do the same job but some have more added crap than others! Look for something which is 100% whey.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and I buy Impact Whey Protein (unflavoured) - it's pretty good value for money :smile: I make up a protein shake after I've been to the gym, otherwise I struggle to get enough protein in my diet. Recently, I have been blending it with half an avocado, a banana, and some vanilla essence. Tastes delicious! Other times I have blended it with banana, blueberries and strawberries, or peanut butter, cocoa powder and sugar free coffee syrup... so many options! And all taste like dessert - win win! :bigsmile:
  • sarahwilliams0
    Options
    im going to have to look at how much protein im eating now. I tending to eat a decent meal for my tea. chicken with something, then throughout the day I snack on special k bars or special k cracker crisps, muller lights. toning up is my main focus now as I only need to lose the Christmas weight, about 8 pounds then the other 8 pounds to try and tone up.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    All protein shakes are is protein and maybe some carbs. They own't get you in shape. Take them if you can't reach your protein goals.

Edit: pls stop saying "toned up" just a pet peeve lol
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    at around 50-70 cents a serving, with ~25 grams of protein per serving, its cheaper than meat if you meat costs over $2.80 a pound.

This is why I argue that protein powder isn't expensive.

Its less filling yet more convenient. There is other pros and cons, but, I find it well worth the money.
  • veggiebound
    veggiebound Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm in the UK too. I use USN Diet fuel. The strawberry one fills me up when I'm too busy for lunch, but the chocolate one doesn't seem to thicken enough.
  • kschlap
    kschlap Posts: 15
    Options
    It kinda depends on how much protein you're eating already. I personally like to add a scoop of protein to my morning Kefir smoothie because it helps me to feel a bit fuller throughout the day. Eating something solid isn't really an option in the morning for me because when I wake up I always feel kind of queasy so I like to have a smoothie so I'm getting something in my stomach. That being said, if you're eating an acceptable amount of protein for your body weight already, then it might not be worth it. I've heard that your body can only take in something like 40-50 grams per meal so if you're at that stage then it's not worth it to up the amount at all. I've also read, source was internet so not sure about how legitimate it was, that most people overestimate the amount of protein they need so taking in more might be a waste for you.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am uk. I wasn't meeting my protein or calorie goals so I got the phd white chocolate. Drank one shake then discovered pancakes. Iam in love! They are the best things ever!
    I only use it on days I train. Been pretty enthusiastic about training since I started on them!
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would only eat them if you are trying to gain weight or if for some reason you are unable to get enough protein into your diet (for example, if you were a strict vegan powerlifter, you would probably need to supplement with protein shakes)

Check your protein levels - if they are low eat more eggs, fish, meat, etc...
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    i drink 2 a day, im currently following a personal trainers meal plan so high protein. i use phd diet whey belgium chocolate, and is delicious. tastes like a thick chocolate milkshake!! really depends on your goals, how much protein you are looking to get into your diet and how much you are comfortable getting through normal eating.
  • sarahwilliams0
    Options
    the problem I have is Im a fussy eater, I don't eat eggs, fish, I eat most meat but eating meal everyday isn't really an option for me, I eat a hell of a lot of carbs.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    carbs don't build muscle and that's what you need to get "tone"
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I drink them for two reasons, first as a protein adder especially after a workout at the gym and second as a dessert that doesn't make me feel like I cheated.

If you look around for reviews you find some delicious powders that do taste like a milkshake. I use Muscle Pharm and Trutein, both pretty low calorie(130 and 115) and mix with unsweetened almond milk. A nice treat and a shot of protein.
  • mlazear
    Options
    If you want an alternative to protein shakes, I suggest Greek yogurt/Cottage Cheese, or other high-protein food sources. I use protein shakes because it's hard to hit my protein goal (200 grams) on a deficit, and I like the taste of chocolate whey - it's basically my dessert at night.
  • tiffanydawnn
    tiffanydawnn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition. Banana is what I'm drinking right now, mixed with coconut milk. I use them to help meet my protein requirements. I eat a lot of meat, eggs, etc., but I'm shooting for at least 120g a day and the shakes definitely help. I usually drink one per day, and always after I strength train.
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    the problem I have is Im a fussy eater, I don't eat eggs, fish, I eat most meat but eating meal everyday isn't really an option for me, I eat a hell of a lot of carbs.

agree if you can't get enough protein from foods that you like, it may be a good reason to try the shakes. Other good protein sources - nuts, greek yogurt. One of my favorite snacks is a cup of Fage plain yogurt, with 1 oz almonds mixed in. Provides 26 gms protein. Also has enough fat to keep you satisfied for a while.