Belly fat vs visceral fat?

Options
I keep reading, seeing, hearing about how belly fat is so bad because it is visceral fat. But not all belly fat is visceral, surely it is sometimes subcutaneous.. My husband has all his weight in his belly, but it sure looks and squishes like subcutaneous fat. (I read visceral is usually firm)

I would think the only way to know if there is too much fat around the organs would be some sort of medical scan, right? (I am wondering if I need to bring up visceral fat to my husband simply because he has a little belly ponch. (He,s 5'8" and 140# so not chubby at all, all his fat is in his midsection -front and back, back less--- his arms and legs are quite thin, but his body fat % is 24-25 by caliper)

He had a blood clot heart attack 10 yrs ago and I don,t want visceral fat to add to the situation.

Replies

• EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    From what I understand (and I'm far from an expert) the subcutaneous fat is just what the name says, if you're speaking Latin that is: "Beneath the skin."

So the belly fat is visceral. This is an issue for me too, even as fat has burned, what I have remaining is still focused around my belly. It's becoming clear to me I have to set a more aggressive plan to lower body fat than I originally planned. Even closing in on 20% body fat, the belly pooch is still there and it's not even the looks of a protruding belly that I'm worried about, rather it's the health risks.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    From what I understand (and I'm far from an expert) the subcutaneous fat is just what the name says, if you're speaking Latin that is: "Beneath the skin."

So the belly fat is visceral. This is an issue for me too, even as fat has burned, what I have remaining is still focused around my belly. It's becoming clear to me I have to set a more aggressive plan to lower body fat than I originally planned. Even closing in on 20% body fat, the belly pooch is still there and it's not even the looks of a protruding belly that I'm worried about, rather it's the health risks.

My husbands fat looks just beneath the skin. But maybe he has both. Ourbelly area is covered with skin, so we have just subcutaneous fat there, I would think. Having excess fat just under the skin in the belly region.

It,s odd saying "my husband's fat" because he isn't a fat person! Anyway, I just want his organs healthy. I know I can't make him change anything, but I can at least help be informed of his health and risks.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your husband isn't overweight at all, so you shouldn't worry too much. I would urge him to get more exercise, and maintain his weight, rather than try to lose weight. For a man, 5'8" and 140# is a rather low weight. The "visceral fat" issue is really more about people who are obese.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    It sounds like your husband isn't overweight at all, so you shouldn't worry too much. I would urge him to get more exercise, and maintain his weight, rather than try to lose weight. For a man, 5'8" and 140# is a rather low weight. The "visceral fat" issue is really more about people who are obese.

I kinda figured, but was getting a bit concerned with a bunch of health news things on stomach pudge I had seen recently and his past heart attack. But you are right, he is not overweight at all!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    The whole visceral fat thing is not some weird arcane knowledge you shouldn't expect a GP to know about and discuss (if an issue) in even a standard annual checkup, and if your husband had a heart attack it should be on the doctor's radar. This is pretty basic health stuff. If the doctor hasn't brought up a concern I'd leave it alone, or just prompt my husband to ask his doctor about it at his next checkup. Yes, it is possible for very lean people to have a moderately dangerous amount of visceral fat (I'm not an expert, from what I've heard, the prescription for this -- i.e. lean people with too much visceral fat -- is short bouts of high intensity exercise, not dieting). If there's a question YES they can usually determine this with a scan, though it's not cheap.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

Not true. Visceral fat surrounds the internal organs and is different than subcutaneous fat. Poor diet/nutrition can cause an unhealthy amount of visceral fat, even in those who are not obese.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Visceral fat surrounds the internal organs so your husband would need to get a body scan - DEXA (a.k.a. DXA) scan to accurately assess if it's a real problem for him.

People have different fat distribution so two people with the same fat percentage could have markedly different proportions of visceral and subcutaneous fat. Have you heard the acronym "TOFI"? Thin on the Outside, Fat on the Inside.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Getting a dexa scan tomorrow. I been dying to know what my baggage is made of and how much of it I got. The scale says I'm fat. Will see just how much. :sick:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    just cut a hole and probe around.

Why not instead just not worry about it and get him to the gym, stat.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

plus one.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Visceral fat surrounds the internal organs so your husband would need to get a body scan - DEXA (a.k.a. DXA) scan to accurately assess if it's a real problem for him.

People have different fat distribution so two people with the same fat percentage could have markedly different proportions of visceral and subcutaneous fat. Have you heard the acronym "TOFI"? Thin on the Outside, Fat on the Inside.

This. Belly fat is not automatically visceral fat.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    just cut a hole and probe around.

Why not instead just not worry about it and get him to the gym, stat.

I can't force him to workout if he doesn't want to. But if I can get him informed about some things, he may later decide to hit the gym. Right now he thinks "thin" equals "healthy" so he's fine.
  • mpmckeough
    mpmckeough Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Visceral fat is definitely the bad guy and he's a real ba$tard to get rid of. Most accurate visceral fat measure will be with an MRI. But we have an Omron scale that measures visceral fat (among other things- highly recommended!). I avoided the stupid thing for about a few years because I knew the answer was not going to be good. Finally got the courage and the number showed I was at the top end in the "Very High" range, which is also very high risk. Dropped about 20 pounds but the visceral # wasn't moving much. Did research and did the following: 1. increased exercised intensity, 2. Added more good fats (MUFAs). 3. Added ChiaLIFE to oatmeal and salads. 4. Take Green Coffee Bean capsules a couple times a day. Finally dropped into the "High" zone. Next stop, "Normal".
  • in_the_stars
    Options
    Visceral fat is definitely the bad guy and he's a real ba$tard to get rid of. Most accurate visceral fat measure will be with an MRI. But we have an Omron scale that measures visceral fat (among other things- highly recommended!). I avoided the stupid thing for about a few years because I knew the answer was not going to be good. Finally got the courage and the number showed I was at the top end in the "Very High" range, which is also very high risk. Dropped about 20 pounds but the visceral # wasn't moving much. Did research and did the following: 1. increased exercised intensity, 2. Added more good fats (MUFAs). 3. Added ChiaLIFE to oatmeal and salads. 4. Take Green Coffee Bean capsules a couple times a day. Finally dropped into the "High" zone. Next stop, "Normal".

Your scale measures visceral fat? Wow, scales are getting fancy.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

this^^ at 5 11 and 205 I have the same body fat as OP's hubby. 24% today. What benefit would it be for your husband to know whether his fat is visceral or not? Would he change behavior?
  • in_the_stars
    Options
    What are Green Coffee Bean capsules?
  • mpmckeough
    Options
    Green Coffee Bean capsules are just extracts of the bean in a capsule form. I've never been one to take diet supplements, but thought I would give this a try. Dr. Oz had a nutritionist on that raved about it. It's decaffeinated so won't keep you up at night. So far so good.
  • mpmckeough
    Options

Your scale measures visceral fat? Wow, scales are getting fancy.

Love the Omron scale. Not cheap, ~$100, but worth it. Tells you BMI, Body Fat %, Muscle %, Visceral Fat.