Squating lower with heavier weights

Options
I think I have a mental block that I can't figure out why and could do with some advice.
When moving to heavier weights (back and front squats) I find that I stop squating low enough. I know I should go lower, I know I can go lower, I know that if I drop the bar it won't hurt me.
Any thoughts?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    fail a lift on purpose- even with just the bar- it's worth knowing HOW to fail and what that feels like.
  • Krustpie
    Options
    You might have hit the nail on the head, I don't like failing. I'll give it a go next time I am in. Thank you
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go 90 degrees or full squat.

Do a half squat until you feel comfortable with the 'heavy' weight.

You will get stronger and be more comfortable going down to a full squat.

It will take time.

There are so many variations of exercises and tempo squats you can do to improve upon this... but that's a whole other essay to write about.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

It will take time.

There are so many variations of exercises and tempo squats you can do to improve upon this... but that's a whole other essay to write about.

half squats won't make someone able to do full squats, because it doesn't work the muscles necessary to do full squats. you just end up being able to do half squats with really heavy weights, and full squats only with light weights.

if someone can't go below parallel on squats, they need to deload to a weight at which they can go parallel, then work up to heavier weights by squatting below parallel and increasing the weight on the bar as their strength increases

if someone can't go below parallel at all, then that's a form issue and that needs to be worked on before putting weights on the bar, or even just holding a broomstick.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I squat and deadlift on the same day. So I lower the weight on the squat rack and then rack pull it to the floor. I've done this with weight I wasn't comfortable repping out on a squat...at first. Now I'm not as intimidated by the weight, helped me add 30 pounds to my squat in 1 day! =)
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I find I go slightly shallower the heavier the weight, but always at least to parallel. If I find I can't hit parallel on a weight, I deload, focusing on getting even lower into my squat on any given weight.
  • mdivamuffin
    mdivamuffin Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I realised I wasn't going low enough and decided to go right back down to a low weight. I started with a 7kg bar and have been adding around 1kg each time I squat. I'm on 10.5kg now with perfect form, going below parallel on each squat. I would really recommend doing this and taking it slow.
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    When I was first squatting in a commercial gym I would grab one of the aerobic steps and set it up at a height that would get me a below parallel squat. I would lightly touch the step at the bottom of each rep and that ensured consistent depth and kept me from cheating on heavier weights.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    could be a lot of things, but, weak hamstrings is my guess.... as it gets heavier you may lean forward and put more on weight your quads.. think about where you feel it in your foot... do you stop driving thru the heels and move forward in the foot.. if so its probably what I suggested... thsi is pretty common... If you fall into this rut its good to remember that your proper warmup sets are crucial because they are the only ones helping your hams catch up. lengthening the hams thru stretching is also very helpful

if you have this issue youlll also find yourself having your butt higher on heavier deadlifts and itll recruit more back and cause some rounding most likely

the obvious solution is to work on your hamstrings thru proper form, isolation exercises (e.g. lying leg curls), and stretching the hams properly
  • amastre
    amastre Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    could be a lot of things, but, weak hamstrings is my guess.... as it gets heavier you may lean forward and put more on weight your quads.. think about where you feel it in your foot... do you stop driving thru the heels and move forward in the foot.. if so its probably what I suggested... thsi is pretty common... If you fall into this rut its good to remember that your proper warmup sets are crucial because they are the only ones helping your hams catch up. lengthening the hams thru stretching is also very helpful

if you have this issue youlll also find yourself having your butt higher on heavier deadlifts and itll recruit more back and cause some rounding most likely

the obvious solution is to work on your hamstrings thru proper form, isolation exercises (e.g. lying leg curls), and stretching the hams properly

Hamstrings aren't the most important muscle group in squats, and actually, over engaging them may limit the amount of weight one can squat ( http://pushingitfurther.com/?p=106 ). Hamstrings are crucial to deadlifts, and having good mobility in the muscle is important, but glute activation is far more important in squats than hamstring activation.
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options

It will take time.

I have to disagree. You need to go to parallel or lower. If you can't with a heavy weight you need to deload.

Also, I hope you are doing warm up sets before your work set. For example if your work sets are at 245, do something like the following:

2 sets of 5 with the empty barm(45 lbs)
    1 set of 5 at 115
    1 set of 5 at 145
    1 set of 3 at 185
    1 set of 2 at 205

For each of these, it should be fairly easy to ensure that you go below parallel. THen when you get to your work sets you'll have perfected your technique and can focus solely on the weight
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

Hamstrings aren't the most important muscle group in squats, and actually, over engaging them may limit the amount of weight one can squat ( http://pushingitfurther.com/?p=106 ). Hamstrings are crucial to deadlifts, and having good mobility in the muscle is important, but glute activation is far more important in squats than hamstring activation.

From the link you provided (supporting what I said):

" I personally think you should instead squat in a more efficient manner (either high or low bar, trying to maintain a more upright torso and prioritizing quad involvement), while also doing some accessory work for your hamstrings such as GHRs, hamstring curls, or RDLs since, like we’ve already established, the squat is NOT a good hamstring builder anyways!

Now, just to preempt a question I know will pop up – I am NOT saying you shouldn’t train your hamstrings. Strong hamstrings mean a big deadlift, healthy knees, and a potentially lower risk of hamstring tears. Just don’t use the squat to train your hamstrings. Use hamstrings exercises to train your hamstrings."

I never said hamstrings are the dominating muscle in a squat, but, Both I and the author of that article would agree that its a crucial muscle to the squat and that they need to be trained for you to maintain proper form. If you don't see that in the text than I doubt you read teh article.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

It will take time.

Congratulations on the worst squat advice ever.

OP: Try working in paused squats to your program. It will make you more comfortable in the hole. And be sure you're keeping your air in your core until you're on your way back up in each repetition. Some people get a wee bit of panic as weights get heavier and lose tightness in the descent through the hips, which can also tend to make them reverse the motion before they hit depth.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I think I have a mental block that I can't figure out why and could do with some advice.
    When moving to heavier weights (back and front squats) I find that I stop squating low enough. I know I should go lower, I know I can go lower, I know that if I drop the bar it won't hurt me.
    Any thoughts?

You could use a Smith machine to get used to slowly learning the movement of a full squat. Once grooved - take it to the free weights. This could take months or even longer, so be patient and focus on correct form.

That being said, a full squat vs. a parallel (or slightly above parallel) squat is always full of debate. Depending on your goals or needs or what you do for athletics - a full squat may not be necessary. Cylcists, sprinters and runners benefit more from just going to parallel or slightly above parallel. You could throw everyone who leads a more sedentary life into that category as well. Powerlifters are the ones who benefit the most from a full squat. And depending on your age and how much meniscus you have left in the knee - you may or may not want to be going to a full squat position in the first place.

If you are a powerlifter or trying to break some gym records - then go for the full squat position even though it could take months to years to learn. Otherwise, I serioiusly would not worry about it. I think the best rule I've heard is "better to be high and safe, than break parallel and your back ". I'm a cyclist/runner and stay slightly above parrallel to parallel - not to mention both knees have been scoped. My son, goes full squat and broke every squat record at his school. We both benefit from our own version of the squats.
  • amastre
    amastre Posts: 176 Member
    Options

From the link you provided (supporting what I said):

" I personally think you should instead squat in a more efficient manner (either high or low bar, trying to maintain a more upright torso and prioritizing quad involvement), while also doing some accessory work for your hamstrings such as GHRs, hamstring curls, or RDLs since, like we’ve already established, the squat is NOT a good hamstring builder anyways!

Now, just to preempt a question I know will pop up – I am NOT saying you shouldn’t train your hamstrings. Strong hamstrings mean a big deadlift, healthy knees, and a potentially lower risk of hamstring tears. Just don’t use the squat to train your hamstrings. Use hamstrings exercises to train your hamstrings."

I never said hamstrings are the dominating muscle in a squat, but, Both I and the author of that article would agree that its a crucial muscle to the squat and that they need to be trained for you to maintain proper form. If you don't see that in the text than I doubt you read teh article.

The fact that you jumped right to the conclusion of weak hamstrings being the problem gave me the impression that you believed them to be a primary mover in the squat motion. Forgive my misinterpretation.

The hamstrings are important, I would never deny that, but I think assuming that's the first problem in someone's squat is a faulty assumption. quad strength and technique is more important. Overly cueing the hamstrings actually reduces the amount of knee extension in the squat, leading to a weaker squat. IT might not be super important at this point in the OP's lifting career, but hamstring dominant squats can lead to the development of bad form issues, such as the 'good morning squat' which can be a stumbling block in the future.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    Cylcists, sprinters and runners benefit more from just going to parallel or slightly above parallel. You could throw everyone who leads a more sedentary life into that category as well. Powerlifters are the ones who benefit the most from a full squat. And depending on your age and how much meniscus you have left in the knee - you may or may not want to be going to a full squat position in the first place.

No one benefits from squatting above parallel except people who prefer to have their knees shredded.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    Cylcists, sprinters and runners benefit more from just going to parallel or slightly above parallel. You could throw everyone who leads a more sedentary life into that category as well. Powerlifters are the ones who benefit the most from a full squat. And depending on your age and how much meniscus you have left in the knee - you may or may not want to be going to a full squat position in the first place.

No one benefits from squatting above parallel except people who prefer to have their knees shredded.

The cycling stroke ends just above parallel. Squatting to a very similar position is specific training for the pedal stroke and is well used by professional cyclists. One of the greatest coaches for Olympic sprinters in history advocated the 1/2 squats for all his sprinters and runners.

Just saying - we don't all have the same needs (or knees) when it comes to the squat. I have no idea what the OP's needs are which is why I asked.
  • Huffdogg
    Options

The cycling stroke ends just above parallel. Squatting to a very similar position is specific training for the pedal stroke and is well used by professional cyclists. One of the greatest coaches for Olympic sprinters in history advocated the 1/2 squats for all his sprinters and runners.

Just saying - we don't all have the same needs (or knees) when it comes to the squat. I have no idea what the OP's needs are which is why I asked.

I get that the cycling stroke mimics a half squat, but above-parallel squatting is what damages people's knees. The squat movement is dramatically different than the cycling movement, with joint loading that makes it potentially detrimental in partial ROM. I'd love to see something by this Olympic coach you are referring too.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options

I get that the cycling stroke mimics a half squat, but above-parallel squatting is what damages people's knees. The squat movement is dramatically different than the cycling movement, with joint loading that makes it potentially detrimental in partial ROM. I'd love to see something by this Olympic coach you are referring too.

Charlie Francis - author of Speed Trap (where it is all explained), coach of some of the world's best sprinters. Unfortunately, some of them were in the era of PED's (Ben Johnson), but the entire body of his coaching career consistently produced some of the best running athletes in history.

Cyclists do a lot of "jump squats" in the final power phase of weight training (using 45-60% of 1RM weight) which really requires a Smith machine to prevent injury. High and fast repetiions with lower weights that begin from the parallel position. Again - these are cycling specific squats and the leg position at the top of the stroke is parallel to slightly above parallel depending on the cyclists bike set up. The internet and books on cycling are filled with images and descriptions of not doing full squats. Sorry.
  • Krustpie
    Options
    Oh Crumbs what have I started? I know I have to squat lower & with form. Unloading and moving up slower sounds like great advice and failing on purpose also might stop my block on increasing the load. Thank you all for your comments and I will see how I get on this week.