Homemade Soup & Salt/Sodium

Options
Hi all, not a great cook (or dieter for that matter) so hoping for a few tips.
I set out today to make some homemade soup (rather than buying supermarket pre-made for my lunch at work) so I could try to reduce my salt intake, which I believe is preventing me from losing any weight.
So tonight I made some awesome carrot and cinnamon soup, it tastes amazing, and I was so proud of myself - until I read the label on the vegetable stock cube I used. It seems to contain way more salt than any of the supermarket pre-made soups do. :(
How do I get round this? All the soup recipes I've seen so far have called for the use of stock, and they all just seem to be pure salt. Can I just use plain water instead, or will that not work? (The recipe called for carrots, vegetable stock & light cream cheese - plus pepper to taste and I added the cinnamon on a whim).
One step forward, two steps back, sigh!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You can use plain water, but stock will give you more flavor. There are a lot of lower sodium varieties of broths and stocks out there in cans or cartons - look for them next time you're shopping. :smile: You can also add a lot of flavor without salt with herbs and salt-free spice varieties.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Next time buy low sodium broth.

Also you don't need to go low sodium to lose weight
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Make your own stock. Just google plenty of simple Vege stock recipes (I now make mine up as I go along) I make a large batch and freeze it in Pint containers
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Shop around/look online for low sodium options; there are several that also taste good. Remember that the sodium is based on the number of servings you decide to divide up your recipe into as well! I :heart: soup!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Store Bought Stock - If you are going to buy store bought stock, I recommend Rachel Rays Chicken Low-Sodium Stock. It's got less than half of the amount of sodium of every single of thing on the shelve (including the health food section). If I am in a pinch and can't make homemade, I make that.

Homemade - Homemade stocks are the way to go. When I make a soup from scratch, I started off cooking a giant pot of water on low with beef stewers and let them cook all day. What some people don't realize is that is the key to a great soup (I deal with Italians and Croatians all the time who are VERY big into their soup.). It's an all day adventure, but you can portion it off and toss it in the freezer for soups down the road.

Vegeta - Yes, it has sodium. However, when you are just putting in a couple teaspoons of it into a giant pot of soup (at the end, which is key) it goes far!

I make all the soups in my house homemade. Let me know if you would like any recipes! :smile:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Lower sodium stock, or use half or a quarter of a cube instead of a whole one.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    The only way to determine how much in your entire recipe would be to enter it into the "recipes" section of your food section. My low sodium veg soup base has 240 mg of sodium per 5g and the math is complicated (I hate math) but if you enter the recipe and the information properly as a recipe then MFP will give you a breakdown of sodium content etc. I have started using more of the low sodium premade stocks in the carton it is easier to see exactly how much per serving or carton but the cube itself contains that much sodium and is then put into a pot with more ingredients and distributed throughout so it's probably not as bad as you think. The package usually tells you how much water to put with the cube.
  • NatalieLJ
    NatalieLJ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Don't know why I didn't think of low salt stock, probably because my local store don't stock it - just Googled it and found some that's inexpensive and free delivery.
    Would love to make my own, but if I even find time to whizz up my own soup once a week as well as fit in my new exercise regime it'll be a miracle! Plus, I really am not great in the kitchen, my husband has always cooked and I've either worked or looked after our boys. *shameful*
    Got lots of recipes lined up, and so far I'm really pleased as my soup has worked out cheaper and far tastier than the supermarket ones, plus it should be much healthier now I know about low salt stock!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Unless you've recently increased the amount of sodium you're consuming , it's not likely that it's preventing you from losing weight. Steady state of sodium in your body = steady state of water retention (insofar as it's affected by your sodium intake).

If you do want to use stock with less sodium (and, honestly, way more taste, since salt is used to disguise the fact that the commercial stocks don't have much taste to begin with), homemade stock or broth is the way to go, as others have said. And veggie stock (which is what your OP said you were using -- I don't know if that's an always thing for you, or just for this recipe) can be made essentially for free. Just toss veggie scraps in a sealed bag or closed container in your freezer until you are ready to make a batch. I would guess I generally use about a half-cup to a cup of solids to each quart of water, but different kinds of veggies have more or less flavor, so it's hard to give a hard an fast ruleAlso, I don't find that it's an "all-day" affair, especially with veggie broth. After an hour or so, you've pretty much go all of the flavor out of the veggies, I think. Turn off the heat, let it cool (in a bath of ice water, if you're in a hurry or a stickler for food safety), strain (I just use a colander, but you can line it with cheesecloth if you want a really clear broth), portion into containers that hold about the amount you expect to use in a recipe, and freeze (or refrigerate if you will be using in the next couple of days. If something comes up to change your plans and you don't use broth after it's been in the refrigerator three days, just put in on the stove and bring it back to a boil for several minutes and store it in a clean container, although quite honestly I've probably let it go a week sometimes and I'm not dead yet.)

Pretty much everything I use is stuff that would have gone to waste otherwise: stalks of celery from an aging bunch, mushroom stems and trimmings, extra onion when I don't need a whole one and don't feel like chopping the rest to freeze for a future recipe (you don't need to chop the stuff you're going to use for stock/broth), herb stems (mostly parsley) or aging whole herbs that I'm not going to use before they go bad. I've even used more unusual things like asparagus ends and the trimmed parts of fennel, but you probably should plan on using things like that for broth that is going in recipes that will contain asparagus or fennel, etc. You can use the skins of yellow onions (probably others too, but I haven't tried them) and tomatoes to get a darker veggie broth where that's appropriate. In addition to the stuff saved in the freezer, I'll generally toss in some peppercorns and maybe bay leaves or fresh garlic, especially if I'm making it for a specific recipe that I know will want those flavors.

For non-veggie broths, freeze chicken and other poultry carcasses, ham bones, roast beef, veal, and pork bones (generally you only want to use bones from one kind of animal in any given batch) to throw in the stock pot, along with the veggies. You can buy soup bones especially for this purpose if you don't ever cook chickens, bone-in roasts, etc. If you buy raw bones, you may want to roast them before using them to make stock.